Bear Hole (Springfield area)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bear Hole (Springfield area)

How is it riding here? I see a bit of information online, but nothing seems too current. Is it worth trying out?

Thanks.

Chris

achiever
    Kind of depends what youíre looking for. There is some new single track on the south side of the mass pike. There will be more later this year & I suspect it will link up with whatís there now to make a pretty good loop. Whatís there now is all flat with little climbing.

That said, itís fun to ride the single track then cross under the pike & head up on the east mountain ridge which is full of old doubletrack with plenty of rock gardens & climbing. Best to head up to the New England Trail (M&M trail) & ride that ridge to RT202, cross the road & continue following that to the parking area for Mt. Tom reservoir. The section of the NE trail between Westfield & Mt Tom is really fun & itís very rare that youíll see anybody out there hiking or biking.

BH isnít in the top tier of pioneer valley trail networks but itís a fun place to explore & will definitely give you a workout if you head up to the ridges.
    Last edited by redwarrior; 04-10-2019 at 06:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Resurrecting this thread since a lot of info on riding spots in the Springfield area seems old/not often updated, and its hard to get a good sense of the area from Trailforks.

I'm moving into the area soon and looking to see what some of the more popular spots are that I can check out in the fall/what most people ride in terms of a bike (hardtails/full sus/amount of travel). Thanks!

achiever
    Lots of good riding in this area. Robinson State Park in Agawam -fast, flowy, tight turning singletrack without a lot of elevation change. Ludlow has Facing Rock which is more technical cross country, a bit rocky & can beat you up a bit. In the Notch area, Granby & Amherst, 2 of the most popular trail networks, Batchelor St. & Earls respectively, offer a combined 35+ miles of great riding. There are more networks as you Head into the northern part of the area including DAR state forest in Ashfield, Dubuque sf in Hadley & Wendell sf up in Wendell.

Not sure what youíll find in trailforks for these areas as I do t use it but Iím pretty sure Pioneer Valley NEMBA is doing a few local rides. Pretty sure they can be found on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by LonelyDwarfProd. View Post
    Resurrecting this thread since a lot of info on riding spots in the Springfield area seems old/not often updated, and its hard to get a good sense of the area from Trailforks.

I'm moving into the area soon and looking to see what some of the more popular spots are that I can check out in the fall/what most people ride in terms of a bike (hardtails/full sus/amount of travel). Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redwarrior View Post
    Lots of good riding in this area. Robinson State Park in Agawam -fast, flowy, tight turning singletrack without a lot of elevation change. Ludlow has Facing Rock which is more technical cross country, a bit rocky & can beat you up a bit. In the Notch area, Granby & Amherst, 2 of the most popular trail networks, Batchelor St. & Earls respectively, offer a combined 35+ miles of great riding. There are more networks as you Head into the northern part of the area including DAR state forest in Ashfield, Dubuque sf in Hadley & Wendell sf up in Wendell.

Not sure what youíll find in trailforks for these areas as I do t use it but Iím pretty sure Pioneer Valley NEMBA is doing a few local rides. Pretty sure they can be found on Facebook.
    This is helpful, thanks. Sounds like an aggressive hardtail or short-to-mid travel full suspension bike will work in the area, at least better than the rigid single speed I can get away with on my local trails now.