Batchelor St-Better Than Ever- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Batchelor St-Better Than Ever

So, for the first time since the middle of last summer I took my bike down to the rocky warrens of Batchelor St. I just want to say that these trails, which have long been one of the marquee riding areas of New England, are looking and riding better than Ever.

You know, when I first moved to this state 11 years ago, Batchelor st was the only place I rode. I'd drive the 25 minutes south 3-4 times a week to bash around the rocky bounty laid out by Pete, Chuck, Eric and their crew. I remember when Jacob's Ladder was first built, and I even rode Missing Persons for the first time as Mr. Vangel was just completing it (and yep, it rode great from the start). Over time, other areas closer to my home have evolved into great riding spots as well, and over the years I've gone to B-street less and less. Last year i think I only rode there twice!

A few years ago, I had also begun to notice that some of the trails were getting a little run-down (as trail use continues to go up and up), they were getting wider. The original trail crew had shrunk due to tragedy and just age. Pete was becoming a one man show with more work than one guy could do.

Thankfully, a new crew rose up and joined him-and through their hard work, the place has never ridden better. Seriously, not just because of the few newer trails (like Yellow Brick Rd) or the cool R-Rated features along the sides of the trails that spice things up, but also because of the necessary re-routes and pinches put into some of the oldest and less celebrated trails (I really love all the work that has been done on Serpentine and the Re-route on the IMBA trail---anyone else find it funny that the one trail actually designed by IMBA required the most extensive mud-water re-routing???).

Anyway, just thought I should give an extensive shout out and applause to the guys who've, through tons of hard work, been keeping B-Street the top riding area in the region.

Liam

mtbr member
    Thanks, Liam! This seems to be the general consensus, especially Rollercoaster. We did a bunch of work to it in the fall and it's riding great right now.
    I'd love to get 20 people or so together and hit all the trails in a morning, skinnying things and blocking braids. I just haven't had time to organize a trailwork day yet this year. It's coming, though. There's still plenty of stuff on the ol' To-Do list, but I need to get out there with the ranger to talk about some bigger re-routes.

mtbr member
    Where is this located?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Granby/Amherst, MA

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Not sure what it was like back then, but i've been riding there for the last 2 years and MAN what a place. I know who some of you are but can't ride just like ya'll yet (maybe too old and missed my calling) but I have soooo much fun when i'm riding up there with my little fury buddy JACK. Have had plenty of mechanicals and some scrapes, bumps and bruises but I think thats what makes me going back. Find myself resting at the Chuck TANGUAY memorial all the time and telling him THANKS for the great day I'm having. My non biking buddies always look at me strange when I talk of my day, just guess they're missing out! Oh well, and thanks to all those that keep up the place.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

New Trails tearing people up!

Went out there yesterday with a couple guys to check out the freshly cut trails. I ended up getting stabbed deep in the leg with a brake lever and had to get stitches.

There was also a report of a guy breaking his ankle when falling off of a small cliff. Reportedly, the rescue operation had a real tough time locating the guy and got their ATV (Mule type vehicle) stuck repeatedly before someone else rescued the guy on a quad. These are 3rd hand details so feel free to correct this account.

Be careful out there and make sure to ride with a partner. Its gnarly!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Batchelor St-Better Than Ever-leg1.jpg  

Batchelor St-Better Than Ever-leg2.jpg  

Last edited by DrewRock; 06-06-2011 at 10:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Drew - could you get us a closeup of that cut?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    the last picture is a close up

mtbr member
    Drew,

Looks like your sarcasm detector is broken. Ought to bring that to the shop and get it fixed. Meanwhile, thanks for posting close-ups of your injuries. I'd been wondering what the inside of your skin looks like.

XOXO,
    Smelly

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    sarcasm? whats that? where can i get that fixed?

One for all, all for ZERO
    May 2009
    The new trail that links LK to Technical Trail is effing awesome!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by A1Zero View Post
    The new trail that links LK to Technical Trail is effing awesome!
    Its official name is "Rattlesnake II."

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Indeed!

One for all, all for ZERO
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pulsepro View Post
    Its official name is "Rattlesnake II."
    Perfect. Appropriate preamble to Serpent God...

mtbr member
    Rattlesnaaaake!!!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0