Batchelor St- Mtbr.com

Thread: Batchelor St

never ender

Batchelor St

Wazzup all-I've been riding B Street 4 or 5 times a week lately, and since I see a lot of solo riders there, just wanted to extend an invitation to roll with me. I live in Amherst and am usually down to carpool.

Also, anybody know who I should talk to about doing some trailwork? There are saplings growing across trails in lots of places, and some spots that need better drainage. I've been itching to head out there with a shovel, but I want to get the okay first.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Hey Fat weasel,

I meant to reply to your earlier message-sorry for the delay.

1. Trail work at batchelor st-the man at Batchelor st is Pete Vangel-he rides a Santa Cruz, always has a Black labrador retriever with him-usually has an Xterra with a foes fly on the back parked at the B-Street Lot-if you run into him, let him know your interest and get his contact info...he built ALL of the trails at batchelor st, all trail work goes through Pete.

Also, young gun Chaz Nielsen, who frequents these boards is trying to put together a crew at B-street--if he sees this post he'll PM you I'm sure and you guys can work something out-I'd love to see a new trail work crew ride up down there as many of Pete's old crew have moved on and he's a one man show down there.

Now, for the grumpy old man message-feel free to walk any trail you like with buddies and clear out dead fall and cut back beech tree (folding saw work) whenever you like. AS for more pronounced trail work (Anything that might involve a shovel for instance) I got to ask you to refrain from this-and here's why-Batchelor st is a shining beacon of mountain biker relations with a forward thinking DCR park manager (Mike Smith)-Pete and his crew (and PV-NEMBA) worked hard and long over the years to create and sustain that relationship-we've never built-enhanced a trail out that way without Mike Smith's ok and guidance-reroutes and drainage-believe or not-need supervision and permission that neither I nor any other local rider or user can give--being on the up and up here has led to the fantastic trail system you now enjoy.

My second concern follows from the first-the architects of Batchelor st have deep trail building credibility and long standing, hard earned know how. No offense, but I don't know of any other users in that area who enjoy the same knowledge and credibility-in other words, Before anybody gets out to work on a B-street trail (other than routine clearing and maintenance), on their own, they'd need some credentials-certainly something the Park Managers can feel comfortable with (not to mention Pete et al.)- Honestly, without some sort of high-end imba training or a lot of quality time spent with Pete and his crew (learning his skills and sharing his vision which created B-Street in the first place)-I'd be pretty opposed (as would DCR officials responsible for these trails) to any significant trail work-enhancement in that forest.

A little soapbox-ish, I know-but B-street is one of our ems nd it comes with conditions.

mtbr member
    Chaz here.
    Like Liam said, feel free to do maintenance whenever you ride. I generally keep a folding saw in my bag and spend a little time on each ride fixing something. If every rider took 10 minutes to do something once or twice a week, the trails would be in fantastic condition.

Helpful stuff that can always be done quickly and easily-
    -Chop low hanging branches and saplings
    -Clear windfall and other derailleur eaters
    -Use branches and leaves to cover spurs (areas where the trail is widening from people cutting corners). Since B street's popularity boomed last year the trails have been getting progressively wider. This is the nature of the beast (I'm guilty of taking the wrong line sometimes), but we need to make a concerted effort to keep singletrack, singletrack. All it takes is an armful of sticks to block off a spur. The sections in particular that come to mind are upper rollercoaster and some of Entrance Exam.

-Leaf clearing. Liam, how many backpack blowers does PVMBA have? Could we arrange a weekend to use them? Three people could have that whole place cleared out in 3-4 hours. I did a little bit back in the fall, but wasn't able to get to most trails and the whole place could use another clearing.

Pete has flagged out a new trail that will go directly from the parking lot of the base of Rollercoaster. If we can get together a 6-8 person crew, we can probably bang it out in a few hours. I believe we have the go-ahead from Mike Smith to put it in (I'll double check next time I see him), but my understanding is that Pete's frustrated by the lack of people willing to put in trail hours and thus isn't doing any more work until other people step up to the plate and put in some hours.

If you ride there in the afternoons, you'll likely run into Pete. Introduce yourself, he's a friendly, talkative guy and he'll be psyched that someone else is approaching him about doing trailwork (it's usually the other way around).

Fat Weasel - Thanks for expressing interest in trail maintenance. I'll talk to Pete and see if we can find a time to put in this new trail. I'll keep ya posted.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I can certainly get down there with two leaf blowers (my own and the PV NEMBA one-the other NEMBA blower resides in agawam!)-and I think a crew from up here would love to get out with mr Vangel to help build a new trail.

achiever
    I ride over there more than anywhere (often with fat_easel) else and am down to do some trail maint/building. The maintenance part is pretty self explanatory but the building is beyond me.

Keep me in the loop, smelly...

Red

never ender
    Sweet, so it's cool to cut back branches? I'm all over it. I've got scratches all over my face from some of the new growth on Twister. The other things I had in mind were armoring some of the muddy sections on IMBA and near the beaver pond. I've done some landscape restoration work in the past, but I'm totally open to taking direction from somebody who knows.

I've bumped into Pete a couple of times, but I'll be sure to give him my contact info next time I see him. My semester's over in a week, and it would be great to do something in the real world for a change.

Stoked!

mtbr member
    Tentatively, how's memorial day sound for a trail maintenance session?

never ender
    Memorial day should be good.

achiever
    Notso good with me. My daughter's in a parade and we're celebrating my son's birthday afterword.

Members who have read this thread: 0