Batch St trail sanitizers...WTF?!- Mtbr.com
    never ender

Batch St trail sanitizers...WTF?!

I just found another log pile that got cut out of the trail, this time on Viper. LAME. Anybody got an idea who's been doing this?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    wow, this is getting epidemic-I'll put out a shout on my end and see what I hear. that is pretty aggressive.

Liam

mtbr member
    I believe that one got cut out a couple weeks ago. I've been told the prime suspect has been notified to 'cut it out' (ha!). So hopefully there is an end to these shenanigans.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    You are correct Mr. Smelly - the appropriate "person" has been notified. So let's hope this is all done.

In addition to general trail sanitizing, unauthorized/unapproved trail work may jeopardize the carefully formed relationship between mountain bikers in the Notch and the DCR.

mtbr member
    Disclaimer: I have never ridden there or seen what was done so what I am about to say does not apply to this situation but instead as a general statement.

Why do people call clearing logs "trail sanitizing"? Most of the time all they do is disrupt the flow of a trail. Unless it is a log jumb, skinny, part of a berm or (sometimes) a huge log roller, I see no place for logs on the trails. Do people actually enjoy bouncing over logs more than carving turns? Trail flow should take presidence over a stupid little log. You want to ride logs throw a bunch in your yard and have at it. We need to consider trail flow and not just technical features.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    1. This is a place you need to ride Woodsguy-I know you get around new england-I think your helmet cam would get a real work out here .

Basically, it's like this, each area has it's own vibe-on the other side of the notch-"earle's Trails" as their colloquially known, flow is everything, and Earl and his crew who created and maintain those trails cut out most (but not all) logs. Batchelor st, whiile it has it's flow for sure, is a steady technical grind, and trees tend to stay where they lie (or get built up)-that's the culture of the place, and has been for 10 years or so. People who ride this place (or anyplace)) often, come to love the familiar bumps and stumps of their local ride-sometimesd these logs in question sit right at the meaty point of a stiff technical climb and clearing the log was the make or break point of the trail (certainly nettlesome for some folks-but, on the whole very much in keeping with the trail vibe of the place).

Anyway-if you make it out this way wodsguy give a shout-If not me, many of B-streets enthusiasts would love to show you around (and mix in some super-flowy Earle's Trails as well-no lie, you'll wonder why folks drive so far to get to kingdom trails--other than the pretty french canadian girls on bikes of course)).

Liam

mtbr member
    ^ what he said. The logs were part of the flow at B street. They're just another technical obstacle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Regardless of flow and such, if you didn't build the trail, you really shouldn't modify the trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pukemaster
    Regardless of flow and such, if you didn't build the trail, you really shouldn't modify the trail.

In additio to these excellent points, logs accross the trails and bar-width trees help keep the ATVs out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pukemaster
    Obviously if someone is out sanitizing they think they are maintaining the trails. Thats not the kind of edjucating people need.

Members who have read this thread: 0