Bachelor St. Suggestions Help!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Bachelor St. Suggestions Help!

I live about 10mins from Bachelor st. and just started riding it about 2 weeks ago (cant believe I waited this long).
    Anyhow, here are my questions:

1- recommened tire suggestions for rear - size, type. I have a Velocitraptor that does ok but seems to slip a little too much especially on steep climbs when I get out of the saddle.

2- any suggestions on affordable clipless pedals/shoes? Any positive experiances? I am really thinking of making the leap.
    Thanks in advance
    Paul
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    1. Maxxis Ignitor, Ardent, Advantage, or High Roller, Specialized Captain, Continental X-King. All good, go for 2.2 or so.

2. Specialized makes some killer $80 or $90 shoes, then get some Shimano M525 pedals. The pedals will run $60 or so and last a long time.

One for all, all for ZERO
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauldotcom View Post
    1- recommened tire suggestions for rear - size, type. I have a Velocitraptor that does ok but seems to slip a little too much especially on steep climbs when I get out of the saddle.
    Paul
    I like soft compound 2.35+ tires at B-Street like WTB ExiWolfs. B-Street rules!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I live about 10mins from Bachelor st. and just started riding it about 2 weeks ago (cant believe I waited this long).
    Anyhow, here are my questions:

2- any suggestions on affordable clipless pedals/shoes? Any positive experiances? I am really thinking of making the leap.
    Thanks in advance
    Paul
    Whatever tires you have, or get, run as little pressure as possible. Just enough so you don't pinch flat. If you "feel" your rim once or twice during a ride and don't flat, that's the right pressure for you.

mtbr member
    Exiwolf's work pretty well too if you run them at low pressure since they're a high volume tire. Lots of grip, but I like something with bigger cornering knobs.

mtbr member

Exiwolf

They grip well until they suddenly let go. I've given up trusting them. Too many falls from washed out rear.

A better fast rolling option is the Slant 6.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    It seems as though you are all recommending good 29er tires (as that is what you guys roll on), but since he was using a Velociraptor I got to think he's on a 26er-and in no way is the 26er version of the ignitor or the exiwolf a great B-Street tire (why don't you just put him on stan's crows while you're at it and we can just send him to the ER now!). You can get away with those girly-treaded tires on the big hoops, but they're death in the 26er format around here.

For a 26er you want a FAT 2.35-2.5 tire with strong sidewalls. The Maxxis Advantage 2.4 is dynamite (Smelly, I figured this would be your one and only recommendation!). The Maxxis Minions are pretty solid as well. The Schwalbe Big Betty (esp. with the gooey gluey compound) is also excellent (but very pricey). Never rode a specialized tire in a 26er I could stand.

The Kenda Nevegal has the right shape and size, but it falls apart (literally) in extensive B-Street riding-and will constantly flat if you run lower pressures with tubes. HOwever, in the STick-E version, it grabs wet rock and roots at B-street better than any other 26 inch tire--if you are more of an intermediate rider you'll love the nevegal. Stronger expert riders seem to hate the Nevegal (I believe one such rider declared on these forums that the Nevegal should be made illegal).

The real truth is that riding places like B-street extensively will put a real beat down on your tires and in fact your whole bike-no matter what you use. As you get better and more familiar with the flow of things your tire choice won't matter so much--mostly you'll just want something rugged that doesn't pinch flat to often. Good luck! And Keep enjoying one of the best trail systems anywhere.

mtbr member
    Yes I am riding on 26" tires. I am also thinking of going tubless; well some are suggesting it anyhow and it is pretty easy to do (Mavic 521 rim).

The Advantage might be the one. You don't think 2.4 is too wide rolling resistance wise? Yes I am new to these trails (been riding Ludlow for a year or so) and am loving them (even though they kick my arse every time). I am getting better at them (going down Jacob's into Roller Coaster seems to be my favorite loop of choice right now).

I took a pretty nasty fall yesturday over semi-moist roots. I really didn't have any confidence in leaving my saddle either because of traction. I know it was a little wet but even when it's dry I loose a bit when I really get on it.
    Keep the suggestions coming, and thanks/
    Paul
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Is 2.4 too-wide for rolling resistance? Put it to you this way...nothing raises your rolling resistance like falling down!

Rolling resistance is a fairly meaningless category in general mountain biking. More grip and more float on more surfaces leads to better riding and more enjoyment...not sure where rolling resistance fits into that equation.

Higher rolling resistance is a sign of good traction...is there some situation at B-street where where you'd like less traction?

I used to mess around with tires that promised 'great grip' and low rolling resistance..but after falling a lot and washing out on every wet off camber root, I got wise, got some fatter, softer, chunkier tires-and started clearing more, riding better and FASTER (which is what happens when you don't dab or dismount very often and grind up wet, technical trails).

Eventually I moved on to bigger wheels to match the bigger tires (which I think is the bomb for western, MA riding)-but still, I love those bigger, grippy, knobby treads for B-street riding.

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan View Post
    You can get away with those girly-treaded tires on the big hoops, but they're death in the 26er format around here.
    Amazing. I've never knew treads had a gender.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by A1Zero View Post
    Amazing. I've never knew treads had a gender.
    Damn straight they do. I mean like Lilith fair girly.

mtbr member
    I'll bite on your argument, Superman. On a long climb I'll take tires with less 'rolling resistance' any day. Kinda like how if you have a lockout on your suspension, you use that when climbing. Sure, the fatter tires will assure you a chance to slowly get over obstacles, but you're going faster on less rubber and that speed is a huge help in getting you over things. Either way, fat or skinny, it's a trade off and comes down to personal preference. Bottom line - Bachelor St is some of the best riding anywhere.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Yeah, new fancy meaty tires are great. But, the Velociraptors you have are half decent tires. If you're riding them with as little pressure as possible, they certainly shouldn't hold you back. The best tires in the world aren't gonna help you if your technique is lacking or you're running 45 psi. My 2 cents.....but I kind like the run what ya' brung mentality.

May 2009
    Amen Pulsepro!

mtbr member
    I did lower the pressures in the rear tire and I had a good ride. I am going to keep trying some different things until I get this dang ride right! What a blast!

mtbr member
    You'll like the Advantage. 2.4 doesn't fit all frames, however. 2.25 will fit most, and works almost as well.

mtbr member
    Just got some Shimano M520 pedals and Shimano M077 shoes. Hopefully its a good combo. Worked with my local LBS on choosing a shoe. Can't wait to try the clipless stuff out this weeked (in my backyard lol)

mtbr member
    Just got some Shimano M520 pedals and Shimano M077 shoes. Hopefully its a good combo. Worked with my local LBS on choosing a shoe. Can't wait to try the clipless stuff out this weeked (in my backyard lol)
    Great choice on the M520's Hands down the best "entry level" clipless pedal made.

mtbr member
    It was a toss up between the M520 and M540 - $30 difference, almost the price of the M520! I figured if I liked it, then next year I can upgrade to an XT and skip the middle one

mtbr member
    UPDATE
    I am ordering the Maxxis Advantage today (2.25)! Clipless has been a blast! But--- What about a front tire recommendation?
    I am currently running a WTB 2.3 Prowler MX. The tire has been pretty decent but I am having difficulty finding it for a decent price. Just wondering if anyone else had some good info on front tire/size. BTW-- 26inch please thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    get 2 of those Maxxis tires. Should be perfect.

d0n
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    hew guy here hi!

mtbr member
    Stout!!!!