Anything around Williams College in Williamstown?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Anything around Williams College in Williamstown?

Looks like I'll be heading to a week long conference in August to Williams College in Williamstown. I don't plan on attending EVERY workshop, neither do I feel obligated to attend all their structured social events......I'd like to ride. Anyone know of any trails in that part of the state?

cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm not from the area but I've ridden a couple times around there. Taconic Crest trail is reviewed on this site. I think bikes were not allowed but not really sure.

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...1_4554crx.aspx

mtbr member
    Hey Gingermullet,

I live in Williamstown, and there's a bunch of us who ride locally. I suppose most of what we do falls into the proverbial "secret stash" category, in the sense that no one has made serious maps and we just do the routes we've accumulated in memory over the years. There are several classic rides right from campus, and lots of fantastic riding within a half hour drive.

What I'd do is go to The Mountain Goat -- a gear shop on Water Street -- and ask for Ed. Tell him what you're up for and he'll show you on a map. If you're into riding with groups, the 'Goat has a regular Wednesday evening ride, and then some of us do a Thursday faster pace outing (Tuesday is race pace on road bikes from Tunnel City Coffee at 4:30).

If you're feeling intrepid and want to look over some topo maps yourself, here are three ideas:

1. The Bellows Pipe trail on Mount Greylock goes up and over the mountain's eastern shoulder down to the other side in Adams. There's a network of trails that enables you to turn it into a dirt loop to get back to town. These are mostly doubletrack and broken up old New England roads. Great fun, but not singletrack.

2. If you go up the Triple RRR Brooks trail from the bottom of Bee Hill Road you can climb all the way up to the Taconic Crest (technically you're not allowed in Hopkins Forest, so you have to bail out to the highway 1km short of the top). From there, you'd head south and descend from the ridge down the Phelps trail, which is a nice singletrack. Alas, the Phelps is not entirely easy to find.

3. Our after work quick ride area is White Oaks. Go north on White Oaks road until it crosses into Vermont and turns to dirt. Stay with the road until it ends in the woods, and then there's a network of trails, doubletrack, ATV trails, some singletrack. You can't get too lost.

If you want to load up the car, go to Balance Rock in Pittsfield or to Grafton State Park just over the border in New York.

I apologize for not being able to show you this stuff myself, but I'll be out of town in the summer.

Joe

mtbr member
    Gingermullet,

Quick followup: I switched on the Garmin last night during a ride up into White Oaks north of the Williams campus and starting from the center of town. If you do the GPS thing, feel welcome to download the track; PM me if for some reason you can't access GarminConnect.

By way of fair warning, this is emphatically not a flowy, idyllic singletrack ride! Instead it's a bunch of old wrecked not-gentle woods roads and tracks with rocks, roots, and mud holes. It's a hard ride, a pile of fun and our go-to loop when there has been a lot of rain, as there's nothing to damage. Still, I've had out-of-town friends shake their heads at the demented rides we do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzmissle View Post
    Gingermullet,

Quick followup: I switched on the Garmin last night during a ride up into White Oaks north of the Williams campus and starting from the center of town. If you do the GPS thing, feel welcome to download the track; PM me if for some reason you can't access GarminConnect.

By way of fair warning, this is emphatically not a flowy, idyllic singletrack ride! Instead it's a bunch of old wrecked not-gentle woods roads and tracks with rocks, roots, and mud holes. It's a hard ride, a pile of fun and our go-to loop when there has been a lot of rain, as there's nothing to damage. Still, I've had out-of-town friends shake their heads at the demented rides we do.
    Excellent! Sounds a lot like what I ride in Ludlow.

Members who have read this thread: 0