Anyone riding a 6fattie- Mtbr.com
    dmo
    mtbr member

Anyone riding a 6fattie

I may be able to get a good deal on a Spesh 6fattie and was wondering if anyone has ridden them on trails around here. I would probably ride it at Vietnam mostly. Looks like a fun bike.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mdc
    mtbr member
    I think they have a demo at Milford Bike- might be worth giving them a call.

FWIW- I've been riding a Trek Stache 29+ and freakin love it. I would not hesitate at all to buy a + sized Remedy ( either 650 or 29) if/ when they come out. The traction on a + sized bike is ridiculously fun.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    My girlfriend had one. I've obviously taken it for a few rides. Its a lot of fun. BB is a little low imho.

mtbr member
    I have the Griffin 650B+ which is a little fatter than the Specialized: 3.25" front & 3.0" rear riding on 44.4mm Internal Width rims.

The biggest advantage is on the gnarly downhill sections, you can really just fly and it gives a high confidence factor - (maybe too high - going much faster downhill over roots & rocks may one day have a bad outcome).

The minus is that it is slower than my 29'er going uphill and on easy trails. I rode with NEBMA at LandLocked last night and I brought the Griffin which was a mistake. On those easy trails I only felt the downside and no upside. No need for the increased traction and no rough sections to let the 650+ do it's thing.

Overall it is a great bike and it really does "DumbDown" the trails, which I love as I am in my mid 50's and eyesight & reflexes are not as good as they used to be. Saved me a bunch of times, but then again, it has me pushing the limits which I wasn't doing so much anymore until I got the Griffin.

Eric

dmo
    mtbr member
    I can see how the big tires would be to much for LLF. If I had a 6fattie I'd probably only want to ride it at Vietnam. Even then there are only certain trails that it would really help. Looks like a fun bike though

mtbr member
    The "Fun" part is relative.

Yes, the first time you ride one it is "Fun". The term I like to use is "Killer" but again, it depends on what you are riding. Fun because tough climbs and rough descents become quite easy, but you spend more energy on the uphill, for sure.

Killer is because on any TOUGH ride, the downhill & rough are so easy that I have new records on everything that I used to ride 15 years ago. (on steep uphill & downhill courses with gnarl...)

Fun goes away very soon, and then it is just a bike. Although I find all bikes fun.

BTW, once you get on your "old" bike, the tires look too skinny!

Eric

(Riding my 29'er tomorrow in hopes of keeping up with the gang. Fun stops when you start to struggle on the flats.)

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    My Airborne Griffin 27.5+ just arrived in the mail yesterday. The Tires are Huge lol! I am headed out now to do some light trail riding. Fat is where it's at!

mtbr member
    Yes, those tires are something!

Let us know how it goes!

Eric

( )
    Nov 2004
    mdc
    Are you running the stock tires (chupacabras)? Intrigued by this bike and this format, but seems like the stock tires are relatively light as far as 29+ tires go and I had questions about durability.

Thanks,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mdc View Post
    I think they have a demo at Milford Bike- might be worth giving them a call.

FWIW- I've been riding a Trek Stache 29+ and freakin love it. I would not hesitate at all to buy a + sized Remedy ( either 650 or 29) if/ when they come out. The traction on a + sized bike is ridiculously fun.

mdc
    mtbr member
    Yup- Running the stock tires, and they are holding up really well. I think the profile allows you not to scrub the sides as much so I haven't had any sidewall issues. The only things I changed from the stock setup is a 50mm Easton Havoc Stem, and I upgraded the DT 350's engagement to 36 vs. 18 ( which was terrible). The tire weight is less than the Minions on my Remedy, but the rims are about 680 grams ( kinda heavy). Overall the bike is a rippler. MY ONLY gripe is that for VERY aggressive trail riding, you can't run super low pressure without either trashing the rim, or ripping the tire off the rim. The Chupacabras are like velcro at low pressure, but are not nearly as good when you air them up to much...

( )
    Nov 2004
    Appreciate the feedback! "very aggressive" doesn't really describe my riding style, so no concerns there. Might have to stop by the trek dealer this week.

dmo--apologies for derailing your 6 fattie thread.

dmo
    mtbr member
    No worries.

As it happens I actually have a Stache5. I've changed it up quite a bit and run a 3" Bomboloni in the rear and a 3" gravity vidar (measures 3.25") up front. Rolls great. I can bomb up and down most rocky chunky trails. It can be a handful at times though the front wheel measures more like 30"