Anyone ride with their dog?- Mtbr.com
    dmo
    mtbr member

Anyone ride with their dog?

Would like to be able to ride with my dog following but not sure how well it would go. I'm worried he'd run off or get in the way. He's inquisitive and I wouldn't want him bugging other bikers, hikers, dogs etc.

Those of you who ride with your dog, are some breeds better at handling the local roots and rocks, following well and staying out of trouble? I've thought about putting a go pro on my dog so I could film a dog's eye view of the trail. I suppose I could just put a basket on my bike and put the dog in it.

mdc
    mtbr member
    I just got a new pup ( 16 weeks old now) and have already started him on VERY mellow rides. 2-3 miles, walking pace behind my house. So far he is doing awesome. He's an Australian Shepherd, so his natural instinct is to heard ( i.e. He sticks around me and circles) He sticks within 20 yards of me unless he knows we are headed home, then he bolts home and waits for me. In my opinion sight hounds or scent hounds are more likely to be distracted in the woods, hearding dogs tend to stick with you and don't really care about chasing squirrels or following a scent.

As for training, make sure your dog has the basics down. Most importantly the "come" command. If the dog bolts and won't return on command I would be nervous...

mtbr member
    Anyone ride with their dog?-dog-tired.jpg
    Yup Aussy Sheppard as well, she gets a little Barky in full herding mode

Wanna Ride Bikes?
    Jun 2014
    My Aussie, Axel, loves to run through the woods with me.
    The only problem I've ever had is that he's sometimes too friendly, sometimes he scares non dog people by running right up to his "new best friend".
    Hold my beer and watch this!

mtbr member
    Had a great Springer Spaniel that loved to run with me. Boy do I miss that guy.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454213358.361082.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  91.5 KB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Make sure the place you ride allows off leash dogs. Plenty of places don't. And make sure that voice command stuff works. Smaller groups of riders( 4-6) tend to work better rather than bigger group rides.

mtbr member
    I ride with my dog all the time. If your dog is under voice-control you'll be fine. If not, you'll have problems & cause problems for others. All breeds can be trained so the type of dog isn't important. The breed of dog can limit your ride options though. Not all dogs can handle long rides or intense rides over rough terrain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    If you're riding alone, bring your dog.
    If you're riding in a group, don't.
    And if you want to ride in a group with your dog, then ride in the back with your dog.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Picked up our dog from Boston Animal Rescue League last winter and took her riding the next day on the trails behind my house. She "grew up" in Brockton but we don't know anything about her other than that. She was a natural trail dog from the start and is great with groups too although I don't take her when there's mixed company or more than 4 riders. She's great on hikes to, has been to the Whites a few times. She's super smart, stays close at all times, comes when called, stays out of the way, etc...

She's about 3 years old, 40lb spaniel mix (we think springer with King Charles or springer and beagle). In the winter we really have to watch her paws and especially the fur between toes. Ice builds up there and it's clearly uncomfortable. We watch for ticks in the summer to, we're picked a lot off of her. She is afraid of the dark, but a human head lamp around her neck seems to be effective in mitigating that (see pic).

Loves the kids, hasn't chewed anything, doesn't bark, stays in the unfenced yard (we live in the woods of CMass), travels well. We hit the dog lottery here and with 20 miles of trails out the back door that she is on every day, I'd say she hit the lottery too.

Love this dog, and I'm not a dog lover per se.

Anyone ride with their dog?-img_20160115_064251567.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It's a rare ride for me that doesn't involve a dog or three.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'd say every dog is different and it comes down to how they're trained. I'm fairly used to having a dog or two amidst my ride groups, and they're trained well to respond to voice commands from almost everybody (and we all look out for them). They know how to run in the pack and get out of the way of the bikes -- it's actually pretty awesome when your line up is 3 bikes, 1 dog, 2 more bikes, 1 more dog, and 3 more bikes!

But you need to know where to do this (for God's sake, stay away from busy parks like Fells or any of the SPs), be a good owner and don't assume everyone likes your dog, and have a well-trained pup.

I'd say start `em young.
    Riding bikes rules!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    the amount of owners that actually have there dog under voice control is pretty slim. Everyone thinks there dog is great but I haven't seen a dog in a couple months that actually listened to the owner. I hate off leash dogs wondering up to me and the owner thinking that it is perfectly acceptable.

I do have a dog and do like dogs but off leash dogs on the trail drive me nuts.

Hassan's Ghost
    Sep 2008
    Seems like you've nailed some basic 'rules' for riding with dogs...
    1. Trained/know your dog
    2. No big groups/know your group
    3. Remote or, at least, uncrowded trails
    4. Maintain dog safety (paws, hydration, ticks, etc...)

Sound like an equation for happy dogs and happy people.

Well done!

mtbr member
    Ride with my greyhound all the time!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I agree with the remarks about respecting the rules of where you ride and having a dog which will not get itself into trouble, come when called, etc.

The other point which needs to be made is to be aware of what your dog can safely handle. Dogs can run themselves past the point of what is safe for them if you are not careful. I have a larger dog (a lab/hound mix) and I draw the line at around 5 - 7 miles. Smaller dogs than can "run" like greyhounds, herders, etc. maybe can do 10 or so if it is not too hot. Larger breeds, older dogs, and puppies, I would definitely be careful with. I saw a guy ride two malamutes about 15 miles in the summer and just about killed them. On this last point, regardless of the breed for sure watch the temperature and mix in water stops if you can.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BerkBill View Post
    I agree with the remarks about respecting the rules of where you ride and having a dog which will not get itself into trouble, come when called, etc.

The other point which needs to be made is to be aware of what your dog can safely handle. Dogs can run themselves past the point of what is safe for them if you are not careful. I have a larger dog (a lab/hound mix) and I draw the line at around 5 - 7 miles. Smaller dogs than can "run" like greyhounds, herders, etc. maybe can do 10 or so if it is not too hot. Larger breeds, older dogs, and puppies, I would definitely be careful with. I saw a guy ride two malamutes about 15 miles in the summer and just about killed them. On this last point, regardless of the breed for sure watch the temperature and mix in water stops if you can.
    Good point. I notice a significant performance drop above 60* with my spaniel mix, and above 70* even a few miles at an ez pace can be too much. As you said they're always willing so it's up to us to do the thinking for them.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    She is the one I ride with most of the time. Temperature and humidity play a big role. Her name is roxy. She is a rescue dog. She guards the door on weekends because she does not want me to leave the house without her, for fear of missing out on a ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by peterk123 View Post
    She is the one I ride with most of the time. Temperature and humidity play a big role. Her name is roxy. She is a rescue dog. She guards the door on weekends because she does not want me to leave the house without her, for fear of missing out on a ride.

There is no happier dog than a mountain biking dog! Great video.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Young dogs

Quote Originally Posted by mdc View Post
    I just got a new pup ( 16 weeks old now) and have already started him on VERY mellow rides. 2-3 miles, walking pace behind my house. So far he is doing awesome. He's an Australian Shepherd, so his natural instinct is to heard ( i.e. He sticks around me and circles) He sticks within 20 yards of me unless he knows we are headed home, then he bolts home and waits for me. In my opinion sight hounds or scent hounds are more likely to be distracted in the woods, hearding dogs tend to stick with you and don't really care about chasing squirrels or following a scent.

As for training, make sure your dog has the basics down. Most importantly the "come" command. If the dog bolts and won't return on command I would be nervous...

Riding with dogs can be great, and watching your pup develop into a trail dog is incredibly satisfying. Just be sure to take it slow because you can permanently damage your dog if you run him hard, or even at a moderate pace, for a sustained distance before his growth plates are sealed. More than a couple miles before he is about a year old could be too much depending on the breed. Just check with your vet, be patient, and plan for the long term.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Anyone ride with their dog?-luc-y-awesome-phote.jpgI bring my dog on almost every ride, group (I usually end up leading a portion of every group ride I attend so that makes it easier) or solo, unless it's a much longer and stronger ride. Folks don't like they can ride away from me or head in their own direction. She's full of love, so yeah, she greets as we zip along.

Riding with a dog changed my whole approach to biking for the better. I became calmer, smarter and friendlier.

She's a standard poodle. I waited until shE was 1.25 yEars old and did a lot of long hikes before them. You have to be careful because they don't know their limits and you can really hurt your dog in the long run. Don't rush it.

Also, you need to think about where there are good water sources and water stops. My season riding changes as certain streams and water sources dry up during the summer.

I'll be sad when my girl starts to slow down and becomes a hiking only companion...though we've got a way to go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    Would like to be able to ride with my dog following but not sure how well it would go. I'm worried he'd run off or get in the way. He's inquisitive and I wouldn't want him bugging other bikers, hikers, dogs etc.

Those of you who ride with your dog, are some breeds better at handling the local roots and rocks, following well and staying out of trouble? I've thought about putting a go pro on my dog so I could film a dog's eye view of the trail. I suppose I could just put a basket on my bike and put the dog in it.
    I started by training for solid off leash reliability using an e collar. We actually did trail runs and hikes first. Now i hook the e collar remort to the camelbak if he gets distracted but hes usually good with just voice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    We have been once. Started with e collar training for off leash reliability. Then went on hikes and trail runs. I keep the remote hooked to the camelbak.

mtbr member
    Love dogs, but not on the trail, thank you.
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

mdc
    mtbr member
    My Aussie at 6 months ( took the pic yesterday). He's doing 5-6 mile rides no problem and still has plenty of energy left. I just started taking him out to new trail systems with friends, and he is doing great. I wouldnt bring him to a busy trail system on the weekend, but most likely will during the week when it's quite.

Anyone ride with their dog?-image.jpg