anybody out there ride in the Concord/Lincoln area?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

anybody out there ride in the Concord/Lincoln area?

I'm expecting crickets, especially this time of the year, but I figure its worth a shot (kinda like Will Smith in 'I am Legend', but less gore) I'd be interested in comparing notes of where some singletrack is hidden, brainstorm some ways to get some more built, and maybe get some rides in. Anyone? Bueller? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Building? Needs unfrozen ground. I like Punkatasset hill, 2 rod road connant land to davis corridor out to tophet swamp in Great Brook.

mtbr member
    Thanks, Leeboh. PM sent.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I lived in Lincoln and rode all around there and walden pond reservation about 25 years back when it was all totally legal. Apparently that has all changed and it is pretty much all off limits now as evidenced by a poster or two got torched for even suggesting riding there in the past year or so. I would love to stop by again sometime to ride what parts of the area might be allowed at some point so would be interested to hear some responses as to where that might be (or not).

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    PS, I had some great rides this time of year on trails which were otherwise too swampy and wet to ride but were solid and fun when frozen and not snow covered..

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Building? Needs unfrozen ground. I like Punkatasset hill, 2 rod road connant land to davis corridor out to tophet swamp in Great Brook.
    Needs unfrozen ground? Since when? I built 3 section of trail this past week. Little clipping/clearing and start riding it in. More to be built this coming week. Best time of year to build. No ticks, no hot temps.

rog

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ajavt View Post
    PS, I had some great rides this time of year on trails which were otherwise too swampy and wet to ride but were solid and fun when frozen and not snow covered..
    It's stuff like that that makes deep cold winter the best time to ride. Snow or not. Hot temps, bugs, and mud is no good compared to winter riding.

Tomorrow am can't come soon enough. 10 degrees and a skim of snow=perfect

rog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajavt View Post
    I lived in Lincoln and rode all around there and walden pond reservation about 25 years back when it was all totally legal. Apparently that has all changed and it is pretty much all off limits now as evidenced by a poster or two got torched for even suggesting riding there in the past year or so. I would love to stop by again sometime to ride what parts of the area might be allowed at some point so would be interested to hear some responses as to where that might be (or not).
    Ajavt - the trails right around Walden are off limits. As a matter of fact, it's illegal to even run on the trail that goes around the pond. That being said, Walden Pond Reservation is small but there are a number of areas adjacent to it that connect to plenty of other areas that includes tons of legal trails. There's a few that are off limits to mountain bikes (but open to horse!!!!!!!!!) Adams Woods, Pine Hill, Sandy Pond, Hapgood Wright, Mt Misery, and Wright Woods are all legal, can be connected with virtually no paved roads, but offer close to nothing for singletrack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    It's stuff like that that makes deep cold winter the best time to ride. Snow or not. Hot temps, bugs, and mud is no good compared to winter riding.

Tomorrow am can't come soon enough. 10 degrees and a skim of snow=perfect

rog
    I'd be happy to take 90 degrees, some mosquitos, and mud right now over slush that's been walked in then frozen over, creating harder washboards than my six pack.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    Needs unfrozen ground? Since when? I built 3 section of trail this past week. Little clipping/clearing and start riding it in. More to be built this coming week. Best time of year to build. No ticks, no hot temps.

rog
    To me trail building is digging dirt, not corridor clearing. But yes, not missing the bugs. I like when the leaves are off the trees to do some rough trail planning. Easier to see contours etc.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    I'd be happy to take 90 degrees, some mosquitos, and mud right now over slush that's been walked in then frozen over, creating harder washboards than my six pack.
    sounds aweful. maybe try finding stuff that doesn't see much or any human foot traffic.

rog

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    To me trail building is digging dirt, not corridor clearing. But yes, not missing the bugs. I like when the leaves are off the trees to do some rough trail planning. Easier to see contours etc.
    digging dirt is time consuming trail building. "corridor clearing" is following the flow of the land and the features it offers. i've done plenty of both over the last few decades. singlehandledly put over 8 miles of new trail in in the last year. no shovel. just clippers, bow saw, and a rake. definitely some rock work too.

love that area around great brook. so fun to put big loops together thru the ritchy rich towns out that way.

rog

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I live on the border of Sudbury and Framingham and it seems like a lot of the trails around here are on Sudbury Valley Trustees Land, which is supposed to be off limits to mountain bikes. They do however allow horses on their land which doesn't make sense. Anyway, I would love to see more mountain bike purpose built trails in this area whether its Concord, Lincoln, Sudbury or Framingham.

mtbr member
    I'm a local. Feel free to PM me if you want to go for a ride.