Any bike suggestions?- Mtbr.com

Oct 2007

Any bike suggestions?

I'm new to mountain biking, just started getting into it at Massasoit and Wompatuck. I'm looking to maybe get a new bike soon, and was wondering if any of you had some suggestions for affordable, full suspension bikes for the area. I'd say my limit is $1000, but a little over is fine.

person
    surf around ebay. I know you could probably pick up a new Kona Kikapu for $1000. A specialized FSR XC would also fall within that price range. $1000 would also get you a really solid hardtail, my buddy just picked up an 07 Kona Hoss for $900, and its pretty much indestructible. I'd say you should shop around to all the shops in your area and ride as many bikes as you can in your price range.
    My epiglottis is full of bees!

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

Sep 2007
    I've been looking to upgrade my rigid Trek, and Ibex looks really tempting, they're 'mail-order' but I've only read really good reviews from this site by the owners. For 1000.00 you can get alot of bike there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    for wompy?....get a steel 29er Hardtail. Raleigh (yep, I said Raleigh!) makes one of the best appointed 29ers for the money out there-can be had for about 1200.00 (I've seen them for less). All Sram x7-x9 drivetrain stuff, wtb stout tires, easton cockpit parts, Truvativ external BB crankset, avid mechanical disc brakes and a Reba Fork-check the mtbr reviews-folks are pleasantly surprised-worth a look-a lot more bike than you can get than a 1000.00 dualie-which-unless you buy used (and that has it's perils-especially for a newbie who may not be bike savvy)-is usually not worth the cash.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I have an Ibex Atlas, and it rocks! The tech at my bike shop was shocked by how much bike I got for the money.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I just got a left over 07 Stump Jumper FSR and love it! For the money it was a great value. It pays to waite and not get tempted by all of the new 08's.

Members who have read this thread: 0