Alternatives to Minion 29er tires- Mtbr.com
    dmo
    mtbr member

Alternatives to Minion 29er tires

I'm looking for a new set of 29er tires, 2.3-2.5", to replace the minion dhf/dhr I've been on. The minions are great I just want to try something different for aggressive xc technical trails we all ride in NE. What else have people tried? Conti mtn kings? Vittoria Morsa, Goma, or barzo? Maxxis forecasters? Nobby Nics?

What has worked well for everyone?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I love the Schwalbe Hans Damf. IMO best tech tires out there, but not the longest lasting.

mtbr member
    Bontrager XR4, if you can get them... or Spec Purgatory. XR3 or Ground Control in the back if you want less rear rolling resistance.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I would give up beer before I gave up my dhf 2.5 on the front. Really. Might consider something wider than the 2.3 dhr on the back though.

mtbr member
    Keep the DHF on the front and try out a Minion SS on the rear to reduce the rolling resistance. Great tire for around here and you still get the predictable minion cornering out of it.

mdc
    mtbr member
    the eThirteen TRS tires are awesome. The R version is SUPER sticky, grips insanely well, but is slow rolling. The + version is supposed to roll better, but is not as sticky ( although they are still pretty soft).

Ive heard a lot of good things about all of the Vittoria stuff, I also like the fact that they are really involved in New England cycling and are a sponsor for NEHSCA (New England High School Cycling Association)- that alone would warrant trying out some of their offerings...

mtbr member
    I've been happy with the Goma 2.4 in front though planning on trying a Minion next. Thinking of pairing with a Forekaster on the back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Schwalbe magic mary is slower put grippier than a DHF in loose soil (imo) and is about the same size as 2.5 maxis. I ride a Mary F/Nobby Nic rear combo that works well across a wide range of conditions.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    I would give up beer before I gave up my dhf 2.5 on the front. Really. Might consider something wider than the 2.3 dhr on the back though.
    Yep, it's an amazing tire. I prefer a DHF on the rear, but different strokes. I wish I could fit bigger than 2.3 on the back, I did stuff a 2.5 in there for a while and it was perfect, but too much rubbing when the wheel flexed.

mtbr member
    E-13 TRS front (straight awesome tire)
    Vittoria morsa rear or
    WTB breakout rear
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Specialized Butcher or E*13 TRS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmo
    mtbr member
    The e13s look good. Would the harder durometer plus tires be better f&r for pedalling uphill? Or just the race version up front and plus in the rear?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    The e13s look good. Would the harder durometer plus tires be better f&r for pedalling uphill? Or just the race version up front and plus in the rear?

If your gonna ride through the winter run the race in front for sure. Would only recommend the + for the rear but it's not a particularly fast pedaller. The breakout will pedal better & is a great aggressive rear tire.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Conti trail king front, mountain king rear. 2.4 with black chili. Big volume, sticky compound, great tires for ne technical trails.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Just a flesh wound
    I have the TRS+ front and back right now. The traction and handling are amazing, but they roll slow. Downhill they are incredible. You can climb anything with them, but they roll slow.

I ran the Morsa G+ front and back for over 2,000 miles. They roll really well. They do not have nearly the traction of the TRS+. But they are a fast, tough XC tire that can handle downhills as well. They do not climb well on wet rocks and roots. The TRS+ never slip on wet rocks or roots.

I am hearing good things about the Martello G+ from Vittoria. It looks like a knobbier version of the Morsa. My friend just put them on his Pivot 429 Trail and he loves them. My other buddy has the DHF 2.5 on the front and the DHR II 2.3 on the back of his Pivot Switchblade. They seem to work really well.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Ripmo now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm a Maxxis fanboi, so I'd look into the other Maxxis offerings.....or just stick with the Minions. They're amazing and come in many casing/compound and width options. Home run! I like trying new tires too, but I also hate dumping lots of cash on tires only to find out they suck or get destroyed in short order. While I've certainly picked Maxxis tires that didn't match my intended usage, they've always been quality and never junk. Good luck on your search.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio View Post
    I have the TRS+ front and back right now. The traction and handling are amazing, but they roll slow. Downhill they are incredible. You can climb anything with them, but they roll slow.

I ran the Morsa G+ front and back for over 2,000 miles. They roll really well. They do not have nearly the traction of the TRS+. But they are a fast, tough XC tire that can handle downhills as well. They do not climb well on wet rocks and roots. The TRS+ never slip on wet rocks or roots.

I am hearing good things about the Martello G+ from Vittoria. It looks like a knobbier version of the Morsa. My friend just put them on his Pivot 429 Trail and he loves them. My other buddy has the DHF 2.5 on the front and the DHR II 2.3 on the back of his Pivot Switchblade. They seem to work really well.
    I just saw a guy at LLF with a pivot 429trail with Martellos. Maybe that was your friend

Just a flesh wound
    My friend rode Leominster on Saturday and Foxboro on Sunday. I'll bet it was the guy from JRA with the same bike who told him to go with the Martellos.

CP
    Every time in recent memory that I experiment with tires I find myself back with Maxxis DHR II rear & DHF front, only if for a couple things 1.my confidence in what I ask them to do is mostly unshaken and 2. they haven't let me down yet (even when totally worn out).

'Not gonna lie, I keep eyeing those TRS+...something about "the grass is always greener"...

Just a flesh wound
    Quote Originally Posted by C.P. View Post
    'Not gonna lie, I keep eyeing those TRS+...something about "the grass is always greener"...
    I have them on the front and the rear. I love them, but as I said before, they don't exactly roll fast. I have a Vittoria Martello G+ on the way for the rear. I am going to try this combo. I can't say enough about the grip and handling of the TRS+ but they suck the life out of you on flats. Great for race training.

Just a flesh wound
    I got a Martello G+, 2.35 for the rear. Same weight as the TRS+ but it rolls much better. So my combo of TRS+ front and Martello rear seems like a really good winter combo. I rode today in Wompatuck with mixed conditions and I liked the way the TRS+ front and Martello G+ rear worked together.

More time this weekend to ride a lot so I will post up later.

mtbr member
    I'm gonna give that Martello g+ a try on the rear. Looks like a winner.

Just a flesh wound
    It felt really good today. It is not as wide as either the Morsa or the TRS. But it worked really well. I ran 15 psi front on the TRS and 18 psi rear on the Martello G+. No rim strikes. Good traction and predictable handling. The TRS+ front is really nice. I couldn't imagine needing the TRS Race version. If I needed that much traction, I would have to be doing something wrong.

20% off the Martello G+ at Back Country with free shipping.

mtbr member
    Late to the party, but thought I'd share another option no one else has mentioned, the ON ONE Chunky Monkey and Smorgasbord. Made by Maxxis for On One, come in 2 compound options (I'd stick to the Trail Extreme) and price is very good. Both tyres have excellent volume and work exceedingly well all around, especially when it gets wet and slippery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Late to the party, but thought I'd share another option no one else has mentioned, the ON ONE Chunky Monkey and Smorgasbord. Made by Maxxis for On One, come in 2 compound options (I'd stick to the Trail Extreme) and price is very good. Both tyres have excellent volume and work exceedingly well all around, especially when it gets wet and slippery.
    I second this suggestion. I have been running the On One's for a couple of years before trying the Conti's. Reliable performance at an incredible price.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk