Airborne Goblin- Mtbr.com

Thread: Airborne Goblin

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Airborne Goblin

Hi. I''m obviously a new member here but I'm hoping for some helpful advice. I'm looking to buy a new bike and so far I'm steering towards the Airborne Goblin. Any feedback?

A little about myself. I'm 38 and in pretty good shape. I plan to ride once a week for a couple hours. I rode regularly when I was younger and was pretty good. I raced around MA and other locations nearby. But now, I'm strictly looking to be a recreational rider.

My goal for riding is to stay in shape and get some exercise while having some fun. I'm not looking to be a die-hard, so I don't want to buy too much bike. My budget is around $1200.

MTB will not be my primary activity. I will be riding to keep in shape for other activities I enjoy. I will be riding Trail of Tears, Falmouth (Otis), Plymouth Area and maybe a couple trips out to Freetown. I live in Bourne.

So with that said, what about a Goblin??

Wanna Ride Bikes?
    Jun 2014
    Never ridden one, but thought they looked like a good bike for the money.
    Scroll down a bit and check out the Airborne zone.
    Hold my beer and watch this!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    My dad is in a similar position as you, BackRoads, and got an Airborne Seeker (1 step down from the Goblin) for Xmas. I've spent a day or two on it, and I gotta say it's a blast.

However, I noticed the common complaints you hear are pretty much all true: narrow bars, long stem, heavy wheelset, etc. The wheels were probably the most noticeable, coming off my (much nicer and much much more expensive) ride, since they make climbing harder than it is on some nicer bikes. Still, I wouldn't say it performs badly even uphill. And I was blown away by how much fun the seeker was on the way down.

Bottom line - solid bike. For the money, absolutely awesome bike. The goblin probably won't be a huge jump up from the seeker in terms of fun-factor, but you definitely get a better (and lighter) parts-spec.

I say go for it. But be warned, you do have to put the bars and pedals on yourself, as well as perform some other adjustments. To do it right you need a torque wrench (Harbor Freight has some for under $100), and a pedal wrench. Or you can take it to a shop and have a professional do it (a waste of $ IMO). Just make sure you price it all out before you blow your entire budget on the bike, and don't have enough left for the little things to get it trail ready.
    My MTB themed graphic tees:
    https://www.mteeb.com

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I think the Goblin would be fine. But for $1200 dollars you may want to check out used. Not much on craigslist right now, too early in the season, but on pinkbike website, there are a bunch. $700 for a used but almost new Trek Gary Fisher, size M, air fork. In Newport, brand new 2013 Specialized Camber. Size L. $1400. Use the "nearme" function to broaden/narrow your search.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Thanks. I'm still wsighing my options. I spoke with a shop That can get me into a Trek X-caliber 9 near 1200. And I'm gonna look into pinkbike, but for a new bike the Goblin seems to have the best components and fork. As far as I can tell by reviewing stuff online.

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I agree, for a new bike the Goblin has a great spec for $1200. You may want to take a look at the EVO, a little slacker head angle, will be better on the descents. Depends on what type of trails you want to ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I'll be riding in Falmouth and Barnstable, plus Pine Hills and may make the occasional trip to Freetown.

With that said, I assume a XC bike is the better option vs a trail bike. Correct?

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BackRoads View Post
    I'll be riding in Falmouth and Barnstable, plus Pine Hills and may make the occasional trip to Freetown.

With that said, I assume a XC bike is the better option vs a trail bike. Correct?
    Unfortunately I don't ride any of those trails. If they are relatively flat trails, the Goblin will be fine. The EVO model has a 120 mm fork, which is part of the reason the HTA is 69 versus 71 for the non-EVO. The non-evo is 100 mm fork. I suspect if you wanted to you could modify the 100 mm fork to run at 120 mm, which would move the non evo to around 70 degree head angle.

My XC bike has a 120 mm fork with 70 degree HA and I have done a few over the bar moves going down short steep descents. Once just coming over a little roller on the trail. Hit a rock just right and otb I went, this was with 100 mm fork and 71 degree angle. Some of this is lack of talent. I have demo'ed bikes since I bought my XC bike, A Blur TR, Bronson, Mach 429c, Ripley, Horsethief. The Ripley has a 70 degree angle. The rest were 69.3 or less. All great bikes, but if I could afford it I would take the Mach 429c with the 69.3 HTA, For me, it struck the right balance between XC and trail. Although the bike I had the most "fun" on was the Blur TR.

New England trails are full of short steep descents that are usually rooty and rocky. Lot of people ride them just fine on an XC bike. Your original post said recreational (non-race), the slightly slacker head angle on the EVO will give you a better descender with a slight loss in climbing ability. In my opinion, a better recreational bike for New England trails. If you are going to race, get the non-EVO model.

Also check the Airborne forum on this site, for all I know the EVO is getting bad reviews. I probably shouldn't have said anything in the first place, but when I went to Airborne's website to check Goblin specs I saw the EVO and thought I would mention something. For the record, Mountain bike head angles run from around 71 to 65, so a 1 degree difference is a noticeable difference. The EVO is a relatively new model for Airborne.

Again, I probably shouldn't have said anything. Buy the Goblin and get out and ride. Free advice is worth what you pay for it. Sorry for the long post, but since I can't ride because of the snow, I cruise the forums.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Evo is a newer effort and a different frame. The chainstay length of the Evo is 435mm vs 450mm for the Goblin. This is part of the improvements which lead to quicker stable handling.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have the Goblin and think its a great bike. As said above, the spec level for the $ is great for a new bike. The stem that comes with it is too long, it made the front feel very heavy to turn. I swapped mine out for a shorter stem and a wider bar and it made a HUGE difference. I also put on some better tires with a set of lighter wheels.

I've been thinking of moving to a full suspension bike and currently have my bike listed on Craigslist. Its a deal if you find my upgrades tasteful. Feel free to come and give it a ride.

29" Airborne Goblin Mountain Bike

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticRI View Post
    I have the Goblin and think its a great bike. As said above, the spec level for the $ is great for a new bike. The stem that comes with it is too long, it made the front feel very heavy to turn. I swapped mine out for a shorter stem and a wider bar and it made a HUGE difference. I also put on some better tires with a set of lighter wheels.

I've been thinking of moving to a full suspension bike and currently have my bike listed on Craigslist. Its a deal if you find my upgrades tasteful. Feel free to come and give it a ride.

29" Airborne Goblin Mountain Bike
    Thanks for the feedback and I'd junk on that deal too but the frame is to big for me. Good luck with the sale.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Have you bought it yet? Of the trails you mentioned I only ride Freetown with enough regularity to talk about their trails. I have been riding those trails for the past year or so with a more trail oriented hardtail (69 degree head angle, 100mm fork, super short chainstays and wide 730mm bars) and found it to be incredibly enjoyable. I never wished for more travel, but I am a very tiny person at 5'4" and 128 pounds. Just recently I picked up a very racy hardtail and am looking to see how that handles.

Looking at the Goblins I would say you would be happy (at least at freetown, which I believe to be the rockiest, rootiest of the bunch) on either of the two bikes mentioned! Obviously the non evo version will climb a bit better but the EVO theoretically should be a bit more controlled on descents and feel a little more relaxed. Feel free to take or ignore my advice! haha just my 2 cents. Fantastic specs on both!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I own a Seeker and it works really well for road, fire roads, and XC trails. If you want to ride rock gardens, not so well. With wider bars, shorter stem, and knobbier tires it makes a very good trail bike. For the $500-1800 range bike, they are the best value IMHO. The Goblin Evo sale for around $1200 was a great deal for a great bike. If you want to ride rough trails, get a FS bike. There are a lot of rough trails around Boston, not sure what the trails are like you want to ride. The Cape has fewer rocks in general, so probably the Airbornes would be great for that area.