27.5+ bikes on NE trails- Mtbr.com
    dmo
    mtbr member

27.5+ bikes on NE trails

I was wondering if many people are riding 27.5+ bikes around here and what they like. Ever since spesh and trek came out with their 27.5+ bikes it seems everyone is making one. Intense ACV, Ibis Mojo 3, Santa Cruz Hightower, Yeti SB5+ all look sweet but how do they handle east coast singletrack, rocks, up and down etc?

mtbr member
    Everyone who follows trends is riding one sure.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Currently using a fat bike with front sus and a 29er enduro. Both work great. Dual sus would work well. I know for some it takes a while to dial in the psi for tires. Extra grip? Yup. Just do some demos.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I ended up with a deal I couldn't refuse on one about a year ago. It does exactly what adding 1/4-1/2" to tire size has always done. Adds some weight, adds some grip (depending on tire choice), adds some bounce/float, mutes trail feel.

Using the Wicked Ride for a point of tech reference, I cleaned almost all the same stuff as I have in previous years on my regular 26" bikes, maybe a little a bit less due to the bigger and heavier wheels not being as responsive when trying to restart from a trackstand. Definitely more work to heave the bike around in the slow trialsy stuff as well as to place the tires accurately.

In general though, plenty of fun on 'regular' trails (ie - Lowell-Dracut, Leo, etc) and I'm pretty sure my overall speeds are up a bit. Running 3" tires now, but once they fall apart, I'm going to move to something like a 2.8" High Roller. I sure as hell wouldn't go run out to buy one if I didn't actually need a bike and could get a sweet deal, and I don't buy into most of the over-hype and marketing BS surrounding "plus" bikes. It's just a slightly bigger tire, that's all, no matter what the salesguy at the shop tries to tell you.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    I ended up with a deal I couldn't refuse on one about a year ago. It does exactly what adding 1/4-1/2" to tire size has always done. Adds some weight, adds some grip (depending on tire choice), adds some bounce/float, mutes trail feel.

Using the Wicked Ride for a point of tech reference, I cleaned almost all the same stuff as I have in previous years on my regular 26" bikes, maybe a little a bit less due to the bigger and heavier wheels not being as responsive when trying to restart from a trackstand. Definitely more work to heave the bike around in the slow trialsy stuff as well as to place the tires accurately.

In general though, plenty of fun on 'regular' trails (ie - Lowell-Dracut, Leo, etc) and I'm pretty sure my overall speeds are up a bit. Running 3" tires now, but once they fall apart, I'm going to move to something like a 2.8" High Roller. I sure as hell wouldn't go run out to buy one if I didn't actually need a bike and could get a sweet deal, and I don't buy into most of the over-hype and marketing BS surrounding "plus" bikes. It's just a slightly bigger tire, that's all, no matter what the salesguy at the shop tries to tell you.
    Thanks for the input. That makes sense and was the type of advice I was looking for. If I come across a deal for a frame I might pick one up and slowly build it up just for fun

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Been riding a 29+ Krampus for 3 years in Western Mass. Makes my regular 29er feel like a road bike. Favorite bike I've ever owned. . There's so much to choose from these days. It's a great time for bikes.

Parking Lot Poser
    i also recently picked up a 27.5 plus bike. i initially was running 29" wheels in it. i moved over to the plus wheels to "try them out", and have been pleasantly surprised on how much i like them. i appreciate the overall comfort more than anything. they are quite simply fun to ride. i ride the steeper climbs a bit more conservatively, but beyond that it's business as usual.
    i was quite resistant to the idea, and was always surprised at how some people have sworn off skinnier tires. now i understand.
    i'm curious how my first ride back on my 29" wheels will go.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    One thing that is nice is climbing traction, particularly in dirt. Big tires hook up.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mdc
    mtbr member
    Thom P. from JRA and DirtWire.tv posted a video recently of his opinion of 27.5+- enjoi or don't:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap7QufbMODM

mtbr member
    I like them at Harold Parker, etc. Mine is light.

mtbr member
    27.5+ bikes on NE trails-pipeline.jpg
    Been digging my Rocky Mountain for about 4 months now in western mass

( )
    Nov 2004
    I think 27.5+ works wicked good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    When I started riding 29er's I said I could never go back to 26's.

Now I am on a 27.5+, I could never go back to a skinny 29er.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Funny how people get like that.
    I swap bikes pretty regularly. HT/FS, big tires/wheels, little tires/wheels, old school/new school...whatever. Part of the fun of riding for me.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    If I could afford more than one bike I'm sure it would be different, but my wife and two boys ride, keeping 4 of us on bikes, especially with how fast they are growing might require a part time job. 😉

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Not like I'm buying new shit all the time - I just rarely get rid of a bike that I've liked until the frame finally gives it up, so I've got a few decades worth of 'extras' in the shed.

I only ever buy a 'new' bike if there's a substantial discount involved. Used FTW!
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Parking Lot Poser
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Squirrel View Post
    If I could afford more than one bike I'm sure it would be different, but my wife and two boys ride, keeping 4 of us on bikes, especially with how fast they are growing might require a part time job. 
    thats the beauty of the "plus size" revolution. you can squeeze more than 1 wheel size into the bike.

1 frame + 4 wheels = 2 bikes

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    That's true, but so far my 27.5x2.8's do awesome everywhere.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thinking rather than a new set of 29 carbon rims maybe a set of wide 27.5 as might be more fun... Too bad boost wheels are too new to go on sale yet!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmblur View Post
    Thinking rather than a new set of 29 carbon rims maybe a set of wide 27.5 as might be more fun... Too bad boost wheels are too new to go on sale yet!
    Here is a boost 27.5+ wheelset on sale: $399.95 MSRP $799.00

Mercury Wheels X3 27.5 Plus Boost Wheelset | Competitive Cyclist

I just got the Ibis 738's and, while not on sale, seem to be a great deal at $549.00

Ibis 738 Aluminum 27.5" Wheelset > Components > Wheels > Mountain Wheels | Jenson USA

The 738's were super easy to set up tubeless and the 35mm internal seems perfect for my 3.0" Rocket Ron's

Eric

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauldotcom View Post
    Everyone who follows trends is riding one sure.
    I like my 27.5plus wheels OK but I definitely prefer to put the 29 wheels on when priority is going fast and conditions are dry. I love having the option of putting the plus wheels on my 29er bikes (hardatail and FS) as conditions get sloppier and slower though. In the end all it cost me is a set of super fashionable wheels and tires, nice to have in case of emergencies either way.

Hi Paul.

mtbr member
    Good post and agree (especially if you don't own a fat bike).

How's it going? Long time no see! LMK when you want a tour of Facing Rock Ludlow - just leaf blew them the other day..
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM