27.5 bikes any good for NE riding?- Mtbr.com
    dmo
    mtbr member

27.5 bikes any good for NE riding?

I'm considering getting a new bike and was wondering if 27.5 bikes are much of an improvement from 26 or 29ers for the trails around here?

mtbr member

27.5 bikes any good for NE riding?

I've been riding a 27.5 for a couple of years and I love it. I've ridden it all over eastern MA, from Otis to Vietnam, HP, and even a trip to highland.

I chose 27.5 because for several reasons. I'm on the short side, I wanted a good amount of travel , and I wanted burly wheels that weren't too heavy.

I think 29ers are great, too , if I wasn't taking this bike to highland, nam and diamond hill I would probably have gotten a 29er.

I don't think 27.5 would be really an improvement, more of finding the wheel size that makes the most sense for you. Find a demo or one to try if you're not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NEMBA Freetown VP

banned
    Sep 2008
    27.5 would b my next bike if I ever get bored with Fatbikes. Rode 29ers for 11 years and 27.5 feels much more intuitive/playful. Have ridden both ht and fs 27.5's.

Go for it.

rog

mtbr member
    All depends on your size as the above poster suggested. 29er tires roll over gaps and rocks, but because of the tire size, can feel cumbersome to some. It all boils down to personal opinion and fit. There are 100 different body types out there and 100 different riding styles and 100 different riding places. Every bike has it's place, and no opinion is wrong. I like the 29er because I need to keep up with everyone else that has one.. lol
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

banned
    Sep 2008
    "depends on your size" is an old wives tale.

rog

Wanna Ride Bikes?
    Jun 2014
    My wife is 5'5" and rides a 29" with no problem at all.
    Hold my beer and watch this!

mtbr member
    I'm sorry, 5'5 is a little different than 5'0. My son is small, and rides a small 26er that fits him much better than a small 29er. But you guys are sooooo right, has NOTHING to do with size.

I also have a friend considering switching to a 27.5 bike because he feels many of the 29er versions feel "longer" because of the geo. But once again, you guys are soooo right, has NOTHING to do with size.

As I said, it's personal preferance, but size is a consideration. Also, you can be 5'5 and have short arms / long torso, or long legs / short torso.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

Wanna Ride Bikes?
    Jun 2014
    Not trying to say 29" (or any size) is for every rider, just offering some personal experience. My wife tried out a bunch of bikes and went with the one that "felt right" to her. Just happened to be wagon wheels. Without question, get the size that feels the best.
    Hold my beer and watch this!

banned
    Sep 2008
    top tube length/cockpit length is what it is on any bike no matter what the size of the wheel. just sayin.

rog

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Best way to find out is try to ride a version of both from the same manufacture.

For Instance, Recently I've ridden Both the Cannondale Trigger 29er and the 27.5 and
    I did some pedaling on a Kona Process 111 (29er) and Process 153 (27.5).

Similar part specs and frames, even similar intent, but you can really get a sense of how wheel size affects the overall package.

FWIW: For MY New England Riding I'd take the Trigger 27.5 over the 29er, but I'd take the Proccess 111 (29er) over 153 (27.5).

Another thoughT is this: what do you mean by New England riding? It's a big region with very, very varied trails. The Best choice for Batchelor St or Wendell might not be your first choice if You were riding Nickerson and ToT on the Cape. The Perfect Lynn Woods machine might not be so perfect in Charlemont or the White Mountains. From Kingdom Trails in VT to Old Mine Park in Trumbull CT is a lot of different dirt and rock experiences.

mtbr member
    agree

mtbr member
    suberbman - what are your thoughts on the Trigger 27.5 and the Kona Process 111?? I'm guessing the Trigger is lighter and more XC oriented and the Kona is more flickable and trail oriented? wishing I could domo some modern bikes soon.