10-12 days of riding on the East Coast- Mtbr.com
    IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004

10-12 days of riding on the East Coast

Hello everyone!

This summer, we're taking a road trip on the East Coast to sample the best trails available. I don't have an exact plan but all i know is that we're hitting the road for 2 straight weeks in hopes of riding the best trails out there. I don't mind driving down to New Jersey but i want to be riding, not only driving! We'll be camping every night... but don't mind a Motel once in a while...

So i'm looking for trail info, places to hit... here's what i have so far:

- North Conway, NH :: I've been meaning to go there for 2 years... On the way back home, we'll check it out!
    - NYC :: I have to check this "urban hot spot" as we're trying to get something done here too... And we'll most likely spend 2 days in NYC visiting since we haven't been in a couple of years
    - Bear Brook
    - Fort Rock
    - FOMBA
    - Lynn Wood
    - Highland MTB park
    - Mont Aggy, Maine
    - Arcadia, RI
    - Allamuchy and Ringwood, NJ
    - Case Mountain, CT

What else?

So if you have websites with maps and info, it would be killer to be able to sample more info... places to visit... bike shops... This will be a good "training" if we ever make the move for the "IMBA Trail Care Crew"... only it will be 2 years and not 2 weeks on the road! lol! And one last thing, my girlfriend is a good rider but she won't like doing really technical trails every day... So open and flowy twisty singletrack is always the best option for her... but she's used to "earning" her turns.

Thanks for the feedback!
    ADSVMQ :: Quebec mountain bike trail advocacy group www.ADSVMQ.org

mtbr member

vietnam - milford MA

I spotted this cross post in the CT RI area...just wanted to tell you that I ride in a few of your listed places to hit...and would insert Vietnam in Milford over some of them

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    Well, i know about Vietnam... but i'm not sure my gf would like it... A few buddies went and said it's super techy... I'm x-posting all over right now because i don't know exactly what are my plans right now... i have to link those spots on a map somehow...

So any suggestions of area with "textbook" trails that will be flowy and fun?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I would ride Batchlor Street in Granby Ma over Case Mt. Case is good, but B street is better

mtbr member
    Just for reference they do a womens skills clinic with beginners at Vietnam. There are some hard parts but you can also do a singletrack XC ride there also. Most if not all of the features have go arounds. Might want to give it another consideration.

mtbr member
    Sounds like your girlfriend would really enjoy Earl's Trails in Amherst, MA. They're on the opposite side of the Holyoke Range from Batchelor street and you can easily ride both in a 2-5 hour ride. Earl's is smooth, tight, twisty singletrack with really great flow. Batchelor street is real technical and rocky.

mtbr member
    If you are looking for Flowy Twisty Single Track - Earls, Robinson, Harold Parker, Trail of Tears - all belong ahead of Lynn, Case and Highland.
    Last edited by hado_pv; 07-08-2008 at 09:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I'm Not sure where you are coming from , but from your Sig it looks like Canada , so On your way down you really must stop at the Kingdom trails in Burke , VT

as for Vietnam, if you need a guide , if I'm around I'd be more then happy to show you around. and Vietnam , and Level can Ride Vietnam , ther are just certain trails you don't take Beginners down.
    I'm Better known as Splat

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Highland has made tons of improvements to the already great trails. They have a beginner trail they just opened thats all berms and super flowy.
    If you have been told Nam is tech and are avoiding it based on that, I would cross Lynn off your list. Lynn is a ton more tech than Nam and far less flowy.
    Last edited by auntesther; 07-06-2008 at 01:14 PM.
    rise above

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by auntesther
    If you have been told Nam is tech and are avoiding it based on that, I would cross Lynn off your list. List is a ton more tech than Nam and far less flowy.
    I 2nd that Motion!!!
    I'm Better known as Splat

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Circusjunk
    I'm Not sure where you are coming from , but from your Sig it looks like Canada , so On your way down you really must stop at the Kingdom trails in Burke , VT
    Yep, i'm from Montreal... but Vermont is my real playground... I do most of my riding there since my parents live in Jay (45mins from KT)... So i won't be making any stops in Northern Vermont and Northern New Hampshire... this stuff is still "too local" if it can be reached within 1,5hours from home!

I'll be visiting NYC and Boston for a day or 2 each... and we'll ride in between before making our way up north. If you have good riding opportunities or "group rides" and/or good campsites, let me know, we're less then 15 days away from getting on the road! I have to start mapping everything!

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    If you are in the Sutton area give me a shout. I am usually riding somewhere. Sutton Water Works, Singletary, Rayburn, or Ribbon Candy. All great places. Here is my map of the local trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJay
    Yep, i'm from Montreal... but Vermont is my real playground... I do most of my riding there since my parents live in Jay (45mins from KT)... So i won't be making any stops in Northern Vermont and Northern New Hampshire... this stuff is still "too local" if it can be reached within 1,5hours from home!

I'll be visiting NYC and Boston for a day or 2 each... and we'll ride in between before making our way up north. If you have good riding opportunities or "group rides" and/or good campsites, let me know, we're less then 15 days away from getting on the road! I have to start mapping everything!

Thanks again!
    For what's it's worth - I travel to N. Vt (house also in Jay) w/ my wife on a regular basis as she enjoys Kingdom trails & recently discovered the trails in Montgomery. She also enjoys the Stowe & Waterbury trails. Sounds like our wives are of similar mindset.

With that said, Lynn is out for her.

Vietnam has undergone some major sanitizing & the NEMBA loop is pretty easy to find - if your wife can ride the Montgomery trails, she may do ok w/ it.

FOMBA should also fit quite nicely for you guys.

I have 'thought' of taking my wife to highland since the new trail would be ok w/ her, most of it anyway. Just make sure that your wife is aware that it is a DH mountain bike park & is a very different experience than trail riding.

Sorry, but I can't comment on the other areas - good luck!

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    Good stuff! Good advice!

My girlfriend likes the "mellow" DH we have in Bromont... but doesn't like the very technical stuff... but doesn't mind walking a bit! lol! Since this a bike trip for both of us, i'll try and keep everything fun for her too. We'll stay out of Lynn Woods and check out what Vietnam has to offer...

Thanks!

We should ride in Montgomery, check your MP, i'm there most weekends!

Members who have read this thread: 0