New to mountain biking, bought a 1994 Pine Mountain- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2016

New to mountain biking, bought a 1994 Pine Mountain

Hey - I'm new to mountain biking, wanted to try riding to work to get back into shape, and the $30 goodwill huffy I bought is going to kill me if I take it down any more large hills.. So, I did some research and tried to find a vintage bike that pretty much kicks ass ( because I have 4 kids and not a lot of spare money ) . I'm 45 years old, and way back in the day, I rode bmx for a bike shop, and assembled bikes for 2 years. So, I bought this - "Needs TLC - that's why it's for parts" ( not knowing that the entire world of mountain bike part interchangeability was 100000 times worse than bmx/freestyle)

So, I have a few questions/observations and they're mostly around things that I can't find specs on -

1) Rear derailleur hanger - Does anyone know what hanger this bike uses?

I've come to find out that "Vintage Rock Shox MAG 21 RARE" is doublespeak for "Slaying a unicorn is easier than finding a rebuild kit"
    Okay, so here's where I need help -

a) What should I do with the drivetrain, it's completely missing - Do you think I should attempt to rebuild it as it was, or use newer tech?

b) I am using this to ride to and from work, and once I get back into shape, I'll start trailriding. What are decent 26" budget wheels that are suited for mostly street, can take like/moderate abuse?

c) It's not here yet, so I can't tell how bad the fork is, is there a decent budget fork that's 1 1/8"?

d) It looks like I might have to replace the brake/shift handles, any recommendations?

Bikeapedia link for reference

Thanks,
    Todd

Hell Track
    Honestly, the money you are are going to put into this bike along with the money already spent in my opinion will not be worth it. There are some pretty good new bikes on the market well under $1000. Someone posted a diamond back in another form for around $700 that was well spec'd for the $$$. You're basically talking about building up a frame which could get pricey. Finding the parts used could be tough also. Let us know how it goes if you build it. Good luck