New to the club! 2020 AT8- Mtbr.com
    Always in the wrong gear

New to the club! 2020 AT8

It finally arrived!

I ordered a 2020 Alpine Trail 8 from an online retailer in Mid/late May and it arrived at my door on Friday. Approx a 6 week wait.

I spent most of the evening setting it up, adjusting the levers, and tuning the suspension.

It got a very small tasted of dirt riding with my 8 y/o on Saturday, a good ride on Sunday, and another on Monday.

Prior to adding this to my stable I have been 100% on a steel singlespeed, front travel varying from rigid with a 3.0 tire, to a 120mm Fox 34 and 2.4's.

This bike is crazy. It's so different (in a good way) it's almost mind boggling. I'm still "faster" on my SS, according to Strava, but even on the 2nd ride I've hit lines with no fear that gave me pause on a bike that I've ridden for approximately 6k dirt miles. Rocks simply don't exist, and nothing feels steep. It did take a bit to get used to a 5 degree slacker HTA though. LoL. Those first few switchbacks were entertaining.

So far:
    Installed Saint pedals
    Swapped the rear tire for a Rekon 2.4 and converted the wheels to tubeless. (I like the Rekon on my other bike, we'll see how long it lasts here)
    Changed the stem to a 50mm
    Traded the saddle for the same Ergon SMC3 I've ridden for 3 years
    Installed an e*13 chain guide/bashguard
    Applied clear 3m tape to basically the whole frame
    made a Kydex downtube guard and affixed it with velcro

If my math is right, I can fit a 180mm OneUp dropper, which will happen soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New to the club! 2020 AT8-at8-box.jpg  

New to the club! 2020 AT8-8-set-up.jpg  

New to the club! 2020 AT8-at8-1st-ride.jpg  

Last edited by Impetus; 07-01-2020 at 09:07 PM. Reason: fixed pics
    Shiftin' jumps and huckin' gears

mtbr member
    I ran a 2.4 Rekon on tbe rear of my 2020 Rift Zone for a bit until I randomly blew huge hole in the sidewall. I ended up getting Dissectors F&R but I'll probably try the Rekon again once this tire wears out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Tell me more about that judex protector!

Always in the wrong gear

New to the club! 2020 AT8

Quote Originally Posted by nono29 View Post
    Tell me more about that judex protector!
    I bought an 8x11 sheet (actually a pack of 2) of 0.080 Kydex on eBay for $12.
    Sliced a 2x 8 strip off using my table saw and rounded the corners with an angle grinder.
    It gets soft like leather after 3 minutes in a 250*F oven.
    I laid a t-shirt down over the upside-down frame to protect the paint on the bike and the 3M clear tape.
    Once hot, I pressed the kydex against the frame, it cooled and hardened in like 15 seconds. It can be reheated and reshaped if not right.

Since I previously applied 3M clear vinyl frame tape to the downtube from headtube to bottom bracket, I just cut two 1x2 pieces of velcro and stuck it on the tape. The 3M tape comes up clean if ever removed, I dont know about the adhesive on the Velcro, so I stuck it to the tape.

My thought is that the velcro allows the protector to be removed for cleaning or if damaged and also disperses the energy of a rock strike and the kydex never actually touches the bike.

Im out of town, and only brought my singlespeed for the weekend, I left the AT at home. Ill try to get some pics of the protector later if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shiftin' jumps and huckin' gears