New Bike! Marin Attack Trail C-XT9 (and a quick review)- Mtbr.com
    I ride bikes

New Bike! Marin Attack Trail C-XT9 (and a quick review)

So about a month ago, I had my 2 beloved mountain bikes as well as my wife's mountain bike and a GT FS that I was fixing up for a friend all stolen out of my garage.

My insurance company covered the bikes so I figured why not shop for one of my dream bikes. After a lot of demos, crunching geo numbers, and reviews I finally found a great deal on a bike that I have wanted for a while now.

2014 Marin Attack Trail C-XT9
    *Disclaimer, this is my 3rd Marin bike(2007 Mount Vision, 2013 MV XM7)*
    New Bike! Marin Attack Trail C-XT9 (and a quick review)-xt9-2.jpg
    New Bike! Marin Attack Trail C-XT9 (and a quick review)-xt9.jpg
    New Bike! Marin Attack Trail C-XT9 (and a quick review)-golf.jpg
    Things I like:
    1. Rear suspension design. This is one of the reasons that I have bought marin bikes the last few times. It has 100% anti squat If using a 32t chainring. Starts with a rearward axle path. Very supple beginning stroke that ramps up heavily at the end.
    2. Dat Frame Tho. SO CARBON! Its super stiff, relatively light(for a 150/160 travel bike) and has unique looks too it. Some dont like the seat tube junction, I love it. Stealthy raw carbon with a little bit of bling.
    3. The kit. Everyone knows the Pike RCT3, monarch plus, reverb stealth are great, but some components surprised me. The E13 crankset makes the new shimano xtr cranks look like they were designed by a child with a crayon(also they are just as light). The Avid Elixir Trail 9 brakes are fantastic even compared to formulas and Shimanos I have used in the past. Blown away by how light they are for a 4 piston caliper brakeset. Lets see how long before they need a bleed.
    4. The cable routing. It's a small detail, but it makes such a huge difference. Marin gives you the choice of internal, external or mixed. The internal routing is fantastic.
    New Bike! Marin Attack Trail C-XT9 (and a quick review)-picmonkey-collage.jpg
    5. Geometry. The bottom bracket is super low at 30% sag. This thing is made for having fun first and for going fast down hills as a secondary priority. Its not super low(other than the BB) or super long, but it feels stable enough while still being extremely playful.

Things I don't like:
    1. Bars and stem that came with it. I believe the stock setup was 70mm stem with 710 bars. I went for the large size frame while I would normally go for a medium. I bought some lightly used Renthal Fatbar carbon(780mm, might cut down a bit) and a 50mm Duo stem.
    2. Super low bottom bracket. While climbing tech rocky hills, I have to be super careful of my pedal placement.

Things that have been changed:
    Bars and stem. Seatpost to a reverb stealth. Saddle to a Selle Italia. XT Cassette with 42t WT Cog. 1x conversion with 30t guide ring. Rear tire to a 2015 Nobby Nic.

Things I will probably change in the future:
    Wheelset(I will wait till I destroy the eastons) Pedals(XT), Grips

I haven't had a chance to get the bike up to any lift assisted mountains yet, but possibly this weekend.

Big takeaways:
    This bike may not be as fast down the gnarly stuff as a Capra, SB6c, Enduro, Nomad, etc, but it is super fun and playful, pedals extremely well, and fits me perfectly. If it's good enough to help Kyle Warner win the N American Enduro Championship last year, its probably good enough for me. It's stiff, light, great suspension, and sexy. What more do you want?

Last edited by moefosho; 02-01-2016 at 03:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Great bike!! Love the carbon frame 😉
    my little Blog - rides and mtb parts :thumbsup:
    http://mtb-il.blogspot.com/

I ride bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by eyco View Post
    Great bike!! Love the carbon frame 😉
    Thanks! I think it was a good investment since I will be riding this bike for years.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Sure is.. just keep them safe this time 😉

I ride bikes
    Locked up. Inside my house!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Love Marin! Nice bikes

mtbr member
    I got the same bike. I think we agree on pretty much everything. Super fun bike. BB is a little low and the TT is a little short for me (im 6'0"). Also replaced the bar and stem for 740mm and 50mm. Might go up to a wider bar but still the majority of my riding is trail. I also added a 42t and single NW chainring. I like the KS lev integra post that came with mine. Oh I also upgraded the rear rotor to 180mm. I have used it on lift assisst downhill and it works great for all but the super steep tech stuff. Jumps awesome.

A lot of great bikes in this category but Im definitely happy with my attack trail overall.

New Bike! Marin Attack Trail C-XT9 (and a quick review)-20150616_153311_2.jpg

I ride bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by inverted180 View Post
    I got the same bike. I think we agree on pretty much everything. Super fun bike. BB is a little low and the TT is a little short for me (im 6'0"). Also replaced the bar and stem for 740mm and 50mm. Might go up to a wider bar but still the majority of my riding is trail. I also added a 42t and single NW chainring. I like the KS lev integra post that came with mine. Oh I also upgraded the rear rotor to 180mm. I have used it on lift assisst downhill and it works great for all but the super steep tech stuff. Jumps awesome.

A lot of great bikes in this category but Im definitely happy with my attack trail overall.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150616_153311_2.jpg 
Views:	536 
Size:	335.7 KB 
ID:	1003113
    Yeah it was hard trying to decide which bike in this category, but I wanted a bike that I don't ride past every time I hit the mountain(ie spec, SC, Trek, Giant). This thing checked all the boxes.

I ride bikes
    I got to do some real testing this weekend. Friday after work I went to the local mountain. 3000 ft elevation gain followed by a fantastic descent.
    This bike loves to go fast and pop off of rocks, roots, everything.

The whole chassis feels extremely stiff and yet is super smooth and quiet. Coming from a 140mm bike this one just seems to have a much more bottomless feel. Definitely gives me some extra forgiveness on bad landings, and bad lines.

The BB height was amazing for the descent but really makes me think when going up rocky/rooty tech climbs.

Saturday I went for a 36 mile xc ride. If it wasnt for the heat and my legs I would have rode further.
    New Bike! Marin Attack Trail C-XT9 (and a quick review)-7182015.jpgNew Bike! Marin Attack Trail C-XT9 (and a quick review)-7182015a.jpgNew Bike! Marin Attack Trail C-XT9 (and a quick review)-7182015b.jpg

I ride bikes
    Cut the bars down to 760mm. Put some ESI chunky grips on. Put a Prologo Nago Evo X8 Nack(stupid long name) carbon saddle on.

Went on a ride with my wife and dog. Then went for a much more technical ride with some friends. This bike flys through rocky sections. When I run lower pressures I tend to have a lot of tire squirm which is a bit uncomfortable.
    New Bike! Marin Attack Trail C-XT9 (and a quick review)-72615.jpgNew Bike! Marin Attack Trail C-XT9 (and a quick review)-72715.jpg

I ride bikes
    Went up to Silver Mountain Bike park. It had just rained for a couple of days and we had hero dirt. Had a blast just descending all day long. This bike is far more capable than I am. Good times with good friends.
    New Bike! Marin Attack Trail C-XT9 (and a quick review)-090715-2.jpg
    New Bike! Marin Attack Trail C-XT9 (and a quick review)-090715-3.jpg
    New Bike! Marin Attack Trail C-XT9 (and a quick review)-090715-4.jpg
    New Bike! Marin Attack Trail C-XT9 (and a quick review)-090715-5.jpg
    New Bike! Marin Attack Trail C-XT9 (and a quick review)-090715-6.jpg
    New Bike! Marin Attack Trail C-XT9 (and a quick review)-090715-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Sweet Attack Trail

Moefoshoe- Sexy bike !!! You are spot on regarding the attributes of your Attack Trail. I'm rolling the Mt Vision, Carbon, Rawr & Blue frame like you. I totally get how you get tired of seeing the other large name brands... Spesh, Santa CCruz, Trek. Marin is putting out a great bike these days. Congrats on your new steed, ride you bike with speed , stoke, and good times.New Bike! Marin Attack Trail C-XT9 (and a quick review)-taco-mt-vision.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Bike! Marin Attack Trail C-XT9 (and a quick review)-marin-xm-8-photo.jpg  

I ride bikes
    Pup and I did some shredding!
    New Bike! Marin Attack Trail C-XT9 (and a quick review)-jackson-graffiti.jpg

I ride bikes
    Decided to do a little bit of an upgrade to my ride. This will be my first wheelset with a fast engaging hub. Cant wait to put them on!

Hell Track
    Nice, where did you buy the wheels from?

I ride bikes
    New DT Swiss 27 5" XM1501 SPLINE1 15mm Front 12x142mm Rear Tubeless Wheelset 650 | eBay

They also have a set with an XD driver for the same price.

Hell Track
    cool.. pretty light and a nice price. let us know how they work out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Nice! and very light.

I ride bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by crewjones View Post
    cool.. pretty light and a nice price. let us know how they work out.
    I will give them a good test this weekend!

I ride bikes
    New Bike! Marin Attack Trail C-XT9 (and a quick review)-0130161525b.jpg

Pretty dang happy with these wheels. Hitting some technical rocky climbs I could tell a huge difference with the engagement of the hubs. The wheels feel extremely stiff compared to what I was riding before, I didnt notice any tire squirm.

The bike is down to 26.8lbs with some mud on the tires.

I ride bikes
    Well... after noticing a crack in my seat tube near the pivot. No noise, flex, or issues, but it was a cause for concern.

I took it in to the only Marin dealer in town. They were able to warranty the frame with Marin. I guess Marin was only able to find a 17.5" Pro model, but I wasn't going to complain about them sending me a brand new $2500+ carbon frame. I slid the saddle back 10mm. Might have to get a slightly longer stem and a 150 dropper.

Put a Sunrace CSMX3 11-42t cassette and a new chain for this season. Shifts like butter.

New Bike! Marin Attack Trail C-XT9 (and a quick review)-new-frame1.jpgNew Bike! Marin Attack Trail C-XT9 (and a quick review)-new-frame2.jpg

mtbr member
    Man, you've had almost anything that can go wrong go wrong with your Marin's glad to see the last issue was taken care of by Marin. Hopefully I don't run into any issues with my XM8, I absolutely love this bike.

I ride bikes
    Yeah, its been an interesting journey.
    I thought I had the bike of my dreams. It got stolen.
    Used the insurance money to buy the new bike of my dreams. It cracks.
    Thinking that the frame wouldn't be warrantied, I was going to look at my options, but my LBS and Marin came through. I don't like the white as much as I did the blue, but a free carbon frame is a free carbon frame.

Bought a syntace megaforce 60mm stem to try and see if I can make it fit better.

Hell Track
    Man, you haven't had that bike very long. It shouldn't be cracking so soon. I've been hearing about the Mount Visions cracking at the seat tube also.

mtbr member
    Which Mount Visions Carbon for Aluminum?

Hell Track
    Aluminum, but the of the 2 i've seen that cracked one had a lot of seat post showing, probably too much, so it could be due to that, which is could happen on any bike

I ride bikes
    New Bike! Marin Attack Trail C-XT9 (and a quick review)-znuhdkl01xj3bdgklodlae4i7yyem19ft_ldgyq0tco-1746x2048.jpg
    She is looking and feeling nice!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    How are you guys finding sizing?

I have the option between a medium Attack Trail Pro and a large Attack Trail 9. I've been told they fit 'small', so am leaning towards the large but there aren't any large Pro's available where I am, only mediums, but plenty of 9's available.

I'm 5'9", and have been comfortable, but barely so, on other mediums that have similar, if not slightly longer reaches. Now, though, I am on a larger bike with a longer reach and it is nice.

Anyways, just curious to hear some opinions on sizing.

Thanks!
    -Mike

mtbr member
    I was lucky to have a Marin dealer close by that had large and mediums and while I'm 5'11 with a 32 inch inseam the medium fit just right for me.

I ride bikes
    I am 5'10 and the medium and large both fit me well. The large will offer a bit more reach.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Got a small on the way, I am only 5'3 but worried I should have sized up. I have never bought a medium frame ever though. tried a blur LTc once as was sold to me as a small but was in actual fact a medium & this ended up getting sold as was just a bit too big for me. anyone running a small???