MTBR Wolf Ridge 9 review comment- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jbsocal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    361

    MTBR Wolf Ridge 9 review comment

    I suspect that the dropper insertion depth problem and tire rubbing issue mentioned in the review may only be an issue with the size small or possibly the medium frame.

    I own a size large Marin Wolf Ridge Pro.

    The KS with offset dropper that came on my size large is 150 mm and can be fully inserted into the seat tube (not sure if it is the same with a medium).

    With my seatpost fully inserted with the seatpost all the way downthere is NO tire rubbing the seat when the shock is fully compressed.

    I normally ride a medium, so I needed to make some changes to make the large fit me better, which included inserting the dropper all the way in the seatpost.

    I normally would not buy a size large...but I got a fantastic deal and this is the bike I most wanted to try.



    20 Specialized Turbo Levo Comp (27.5+/29+)
    19 LenzSport Lunchbox 29+

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    24,083
    Is your shock fully pumped up in the first pick? If it is, damn that STA is slack, I'd think if you want a proper idea of how that bike rides you should ditch that setback dropper for a straight post. All I can think when looking at that is how horribly it must climb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

  3. #3
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    11,722
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Is your shock fully pumped up in the first pick? If it is, damn that STA is slack, I'd think if you want a proper idea of how that bike rides you should ditch that setback dropper for a straight post. All I can think when looking at that is how horribly it must climb.
    The bars 2" above the seat aren't helping, either. That looks miserable.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    105
    How do you like riding it now that you've had it a little bit?
    What dealer did you go through?
    What was the fantastic price if you don't mind me asking?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jbsocal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by hbar314 View Post
    How do you like riding it now that you've had it a little bit?
    What dealer did you go through?
    What was the fantastic price if you don't mind me asking?
    I saw the bike new on eBay with a minimum bid of $4500.

    I decided to bid on it even though it was a large and I ride mediums...I was the only bidder, so I won it with the minimum bid (bike was new in box).

    First time I got a brand new top of the line carbon bike for 50 percent off...usually I prefer to buy a used one.

    Figured Id ride it for awhile and sell it before the 6 month Pay Pal no interest loan was due.

    Now, Im riding it more than my custom built medium 2017 S-Works Enduro 29 (which I also really like), so Im going to keep it.

    I doubt I would have kept it if it was any other bike (since it is a size large).
    20 Specialized Turbo Levo Comp (27.5+/29+)
    19 LenzSport Lunchbox 29+

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    105
    Thanks for the reply.

    How tall are you?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jbsocal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by hbar314 View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

    How tall are you?
    Im 57 with a 28 inseam.

    Just got a medium Trek Full Stache.

    It will be fun to ride the Wolf back to back with my Full Stache.

    Im going to put an XR4 29 x 3.0 in the front and a XR4 29 x 2.6 in the rear of my Wolf...love the bigger tires.

    Im not sure if a McFly 2.8 would fit in the rear (I was told max 2.6).

    I almost bought a used medium Wolf...but I also really wanted to try a real full suspension 29+ and funds are limited.
    20 Specialized Turbo Levo Comp (27.5+/29+)
    19 LenzSport Lunchbox 29+

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jbsocal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    The bars 2" above the seat aren't helping, either. That looks miserable.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    I put high bars on all my bikes...just dont like a lot of weight on my hands all the time.
    20 Specialized Turbo Levo Comp (27.5+/29+)
    19 LenzSport Lunchbox 29+

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jbsocal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Is your shock fully pumped up in the first pick? If it is, damn that STA is slack, I'd think if you want a proper idea of how that bike rides you should ditch that setback dropper for a straight post. All I can think when looking at that is how horribly it must climb.
    Bike climbs well...I just dont enjoy climbing...probably has a lot to do with my being overweight.

    I might try a straight seatpost later...a setback made a big difference on my 17 Enduro 29...It is more enjoyable for me being back a bit.
    20 Specialized Turbo Levo Comp (27.5+/29+)
    19 LenzSport Lunchbox 29+

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsocal View Post
    Im 57 with a 28 inseam.

    Just got a medium Trek Full Stache.

    It will be fun to ride the Wolf back to back with my Full Stache.

    Im going to put an XR4 29 x 3.0 in the front and a XR4 29 x 2.6 in the rear of my Wolf...love the bigger tires.

    Im not sure if a McFly 2.8 would fit in the rear (I was told max 2.6).

    I almost bought a used medium Wolf...but I also really wanted to try a real full suspension 29+ and funds are limited.
    Oh wow. I'm 5'10" and was leaning towards the medium. Wish I could get a leg over one before I pull the trigger on any thing.

    Do you wish you had been able to get it in a medium? Or does the size feel alright?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jbsocal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by hbar314 View Post
    Oh wow. I'm 5'10" and was leaning towards the medium. Wish I could get a leg over one before I pull the trigger on any thing.

    Do you wish you had been able to get it in a medium? Or does the size feel alright?
    I prefer a shorter wheelbase and reach...like you, wish I could put my leg over a medium.

    If you are in Texas, it looks like Austin Bike Farm has a medium.

    For me, I cant tell in the parking lot...I need to ride it on a trail.

    I would also like to try a Lyrik or Yari 170 with a shorter offset on my large Wolf.
    20 Specialized Turbo Levo Comp (27.5+/29+)
    19 LenzSport Lunchbox 29+

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TXPABIKER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    85
    Came here looking for thoughts on the 2019 Wolf Ridge. This Memorial weekend, CRC has the 2019 Wolf Ridge 8 50% off in all sizes. I'm in the market for a $2-$2.5K new FS. This is tempting, but probably to much of a $$$ stretch for a first FS bike. CRC also has the 2019 Hawk Hill 3 on sale 25% off, all sizes. That's probably a better first FS bike. Just adding a data point for anyone searching this weekend or future reference on used values.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by TXPABIKER View Post
    Came here looking for thoughts on the 2019 Wolf Ridge. This Memorial weekend, CRC has the 2019 Wolf Ridge 8 50% off in all sizes. I'm in the market for a $2-$2.5K new FS. This is tempting, but probably to much of a $$$ stretch for a first FS bike. CRC also has the 2019 Hawk Hill 3 on sale 25% off, all sizes. That's probably a better first FS bike. Just adding a data point for anyone searching this weekend or future reference on used values.
    Heck of a deal. I'd honestly do it if you were thinking about it anyways.

    I ended up on a Large Polygon Squareone (the 27.5 version) and all the chatter about it pedaling different is right. I love it.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by hbar314 View Post
    Heck of a deal. I'd honestly do it if you were thinking about it anyways.

    I ended up on a Large Polygon Squareone (the 27.5 version) and all the chatter about it pedaling different is right. I love it.
    This bike is the sleeper bike for ages. It does ALOT very well. I'm absoulutely blown away by how versatile it is. It does not climb like a 160 bike at all. Descends like a playful enduro. All boxes checked for me.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hagen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    14
    I just picked up an 8 at the beginning of September. Ive been blown away so far. Climbs extremely well and descends like a champ. Nothing but smiles every time I get on it. Ive been searching for info on the servicing schedule for it since I do all my own wrenching. Anyone have a clue where I can find it?

Similar Threads

  1. public comment time for Tracy Ridge Shared Use in the ANF
    By twright205 in forum Trail Building and Advocacy
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-22-2016, 06:44 PM
  2. Wolf Ridge 6.7 vs. 6.8
    By JohnJameson in forum Marin
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-15-2011, 02:04 PM
  3. Shock size for 2k9 marin wolf ridge?
    By philridebike in forum Marin
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-11-2011, 01:09 PM
  4. Wolf Ridge... little brother to the Quake
    By Pedal Shop in forum Marin
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-19-2010, 05:43 PM

Members who have read this thread: 5

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.