Marin San Quentin- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Marin San Quentin

I'm in the market for an aggressive hardtail and am intrigued by the San Quentin, but can't even tell if it is out yet. Seems to be very little info on it out there. Anyone have any info other than the specs and description on the Marin website?
    2018 YT Jeffsy 29 CF Pro Race

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Here's a youtube video of Matt Jones riding a San Quentin.

https://youtu.be/bavdFAmR08M

And more.

https://youtu.be/YD1Q8uUOlf8

mtbr member
    Interested in the bike as well

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    Here's a youtube video of Matt Jones riding a San Quentin.

https://youtu.be/bavdFAmR08M

And more.

https://youtu.be/YD1Q8uUOlf8
    So if Jones helped develop this bike, and these appear to be promo videos for the bike, why is he running a Fox 36 fork instead of any of the Revelation the bike is spec'd with? Even the promo videos on the Marin website have him on a 36.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Here's a video of his bike build. Sounds like the changes he made were mainly because of who sponsors him.

https://youtu.be/lwmJByBGKUs

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Yeah I figured it was because of sponsorship but still disappointing that the bike he raves about in his videos is not really the same bike the rest of us would be getting.

mtbr member
    I asked one Marin dealer this summer and he said 2019. I'm sure they will trickle out sooner but he said availability is a struggle at the moment with Marin and that was the soonest he was expecting stock. But he was positive that Marin seems to be improving and getting things sorted out

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Already available in NZ. I'm interested too. For the money, nothing else stacks up to this bike ($1799 NZD is $1170 USD)

https://www.bikebarn.co.nz/bikes/mou...-sku-727883001

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    The only thing that sucks the San Quentin 1 come with the “new standard” quick release 9X141 rear hub. While the 2 and 3 comes with 12X148.

I just pick up the 1, and love the bike despite the fact in come with the 141 rear hub. Talk to the shop and I’m going to upgrade to the 2 later on this month.

If you looking for a flickable hardtail to throw down a steep trail please give the Marin SQ a look.

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    Im tempted to sell my chameleon and pick up a san quentin 3. The geo looks spot on. Too bad it won't fit a 3.0 rear tire for bikepacking, but everything else looks great.

To be fair, the only thing i dont like about my chameleon is the head angle and low stack height.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    This looks like a great bike! The Vitus Sentier and Norco Torrent look like the closest bikes (that are available to me in Australia).

Shame that Orange are stupidly marked up and Bird aren't available here

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hambocairns View Post
    This looks like a great bike! The Vitus Sentier and Norco Torrent look like the closest bikes (that are available to me in Australia).

Shame that Orange are stupidly marked up and Bird aren't available here
    Bicycles online have these in Aus
    https://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/marin-san-quentin-2

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ButtersNZ View Post
    So they do... I need to work out how these all fit up for a 6' 5" body!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hambocairns View Post
    So they do... I need to work out how these all fit up for a 6' 5" body!
    with bicycles online they have the 14 day trial so you can try it on for size with on risk. Just got my b17 from them a couple of weeks ago and it was packaged really well. the nail trail 7 looks fantastic value if not after such a hard core hardtail as the SQ.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tubby74 View Post
    with bicycles online they have the 14 day trial so you can try it on for size with on risk. Just got my b17 from them a couple of weeks ago and it was packaged really well. the nail trail 7 looks fantastic value if not after such a hard core hardtail as the SQ.
    So they'll wear the return shipping cost?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    yes, they pick it up from you. theres a 14 day test ride tab at the top of their page for conditions around packing and damage etc

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tubby74 View Post
    yes, they pick it up from you. theres a 14 day test ride tab at the top of their page for conditions around packing and damage etc
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2018

Marin San Quentin

This bike looks like a ton of fun and I really want to demo one in the SF East Bay Area. Really hoping to hear some more reviews of it.

mtbr member
    Looking for a small frame to build up here in the spring hopefully.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    Does anyone have one yet? I'd love to get ahold of one to review.

mtbr member
    Just got a hold of a 2 in XL. Stack height feels pretty damn low, going to switch to a 150 pike and probably a higher rise cockpit. Geo and frame quality otherwise appears to be great. Seat tube could be an inch shorter...but there is plenty of standover clearance. Will post some photos and a bit of a review once I've finished the "rebuild" and actually have ridden it.

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    A couple questions.

1. What's the seat post diameter?
    2. What's the max tire width you can run on one of these?

mtbr member
    1. 30.9
    2. 2.6

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    Dang. I was hoping I could get some 2.8s in there. Thank you.

mtbr member
    When I get a chance I'll try to throw a wheelset with 2.8s in the bike. The frame seems to have a ton of clearance so they may fit. You'd probably have to switch to a 27.5+/29 fork though...

mtbr member
    Here's my completed build. Bike is an XL and scaled at 27.5 lbs with pedals...I'm surprised it ended up so light without an ounce of carbon on it. Head angle should be around 64 degrees now with the 150 fork. Taller riders will probably want to switch to a higher rise bar...the stack height on this thing is pretty low..and the rear axle isn't the nicest thing out there. Otherwise it has been a blast, short stays keep it super nimble but front end is nice and stable. Handles gnarly terrain quite well and seems to be great in the air also.

Specs
    -150mm Pike rct3 46mm offset
    -Code r brakes front 200mm/rear 180mm
    -Gx eagle drive train 170mm cranks
    -40mm Anvl swage stem 5mm rise
    -825mm deity holeshot bars 38mm rise
    -bontrager line elite wheels
    -bont. Se5 2.3 tires
    -170mm one up dropper (fits with my 85 cm inseam, it's about an inch lower than "perfect" saddle height slammed)
    -chromag mood dt saddle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Marin San Quentin-0115191540b%7E2.jpg  

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    Very nice. I've got my eye on one from a local shop selling them cheap. Im tempted to sell my chameleon for one of these. It's a bummer the dropper from my. Chameleon won't switch over, but that's OK. This San Quentin is a lot of bike for the buck.

My. 2019 27.5 fox 36 has clearance for a 27.5x3.0 (barely). I wonder what I could get away with on this. Also, Ive noticed that most 29er forks have about 1" more Atc than a 27.5 fork. That would slacken it out even more and raise the front end...

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    My local performance has these at 40
    % off today. $790 plus tax for a San Quentin 2. I almost pulled the trigger, but ultimately I prefer how my chameleon feels. For some reason it's super hard to get the San Quentin to manual. It could be a combination of higher BB, low stack, and a slightly longer chainstay. Still, it's a heck of a bike for the price.

A few things I noticed.

1. The stack is SUPER low. Too low for my tastes.
    2. The head angle is perfect
    3. The reach feels short to me. I ride a small 2018 chameleon with a 415mm reach, and it felt bigger than a medium San Quentin (440mm reach). Perhaps it's the head angle bringing the bars back, or the super short stem?

I brought my 27.5x3.0 wheel in to test for clearance, and it had PLENTY of clearance in the rear. 49mm I'd arc rim with a specialized 3.0. That's great news since these come alive with plus tires.

All in all, it's a heck of a bike. If I didn't love my chameleon so much, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. I prefer the slack head angle of the Marin, and the short chainstay of the chameleon. The welds and frame looked amazing on the Marin, and I dig the colors. They did a great job. If the stack had been an inch higher, I probably would have bought it. They should spec these with 3" riser bars. Cool bike though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sixstringsteve View Post
    My local performance has these at 40
    % off today. $790 plus tax for a San Quentin 2. I almost pulled the trigger, but ultimately I prefer how my chameleon feels. For some reason it's super hard to get the San Quentin to manual. It could be a combination of higher BB, low stack, and a slightly longer chainstay. Still, it's a heck of a bike for the price.

A few things I noticed.

1. The stack is SUPER low. Too low for my tastes.
    2. The head angle is perfect
    3. The reach feels short to me. I ride a small 2018 chameleon with a 415mm reach, and it felt bigger than a medium San Quentin (440mm reach). Perhaps it's the head angle bringing the bars back, or the super short stem?

I brought my 27.5x3.0 wheel in to test for clearance, and it had PLENTY of clearance in the rear. 49mm I'd arc rim with a specialized 3.0. That's great news since these come alive with plus tires.

All in all, it's a heck of a bike. If I didn't love my chameleon so much, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. I prefer the slack head angle of the Marin, and the short chainstay of the chameleon. The welds and frame looked amazing on the Marin, and I dig the colors. They did a great job. If the stack had been an inch higher, I probably would have bought it. They should spec these with 3" riser bars. Cool bike though.
    For that price I probably would have come home with a new bike.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    It took a lot of willpower, but I made it out without buying anything.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I bought one on a whim cause i had been looking for a slack tail Mtn bike for awhile, But the four performance bicycle shops i went to none had the SQ2, Got myself the SQ1 for just a touch over 400$, Already have plans for additions, Bigger riser carbon rental bars, Maybe do the Suntour fork upgrade at a discount and get an Air fork, And a dropper post! and still stay under actual retail.... the small amount of riding I've done its been a blast!
    19 Marin San quentin 1
    01 Specialized Hemi Team Cruiser
    V-link pro carbon build up in the works!

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    Thays a steal!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thays a steal!
    Yeah, went to performance to buy the fiance a beach cruiser Which i got at also 50% off, And saw the SQ1 at 407$, Im basically 6 feet and the XL frame still feels small while riding hence the Dropper post and Riser bars on the upgrade list and the fork isn't great but I'm not a small guy lol, it will be a single track trail bike and an around town bike to help get into better shape! Around town first then after some additions i will take it to local trails! Only concerns is the QR rear axle really.. but i think i can convert to a through axle.. Still researching as theres no mention of rear dropout differences between the frames from 1-3...
    19 Marin San quentin 1

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    Unfortunately, I don't believe the San Quentin 1 can be converted to a 12mm thru axle rear. that's the main reason I was looking at a sq2. It's OK though, you still got a great bike at a great price.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Unfortunately, I don't believe the San Quentin 1 can be converted to a 12mm thru axle rear. that's the main reason I was looking at a sq2. It's OK though, you still got a great bike at a great price.
    Seen 10mm through axle conversions just to make the rear alittle more Solid, Did my first ride today in a long time, Found out my suspicions were correct, Needs a dropper seat post, higher bars, And the fork isn't great but at the price i paid I've got an amazing starting point! Will probably do the sun tour upgrade to the XCM34 LO R air, and the rest slowly! Still it's an amazing rig and if i end up going bigger as far as jumping i might consider finding a SQ2. for now I'm as happy as a pig in shit! lol
    19 Marin San quentin 1

mtbr member
    40mm rise bars should do the trick, I'm like 6' 2.5" and it feels pretty good now...I'd also recommend going to 140/150mm up front if you plan on swapping forks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeMartell View Post
    40mm rise bars should do the trick, I'm like 6' 2.5" and it feels pretty good now...I'd also recommend going to 140/150mm up front if you plan on swapping forks.
    yeah thats what I'm thinking, Im 6 foot but oddly shaped and mostly round! probably getting a Suntour AION and they offer up to 160mm, I've also seen new 2017 Pykes like what you did, but have seen mixed reviews on them,

Second edit, Went with an AION 160mm fork with 35mm sanctions, and the 40mm renthal carbon fat bars, Might trim them to narrower, depending on how they feel! Go Paypal CREDIT! lol thirty day return so if i hate the fork ill find another route!

Already ordered an FSA 100mm dropper, so my build might be done! for now...
    19 Marin San quentin 1

mtbr member
    I have heard the middle-high end suntour stuff is actually really good...interested to see how you like it. The 2019 rockshox stuff is unreal with the new airspring...the pike I have on the San Q and Lyrik on my FS are the closest an air fork has ever felt to coil sensitivity, but they definitely aren't cheap...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have heard the middle-high end suntour stuff is actually really good...interested to see how you like it. The 2019 rockshox stuff is unreal with the new airspring...the pike I have on the San Q and Lyrik on my FS are the closest an air fork has ever felt to coil sensitivity, but they definitely aren't cheap...
    yeah the AION isn't cheap at retail, but eBay had a steal... non mounted 2018 35mm sanctioned 160mm travel forks for 309$ uncut steerer tube... they also had 2017 Pyke RC3T for about a 100 more, but the reviews on the Pike made me think it's not worth it so far. i posted in suspension and the two most trusted comments were go with the AION, if I'm going to send more id go with marzocchi/RS/FOX..

now to have these show up and install/review! RUT ROH!!!! lol
    19 Marin San quentin 1

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thinking about changing up the cranks, going with 165mm race face atlas In blue of course lol, anybody know if its a straight swap or do i need to get a BB too...?
    19 Marin San quentin 1

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Marin San Quentin

The @dubsack85 any report on how the bike handle with Suntor AOIN 160mm fork?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    When I get a chance I'll try to throw a wheelset with 2.8s in the bike. The frame seems to have a ton of clearance so they may fit. You'd probably have to switch to a 27.5+/29 fork though...
    Just curious, did you ever have a chance to try 2.8s??

mtbr member
    sorry totally forgot about this thread haha...yeah the bike clears Schwalbe 2.8s with plenty of room...and the fork actually comfortably fits them also despite not being a plus fork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    sorry totally forgot about this thread haha...yeah the bike clears Schwalbe 2.8s with plenty of room...and the fork actually comfortably fits them also despite not being a plus fork.
    That's sweet! May have just sealed the deal for me

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettG View Post
    Yeah I figured it was because of sponsorship but still disappointing that the bike he raves about in his videos is not really the same bike the rest of us would be getting.
    I agree with this one. Perhaps we should request Matt Jones to test the bike out of the box and ride it as a normal rider like us. No high circus jumps..etc.. just pure normal trail riding before he upgrades the bike.

just ride
    Oct 2006
    Anyone know how much the frame weighs on these SQ 2 or 3 models in size small or medium?

I'm torn between the SQ and the Chameleon. The Chameleon would be cheaper for me since I only need the frame but I like the 65* HA on the SQ... Unless this frame is 6+ lbs, I'm not buying the SQ. Chameleon is only 5.3 lbs in Medium.

just ride
    Oct 2006
    Received an update from Marin. San Quentin 2 & San Quentin 3 in medium, weighs in at exactly 5.0 lbs.

I'll put it here in case someone try to search it in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Tjay View Post
    Anyone know how much the frame weighs on these SQ 2 or 3 models in size small or medium?

I'm torn between the SQ and the Chameleon. The Chameleon would be cheaper for me since I only need the frame but I like the 65* HA on the SQ... Unless this frame is 6+ lbs, I'm not buying the SQ. Chameleon is only 5.3 lbs in Medium.

just ride
    Oct 2006

Cool-blue Rhythm Picked up the SQ2 yesterday!

Marin San Quentin-stumpy-sq2.jpg

$1307 OTD for this model at a local shop in Palo Alto, Ca.

The bike weighs in at 29.3 lbs with reflectors and toy pedals. I replaced some parts since I already have these laying around:

2019 Pike Fork 150mm
    XT Brakes
    XT icetech rotors (180/160)
    Specialized XC grips
    Spur bell (raw steel color)
    Bottle cage (raw steel color)
    35mm KORE stem
    Butcher 2.6
    Purgatory 2.6
    Then I converted it to tubeless

The bike now weighs in at 28.7 lbs. I wasn't really going to less weight, it was just a bonus that I was able to shave some. Riding the bike later today and tomorrow after I install my #pnwbachelor dropper post.

mtbr member
    nice, enjoy the new ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Wanted to post up my new San Quenten 2, just got her last week. Decided on the SQ2 because I wanted to use a slightly different parts spec than the SQ3. Minus the fork this build worked out much better. Not super happy with the Recon...but I will swap that out soon.

San Quenten 2 - Medium
    GX Derailleur - XO1 Shifter
    PNW Rainier Dropper post - 150mm
    Magura MT5/MT4 brakes
    Answer 35mm AME stem
    Answer Protaper Carbon 750 bars
    Maxxis EXO+ Recon 2.8s

This bike rips!

Marin San Quentin-img_20190423_182202_3.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fitz-roy View Post
    Wanted to post up my new San Quenten 2, just got her last week. Decided on the SQ2 because I wanted to use a slightly different parts spec than the SQ3. Minus the fork this build worked out much better. Not super happy with the Recon...but I will swap that out soon.

San Quenten 2 - Medium
    GX Derailleur - XO1 Shifter
    PNW Rainier Dropper post - 150mm
    Magura MT5/MT4 brakes
    Answer 35mm AME stem
    Answer Protaper Carbon 750 bars
    Maxxis EXO+ Recon 2.8s

This bike rips!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190423_182202_3.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	485.5 KB 
ID:	1249255
    Looking good.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

just ride
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fitz-roy View Post

Maxxis EXO+ Recon 2.8s

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190423_182202_3.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	485.5 KB 
ID:	1249255
    How is the Rekons with those 29mm internal width tires? I'm also still rocking the stock wheelset but with 2.6 Butcher/Purgatory tires and my squirms and burps on fast flow trails. If I put the same exact tires on a much wider rims at the same exact psi, the tire doesn't squirm at all. Just wondering, what psi do you run those and what is your riding weight if you don't mind sharing?

I have Onyx/Sentry wheelset that should be here next week and I'm hoping that the 32mm internal width would be fine with the DHF/Rekon 2.8's.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Here are some 2.6 Rekon + on some Spank 35mm rear wheel setup tubeless with no core. Was running 14-20 psi on a recent trip to spider mountain. I found any below 16 psi to be squish on hard pack but safe to ride. I end burping around 12-13 psi on a hard test run to start the day.

Love the tire; pull hard on high speed braking decent but in fairness I was at a bike park. On the local Central trail it should hold up great all the rock gardens.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjay View Post
    How is the Rekons with those 29mm internal width tires? I'm also still rocking the stock wheelset but with 2.6 Butcher/Purgatory tires and my squirms and burps on fast flow trails. If I put the same exact tires on a much wider rims at the same exact psi, the tire doesn't squirm at all. Just wondering, what psi do you run those and what is your riding weight if you don't mind sharing?

I have Onyx/Sentry wheelset that should be here next week and I'm hoping that the 32mm internal width would be fine with the DHF/Rekon 2.8's.
    I don't have a whole lot of time on them but rode a bike park with 22R/19F and they worked great with no burping. I set them up tubeless with Specialized 31mm rim strips. On the trail I will drop the pressure to 19R/18F for a little more squish. Also running a Huck Norris.

The 29mm ID rims were fine. The tire profile is a little more round than I would like. A 35mm ID would be perfect with these 2.8s.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I may have when crazy with this upgrade! I knew I was going change the fork on the bike and I found a DVO diamond local.

It set at 160mm at the moment up i truly think 150 mm will be the sweet spot on this frame.

This weekend should be fun planing on trail run on a new local trail with a bunch of jumps and wood features. Saturday I got buddy try to sucker me in to Spider mountain here in TX.

Marin San Quentin-img_2057.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Nice. I just got mine. I just put Raceface Chesters, ODI Troy Lee Grips, and SLX brakes. For the next stage, I am going with a dropper(debating on KS or Fox) and a Pike Select 150.

just ride
    Oct 2006

Update on my SQ2 after 1 month of ownership

Put in 266 miles on my Marin and everything is pretty much upgraded except for the frame (which will be replaced eventually with steel frame).

Here are the mods:
    Nukeproof Horizon Carbon Bar (38mm rise)
    Spur Cycle Bell (raw)
    XT Brakes
    Wolftooth lever I-Spec II
    XX1 11 speed shifter
    Specialized Contour XC Grips
    KORE 35mm stem
    Pike 130mm +46 offset
    PNW Bachelor Dropper 150mm
    Wolftooth Seat Collar
    Steel bottle cage (raw)
    Sram Dub BB
    Truvativ Descendant Carbon 170/32T cranket
    XX1 11 speed cassette
    XX1 11 speed RD
    XT Ice Tech Rotors 160/180
    Baron rims/1.8 spokes/2x Lacing/i9 Hydras (silver)
    Rocket Ron 2.8 Rear with Vittoria Airliner inserts (medium)
    Butcher 2.8 front (no insert)

Bike weighs in at 27.54 lbs.

The frame is stiff! I thought I can make the bike compliant with a better wheelset (more vertical compliance), big volume tires and tire inserts running low psi (12 F/R) but nope that didn't help. My cheap 45650b steel frame on 2.25 size tires is more vertically compliant than this frame. This is why I will switch back to steel. Just not sure which frame to get. I have about 20 steel frame on my spreadsheet and I think I'm going to settle for the GG PedalHead but we'll see.

Marin San Quentin-msq2.1.jpg
    Last edited by Tjay; 06-06-2019 at 10:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Yeah I agree it is stiff and takes some time to get used to. I decided to go with a Marzocchi's Bomber Z2 instead of a Pike at 140mm. I am just waiting for the Z2s to come back in stock The techs at my shop run Marzocchi's Bomber Z1 at 150mm and they love it. They are more enduro riders so they told me to run 140. I am also going to go with an aluminum vs carbon bar just to avoid the stiffness of carbon. The SLX brakes made a big difference as the stock brakes are horrible.