Marin/Naild thru axle system- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 28 of 28
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    26

    Marin/Naild thru axle system

    Anyone have experience out there with the Naild thru axle system Marin is using? I initially thought I was pretty excited about it but the rear thru axle doesn't seem to tighten sufficiently anymore, giving me play (and quite a lot of creak) in the rear wheel. Or at least I think it's the thru axle. I can move the rear wheel around fairly easily in the dropout so I can't think of what else it would be.

    I've adjusted the pre-tension adjuster to as firm as I can but it doesn't seem to help. Or else it's loosening quite quickly. Anyone with more experience know how to service these things or had similar problems?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RobertAxle142's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    167
    Yes. We've certainly had a number of inquiries looking for us to create a replacement standard threaded axle for the NAILD system. You are not alone with these issues, thats for sure.

    It's a real also a real bummer to hear from fellow cyclist that bought a cool Marin bike, like the Pine Mtn series bikes, only later do they find out that it doesn't fit their lifestyle. Many riders are looking to share their passion for cycling with their kids by attaching a Burley or Chariot trailer. Or help support their local trails by doing trail work with BOB trailers. Or put the bike on a resistance trainer. None of which is possible because of the NAILD system. With some feedback from their customers, perhaps Marin will return to standard threaded thru-axles.

    We'd be interested to see if other's are are interested in alternatives to NAILd. We been considering it creating a solution.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertAxle142 View Post
    Yes. We've certainly had a number of inquiries looking for us to create a replacement standard threaded axle for the NAILD system. You are not alone with these issues, thats for sure.

    It's a real also a real bummer to hear from fellow cyclist that bought a cool Marin bike, like the Pine Mtn series bikes, only later do they find out that it doesn't fit their lifestyle. Many riders are looking to share their passion for cycling with their kids by attaching a Burley or Chariot trailer. Or help support their local trails by doing trail work with BOB trailers. Or put the bike on a resistance trainer. None of which is possible because of the NAILD system. With some feedback from their customers, perhaps Marin will return to standard threaded thru-axles.

    We'd be interested to see if other's are are interested in alternatives to NAILd. We been considering it creating a solution.
    Oh man, didn't even think of the BOB problem vis a vis the Naild system. An Ibex trailer had been on my list of purchases for this year. That's pretty bitterly disappointing.

    I suppose it's too easy to hope you can just pop a threaded thru axle in, huh? Your comment makes it clear it's not.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Skeeno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    254
    What models and years are these axles on? My Pine Mountain 1 has standard QR9 axles.

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeno View Post
    What models and years are these axles on? My Pine Mountain 1 has standard QR9 axles.

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    It's the higher end models I think. In my case I have a 2016 Four Corners Elite, which is part of what makes the BOB trailer thing so annoying--the Four Corners is sold as their "utilitour" line but you can't haul a trailer.
    The 2017 Pine Mountain 2 has Naild thru axles.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Skeeno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    254
    I kinda wanted a four corners because it matched my PM1, but dang, they want way more than I think I think it should cost. Pretty bike, though.

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeno View Post
    I kinda wanted a four corners because it matched my PM1, but dang, they want way more than I think I think it should cost. Pretty bike, though.

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I love my Four Corners Elite but I picked it up for almost $1000 off list--1400 on clearance.

    My fiance bought a 2017 Specialized Sequoia Elite which if you're paying list price is the way to go, IMO. Carbon fork, proper thru axles, etc.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RobertAxle142's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    167
    Just a follow up post to this thread.

    We now have complete solutions for the Marin bikes that come with NAILD axles. So now you can have a great Marin bike with standard threaded thru-axles. Our solution removes the proprietary NAILD nut and allows use of our standard threaded axles in all of our applications. We also offer BOB trailer axle solutions, Kid trailer axles, and resistance trainer axles.

    Replacement Lightning Bolt-on Axles
    Kid Trailer Thru Axle
    BOB Trailer Thru Axle
    Resistance Trainer Axle

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    72
    I just bought a PM2 and have had no issues with the Naild axel so far, but am relieved to know there is a replacement available. If I run into any issues at all, expect my order.
    I enjoy the occasional bicycle ride.

  10. #10
    PMC
    PMC is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertAxle142 View Post
    Just a follow up post to this thread.

    We now have complete solutions for the Marin bikes that come with NAILD axles. So now you can have a great Marin bike with standard threaded thru-axles. Our solution removes the proprietary NAILD nut and allows use of our standard threaded axles in all of our applications. We also offer BOB trailer axle solutions, Kid trailer axles, and resistance trainer axles.

    Replacement Lightning Bolt-on Axles
    Kid Trailer Thru Axle
    BOB Trailer Thru Axle
    Resistance Trainer Axle
    from the links it looks like you have a Boost width axle but I don't see anything for a standard 142mm rear or 100mm front Naild axles. Are those sizes also available?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RobertAxle142's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    167
    The most common requests we've had are for the mtn bike applications. But certainly those sizes offered on their CX/AX bikes are something we will look at. At this time, it's BOOST only.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    25
    Hi there, do you know if I can use a Croozer trailer ok with the non-standard 141x9mm axle standard used on the 2017 Pine Mountain 1? It's not using the Naild standard, but is also not common / standard.

    https://www.marinbikes.com/bike-arch...ine-mountain-1

    thanks

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertAxle142 View Post
    The most common requests we've had are for the mtn bike applications. But certainly those sizes offered on their CX/AX bikes are something we will look at. At this time, it's BOOST only.
    You can add me to the list of anxious buyers - Marin's generous warranty repair/replace is ongoing bc my front axle was damaged from transporting on a vehicle. I was told by Marin to please avoid using my roof rack with this bike - SMH i didnt know it was going to be such a touchy system when i bought it. Any helpful thoughts here would be appreciated.

    I am very excited to receive my 12x142 kid trailer Naild axle replacement from you - thanks for making this option available for us!

    I'm hoping that a 15x100mm Naild replacement front axle is in the works @RobertAxle14 - do you think with enough sweet talking, beer, insert-bribe-here, you would consider this undertaking so that we can be free of this Naild system?

    Thanks in advance,
    TT

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by barttang View Post
    You can add me to the list of anxious buyers - Marin's generous warranty repair/replace is ongoing bc my front axle was damaged from transporting on a vehicle. I was told by Marin to please avoid using my roof rack with this bike - SMH i didnt know it was going to be such a touchy system when i bought it. Any helpful thoughts here would be appreciated.

    I am very excited to receive my 12x142 kid trailer Naild axle replacement from you - thanks for making this option available for us!

    I'm hoping that a 15x100mm Naild replacement front axle is in the works @RobertAxle14 - do you think with enough sweet talking, beer, insert-bribe-here, you would consider this undertaking so that we can be free of this Naild system?

    Thanks in advance,
    TT
    I'm so so glad to hear there's a 142 option, I was about ready to have my dropouts chopped off and new dropouts welded on.. Fingers crossed we can get a 15x100mm too.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1
    I was having the same issue. It was resolved by turning the thru axle bolt completely before tightening it down. As seen in the video here. I felt dumb when that's all it was. 12-3-9 — Naild
    Last edited by isometimesrun; 01-22-2018 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Stupid autocorrect

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Steel Calf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,849
    The Nalid thru axle system is utter shit. I hope Marin stops this madness soon and specs a normal axle that actually works

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    307
    Just put one of these on my bike... https://robertaxleproject.com/shop/l...m-naild-bikes/

    Works like a charm!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    The Nalid thru axle system is utter shit. I hope Marin stops this madness soon and specs a normal axle that actually works
    Following up on this, my Naild system got totally stuck (not seized, stuck) and required some pretty heavy lifting by my local shop. Couple hundred bucks to get a f*cking thru axle out.

    Robert Axle project axles on way.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Steel Calf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,849
    Quote Originally Posted by tekhna View Post
    Following up on this, my Naild system got totally stuck (not seized, stuck) and required some pretty heavy lifting by my local shop. Couple hundred bucks to get a f*cking thru axle out.

    Robert Axle project axles on way.
    several hundred bucks? Sounds like as if you got screwed twice by now!

    I just retrofitted a 2016 Marin Four Corners with new Nalid axles and gained some insight what the actual culprit for my issue was:



    take a good look and you'll understand why the upper one cannot work - the bulge is on the wrong side *facepalm*

    My rear axle was stuck too but I just removed the dropout from the frame and the whole axle+dropout assembly could easily be removed (~5 min work = 500$ if done by your mechanic?)

    On a side note, that genius company Marin Germany sent me a boost front axle for a non boost bike (I should've told them what axles they spec on their own bikes)



    that's why I had to take the whole thing apart in the first place and found the "wrong bulge"
    I thus remarried the shorter original axle with the working lever/quick release of the boost axle and got a working front axle now.

    Nalid is the greatest shit I've ever come across!!

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    several hundred bucks? Sounds like as if you got screwed twice by now!

    I just retrofitted a 2016 Marin Four Corners with new Nalid axles and gained some insight what the actual culprit for my issue was:



    take a good look and you'll understand why the upper one cannot work - the bulge is on the wrong side *facepalm*

    My rear axle was stuck too but I just removed the dropout from the frame and the whole axle+dropout assembly could easily be removed (~5 min work = 500$ if done by your mechanic?)

    On a side note, that genius company Marin Germany sent me a boost front axle for a non boost bike (I should've told them what axles they spec on their own bikes)



    that's why I had to take the whole thing apart in the first place and found the "wrong bulge"
    I thus remarried the shorter original axle with the working lever/quick release of the boost axle and got a working front axle now.

    Nalid is the greatest shit I've ever come across!!
    Not gonna apologize for choosing to patronize a shop that pays their mechanics a living wage, and charges accordingly!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    6
    Forgive me as I am new to the sport! I just picked up a 2018 Hawk Hill and would like to switch to this rear axle over the stock QR axle. Can I just buy this and swap it or is the stock rear hub not compatible?

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    103
    For anyone that finds this through searching I had a similar issue on my Polygon Squareone and the Robert Axle Project change was painless and solved it.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Skeeno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    254
    I actually like the Naild system, but I just got my bike, so I haven't had it long enough to truely evaluate it. I just installed the trainer axle on my Marin Cortina, and it was pretty easy. It took about 5-10 minutes. Only question I have is for the large plastic washer. I couldn't figure out where that was supposed to go.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RobertAxle142's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    167
    Hey Skeeno,

    There is a theme amongst our customers that are replacing NAILD axles. First are those that have had their NAILD axles fail them at a really bad time, like right before or during a bike vacation. You can't simply walk into a bike shop in BFE and get a replacement. Second are those, such as yourself that are seeking compatibility for their great bikes with their lifestyles...hauling trailers or putting them on trainers, etc.

    Regarding your specific question about the installation of our Trainer axle, you do not need the washer at all for your application.

    Cheers,
    Chris

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    103
    Chris,
    Quick question for you....right after a short backstory.
    When my naild axle was failing me I was getting ghost shifting.
    Replaced with your axle and everything is much better. But occasionally I still get a ghost attempt at shifting.
    All I can track it down to is the naild thin gold nut wants to loosen up letting the rear shift just a little on hard technical climbs.

    I just took it back off and threadlocked that nut to your hanger/axle adapter but it'd be nice if I could get a socket on it instead of wrench flats.....which are a pain because the frame curves there making it really hard to tighten with the wrench.

    What inside thread pitch is that nut?
    I can go source a nut that'll let me use a socket but if you have a suggestion that'd be great also.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RobertAxle142's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    167
    Yeah that gold ring is a super odd-ball size. M17x1.0. Which pretty much does not exist in the rear world a hex nut, I don't think. I'd say the Loctite is probably a good solution. A hex nut would be the best solution, if they were available. Anyone else having this issue? First I've heard of this ring coming loose. Hbar, are use reinstalling the black plastic nuts that came with the Naild system? Just wondering aloud if without those it is allowing the ring to work itself loose more easily?

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertAxle142 View Post
    Yeah that gold ring is a super odd-ball size. M17x1.0. Which pretty much does not exist in the rear world a hex nut, I don't think. I'd say the Loctite is probably a good solution. A hex nut would be the best solution, if they were available. Anyone else having this issue? First I've heard of this ring coming loose. Hbar, are use reinstalling the black plastic nuts that came with the Naild system? Just wondering aloud if without those it is allowing the ring to work itself loose more easily?
    I had the black plastic nuts on them after installing your axle but I'm going to leave them off now so I can keep an eye on the nut.
    That black ring would feel loose on the trail but since its threaded to the outside of the gold ring its then hard to tell if its just loose on the gold ring or the gold ring itself is loose.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    27
    I just picked up a used Marin Four Corners which the PO had tried to make his own replacement axles (unsuccessfully). I ordered the Robert Axle replacements which are beautifully made however, I do not have the original gold (ring) nuts.

    These are NOT M17x1.0 as reported earlier. Based on the dimensions of the parts from RAP, I suspect the required nuts are 11/16-24. These are available in a SS hex panel nut from Grainger, Zoro and McMaster Carr - $17-28 each 😮
    Last edited by MicroDrive; 1 Week Ago at 04:14 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 40
    Last Post: 12-18-2017, 06:32 PM
  2. Need help. 9mm thru axle to a 15mm thru axle.
    By specialized11 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-05-2013, 03:33 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-19-2012, 04:52 PM
  4. Maxle vs DT Swiss thru-bolt or thru-axle?
    By fire_strom in forum Niner Bikes
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-11-2011, 09:31 AM
  5. 9mm Open QR or QR15 Thru axle system?
    By KanzaKrūzer in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-08-2011, 07:19 AM

Members who have read this thread: 29

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.