Help I can't decide between Mount Vision XM8 and RIFT ZONE XC8- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Help I can't decide between Mount Vision XM8 and RIFT ZONE XC8

I've finally come to terms that my old bike is turning into a money pit now that I'm looking to replace the fork and maybe derailleur and need to pick up a new bike.

I'm looking at 2013 Marin's and have it narrowed down to the MV XM8 or RZ XC8.
    Both seem like they have similar components the MV comes with a dropper and the RZ is 29. I've never really cared too much about the 26 vs 29 vs 27.5 but I'm looking for the most versatile bike.
    I ride a lot of cross country but also looking for something that has the most travel in the event I do some more aggressive riding.

I'm leaning towards the XM8 since I have plenty of 26" tires and the dropper post but maybe I'm crazy not to go 29"

There are a couple of Marin dealers around me but none have any full suspension bikes that I can test to see how I like it.

I ride bikes
    I went with the XM7 and have spent a little in upgrades because I wanted the Revelation fork over the 2013 fox. And The SLX stuff is just as good as XT IMO. I have already put about 2 hundred miles on mine and it is fantastic. Extremely well balanced. Quad Link 3.0 is one of the best rear suspension designs out there. Marin has been using and perfecting their multi link design for as long as anyone else, and it shows.
    The XM8 is a great value though.

2013 Marin Mount Vision XM8 17 5" Full Suspension MTB Bike 26" Shimano XT New | eBay

I also have a 29er and can say that there are some great advantages with the big wheels. If you are going to be doing some xc racing, I would go with the XC7 or XC8. It reviews well.
    Marin Rift Zone XC 29er | Bicycling Magazine

My advice would be get the Mount Vision if you want a fun, do it all, bike. Get the RZ if you are worried about being fastest on an xc course.

I ride bikes
    She isn't stock anymore. Great bike.

Help I can't decide between Mount Vision XM8 and RIFT ZONE XC8-20140428_163616_resized.jpg

mtbr member
    Thanks I guess it comes down to 26 vs 29 at this point. Looks like the XC's have less travel since they are listed at 100mm (Which makes sense)and the XM's are listed at 140mm.
    I want something that is a little forgiving because I'm not as young as I use to be which is steering me towards the XC.
    It's a hard decision since they both seem like great bikes.

I ride bikes
    I would think that the 140mm XM travel would be much more forgiving than the 100mm travel XC bikes.

mtbr member
    Everything review I've read claims the XC is a little smoother I would attribute that to 29 in tires.
    Marin isn't making it easy with 2 great bikes

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help I am now the proud owner of the XM8 off of eBay. I was hoping to pay a little less but I've been looking at it long enough and I know there is a limited supply.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Congrats. The 2012 and 2013 Marins that have been dumped on ebay over the past year are a crazy good deal. You basically are getting a bike you could break down and sell for parts for more than you paid.

I've owned my 2012 XM8 for about a year, but have only been able to ride it this season. So far I really like it. I randomly ended up with a euro spec 2x10 which I prefer - but would like the shimano shifter configuration slightly better. So far the only upgrades have been to add a KS i900 remote dropper post (which thanks to the cable guides looks completely stock) and converted to tubeless. On order are Ergon GX1 grips, a WTB Pure V saddle for my wide butt, and a standard seatpost collar.

I still haven't gotten out on serious trails yet, but hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

I ride bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by NoVA_JB View Post
    Thanks for the help I am now the proud owner of the XM8 off of eBay. I was hoping to pay a little less but I've been looking at it long enough and I know there is a limited supply.
    Congrats man. The flat black with blue looks fantastic. The finish looks amazing in person.

mtbr member
    Thanks I can't say the looks didn't play into the decision but I really liked the fact it came with the dropper seat and I'm still not 100% sold on 29" if they had a 27.5 in that price range I would still be struggling. I can't wait to get it!

mtbr member
    I bought a 2013 XC8 29 in the box. Great bike! Like you, I struggled between the XC8 and XM8.