Hawk Hill 2 -Thoughts?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Hawk Hill 2 -Thoughts?

Looking for a FS bike for my 15 year old daughter.

The Marin Hawk Hill 2 seems to fit the fill really well.

$2000. 1x11. Rock Shox. Dropper Post. Modern Geo. Wide rims with the ability to convert to tubeless. Wide bars with short stem.

Seems like a really good buy and it also seems everyone has plenty great to say about it. Want daughter to have a nice and comfy trail bike to get stronger on.....

Any real world users out there who can share some thoughts with me? Also looking at Giant Liv and Specialized 27.5 camber (hold over).

I'd appreciate any thoughts....
    Maah Daah Hey

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I have a Rift Zone, the 29er version. It's got 150-200 miles on it. Very happy with it.

The wide bars are new to me and kind of insane. I actually like the extra width, but I think I need to trim em down to 760 or maybe 740, but I don't downhill, I am more concerned with close in trails and gates.

Everything is still working as it should.

mtbr member
    thx twice horn. which build do you have? The Rift zone 2?

My local shop seems really solid, great people and they are the ones who turned me on to the Hawk Hill. Once I started to look at it harder, really seems like a great value for an entry level FS bike. I'm doubting my daughter will stress the components, but you never know.
    Maah Daah Hey

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Yes, sorry, 2, so same essential kit as the HH2.

I do have a click, but I am almost certain it is a pedal, so no big deal. Other than that, it is creak free and does what it is supposed to whenever I do and sometimes when I don't.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I love my HH1. I debated on buying the HH2 but three things got me: 1) I just didn't think I could live with the color (2018 green), 2) The best price I could get on them locally was $600 apart, and 3) I liked the Shimano drivetrain even though it is 1x10 vs 1x11.

1) I was afraid I would tire of the bright green color. Just not me.
    2) For the $600 I saved, I installed a better (IMO) Dropper than the TransX that comes with the 2 (KS Lev Si), tweaked a few other things to my preference (Grips, Pedals, Saddle) and put about $200 in my pocket. Actually, I'd have probably done the touchpoints on the 2 as well so that doesn't really count - so really over $300 in my pocket...
    3) Again my preference. I've owned both SRAM and Shimano drivetrains and have had no real issues with either. I'm just used to and prefer the Shimano Shifters.

Either way Marin makes an incredible bike for the $. The 2 does have a bit better front and rear shock than the 1. You're daughter will be delighted with it - awesome bikes.

By the way I did test ride a Camber 29 a few times - nice bike but just felt too big for me. I didn't try a 27.5 Camber. I also tested a Giant Stance 1 and Trance 3 - both great bikes. They all felt and handled different - not better or worse - they just acted differently. I'm sure I could have got along with any of them with the type of terrain and conditions that I ride but the Hawk Hill was the one that just grabbed hold of me and made me take it home...

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I recently picked up the HH1 and I love it! For the money, I dont think you will get a better bike! This bike was designed for me because no matter what I buy, I am an upgrade freak. This bike is the perfect platform to upgrade components as you ride and create an even more amazing bike. I can't recommend the HH enough!