Hawk Hill 1: Dropper Post Upgrade- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2018

Hawk Hill 1: Dropper Post Upgrade

Has anyone added a Dropper Seatpost to their HH1? I'm planning to add one but I'd like to know which ones are most compatible.

I purchased an X-Fusion Manic and it seems to be a decent post. However, it is very long overall for a 125mm post. It seems that the housing is way too long for the max insertion depth of my medium frame.

In other words, the farthest I can insert any seatpost in my frame is 200-210mm. It doesn't really bottom out but it will not go any further. The X-Fusion base is 285mm so I cannot get the seat low enough when fully extended. It's not even close - over 60mm too high.

So I clearly need a post with a shorter base and I may need to go to a 100mm dropper. I basically need to slam the collar of the seatpost down to within 10mm of the frame QR collar for a 125mm post to work. I need to end up with 180mm from the frame QR collar to the seat rails at full extension.

The HH2 uses a Tranzx 120mm post which as I understand is available as a BrandX 120mm post from Chain Reaction. I've test ridden the HH2 and was able to set it up properly so it should work for me.

I think I basically need for the max insertion (base length) of a 125mm post to be less than 230mm and the max insertion (base length) of a 100mm post to be less than about 250mm in order to work with my frame.

Anyone? What post have you installed and how is it working for you?

mtbr member
    Might depend on what size frame you have as far as being able to insert it all the way in. I have a large and using Kind eTen dropper which inserts all the way to the seat tube clamp. Perfect low and high position.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    The Medium frame that I have seems to pinch the post pretty tightly at about 200-210mm insertion. That seems to be right at the welds for the rear pivot bracket. I'm not sure that this is typical or not but I tried a couple of different static 30.9mm posts as well as the XFusion and they all stop there.

Which KS eTen are you using? 125mm, 100mm, other ? I know that they come in a few different total lengths as well as drop size.

Right now, it seems that I need to get a post that is less than about 385mm total length and less than 210mm max insertion. Just looking around I've seen a few 125mm and a few more 100mm posts that will likely work. I guess I need to do some more research - it's a shame that all of the mfr's don't provide their dimensioned mechanical drawings. That would make it far easier to figure out...

mtbr member
    When I was first looking at the HH I checked the seat post insertion on both the large and medium frames since I'm at the top of the medium and bottom of the large frame sizes for my height and there was a difference of an inch or two as I recall..

You might consider a smaller diameter dropper then shim to 30.9 if all else fails..

I think mines the 100mm travel. I had it prior to buying the bike but I can check the other mention later...
    Quote Originally Posted by dbf909 View Post
    The Medium frame that I have seems to pinch the post pretty tightly at about 200-210mm insertion. That seems to be right at the welds for the rear pivot bracket. I'm not sure that this is typical or not but I tried a couple of different static 30.9mm posts as well as the XFusion and they all stop there.

Which KS eTen are you using? 125mm, 100mm, other ? I know that they come in a few different total lengths as well as drop size.

Right now, it seems that I need to get a post that is less than about 385mm total length and less than 210mm max insertion. Just looking around I've seen a few 125mm and a few more 100mm posts that will likely work. I guess I need to do some more research - it's a shame that all of the mfr's don't provide their dimensioned mechanical drawings. That would make it far easier to figure out...

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I did a bit more research and got hold of a dimensioned drawing for the KS Lev Si series. There is a link to it on the Jenson web site. It appears from the drawing that this post (125mm) will fit in my frame and provide the correct max height when extended. The 100mm version will definitely work but I should have about 20-25mm of margin with the 125mm version - assuming of course that the actual device is the same as the drawing...

I should have it early next week - I'll definitely report back when I get a chance to check it out.

mtbr member
    The HH has the ports for internal cable routing if you went that route. I just bought mine prior to buying the bike so mines external but next time...

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Yep, the KS Lev Si is internal. I plan to go that way.

It should be interesting to see how easy it is to get the housing in and out of the corresponding ports on the downtube considering there is no access without removing either the headset or BB... Actually "In" should be easy, "Out" more difficult unless there is some sort of internal guide to the port.

Maybe some sort of hook tool that I can reach in and grab the housing with like a Dental Pick.

mtbr member
    Bet it's not that hard to do.. a magnet might help fish the cable out

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Yeah it shouldn't be too difficult. The housing is pretty stiff, I bet I can twist it around until it shows up at the exit. Or, like you say, use a strong magnet to guide a cable through and then slide the housing around it.

I saw a video of a guy using a vacuum cleaner to suck a thread or small string through to create a jet line to pull with - pretty creative. Maybe worth a try if all else fails.

mtbr member
    Sounds like MacGyver's at work..

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Ok, I got the KS Lev Si 125mm Dropper Seatpost installed this evening. Took about an hour - I could have done it faster but I took my time.

The 125mm post is max 390mm and fit fine. No issues whatsoever. I can actually insert it all the way to the collar but the correct height for me is about 15mm up. This gives right at 190mm from the top of the seat tube to the center of the seat rails when fully extended.

The install went very easy. I had the cable housing routed through the downtube in less than 10 seconds - I worked it through a bit and it just popped out of the port no problem. In fact the most difficult (and time consuming) part of the whole job was installing the new grommets back in the frame around the cable housing. I ordered the proper grommets direct from Marin so I know they are correct but they were tough to get in the frame with the cable there. I finally worked them in and they look great.

The post functions great - nice and smooth both up and down. I also went ahead and sprang for the KS Southpaw lever. All in all I'm in it for just under $300. My budget was originally $200 but the X-Fusion Manic just didn't work for me. I think that the KS is easily as good if not a better post than the X-Fusion anyway.

Finally I went ahead and mounted a WTB Rocket Race saddle that I've had sitting around for a while. I've never had this saddle on a bike so we'll see how it works out.