Hawk Hill 1 downhill/enduro upgrades- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2019

Hawk Hill 1 downhill/enduro upgrades

Has anyone upgraded their Hawk Hill into more of an enduro platform? Iíve done quite a bit of downhill trail riding with mine lately and the only limitations that have shown themselves is the weak rear brake (on the HH1) and the front fork not eating the smaller bumps which ends up tiring out your arms and hands. I was unable to bottom out the rear and I really didnít feel like 120MM wasnít enough travelÖ that surprised me.

Iím upgrading the rear brake to the Shimano M8020 4-piston, thatís already on order. Iím going to leave the front stock for now.

Iíve heard you can run a 140mm front fork on theseÖ had anyone upgraded to one? Stock is the 130mm Recon. Looks like the RS Pike or the Fox is the way to go.

Wheels will need to be upgraded, the HH1 comes with QR rear axle which needs to be swapped to bolt thru. Iíve been looking at the Crankbrothers cobalt wheel.

In the future I was debating getting a real downhill bike to go along side my HH1, but now you can get 170MM enduro bikes that will do bothÖ If I get a 170MM enduro I probably wouldnít ride my Hawk Hill because Iíd just use the 170 for everything and at that point upgrading the HH now is pointless. Tough choice.

mtbr member
    If downhill is your thing, id probably recommend swapping over to the Alpine Trail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018

Hawk Hill 1 downhill/enduro upgrades

Hey, so I did some similar upgrades to my Rift Zone 2 to make it a little more burly and enduro-ish. I love it but if you think you want an enduro/ downhill bike just go right to the Attack Trail and be done. It will ride everything the Hawk Hill will and more.

Here are the upgrades I did to my Rift Zone that really brought it alive from stock.

Pike Ultimate 140mm fork. Some extra travel upfront with more in-depth setup / fine tuning. Also slackened it out for better control while descending.

SRAM Guide RSC brakes front and rear with 180mm rotors. 4 piston over the stock 2 piston along with bigger rotors just gave it a lot more bite and stopping power over all. The levers also felt better to me for both modulation and finger position. This was probably the most confidence Inspiring upgrade I did just knowing I could brake at anytime and really control my speed.

Also I went with the full Eagle drivetrain upgrade to help with climbing but the fork and brakes to me were the more noticeable overall for handling and control.

Still want to play with the rear shock to help compliment the fork and being the back end under control. In the meantime I have some volume tokens to play with.

But like skeeno said, Iím kind of wishing I had went with the Attack Trail for more travel and enduro/ bike park riding. But the rift Zone with my upgrades covers 70% of the trails I ride without issue. Such a capable bike that punches above its weight class.

And the Hawk Hill is more or less the same but on the 27.5 wheels. So itís right there in terms of what you can do.

And if you donít agree, check out Mark Matthews on IG and YouTube to see him shred his Hawk Hill.

YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Scuba.Steve; 08-20-2019 at 05:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Thanks man. I did upgrade to 4 piston rear brakes and that made a big difference but I need the bigger rotor aswell. Iíve done alot more riding since the initial post and I can tell the fork and the hubs are the next upgrades im doing. My hands are sore after riding, the stock recon doesnt soak up any of the smaller bumps, does great on the bigger drops as does the stock XS rear shock. I will go 140mm for the front fork. I ride this bike hard and it takes all of it.

mtbr member
    What is the front brake?

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudguard View Post
    What is the front brake?
    Still stock front brake, itís been fine.

Bike has held up great, rode it hard last weekend at the bike park thats real washed out from rain and is showing a ton of rocks. Blew a tire on one of the runs but the bike rode great for a 120mm.

mtbr member
    Just wondering how the geometry has changed moving to a 140mm fork? I wanna do the same thing but where I live their are tons of punchy short climbs and I'm worried it will wonder too much.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I havent upgraded yet, I was looking at either a fox 34 140mm or that new marzocchi bomber z2 in a 140mm. That or just getting a whole new bike with more travel all the way around + the dropper post I still need.

the half breed devil
    it's not downhill or even enduro, but the fork is now 140, the rims 29mm and the brakes and levers are somewhat better than stock.

here's my vital MTB bike check:

https://www.vitalmtb.com/community/s...n=CommentAdded

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    it's not downhill or even enduro, but the fork is now 140, the rims 29mm and the brakes and levers are somewhat better than stock.

here's my vital MTB bike check:

https://www.vitalmtb.com/community/s...n=CommentAdded
    Nice! Thanks for posting that, how do you like that X-fusion fork?

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by jjman View Post
    Nice! Thanks for posting that, how do you like that X-fusion fork?
    truthfully, i've only used late 90's and early 00's suspension...and newer recons so i think this thing is pretty cool.

it is noticeably stiffer than the stock recon and less pogo-y, much, much less pogo-y. this could be due to the wider range of rebound adjustment and it being a better fork overall. it doesn't lock out but turn the low speed compression all the way in and the fork is stiff enough for some standing climbing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    truthfully, i've only used late 90's and early 00's suspension...and newer recons so i think this thing is pretty cool.

it is noticeably stiffer than the stock recon and less pogo-y, much, much less pogo-y. this could be due to the wider range of rebound adjustment and it being a better fork overall. it doesn't lock out but turn the low speed compression all the way in and the fork is stiff enough for some standing climbing.
    Nice! If I keep my HH and dont get a new bike iím checking out the new Marzocchi bomber Z2 thats coming on the new HH3, or a set of fox 34ís off ebay.

The debate is, seeing as I need a new fork, dropper post, new wheels to accommodate a thruaxle on the rear, higher handlebars, is it worth just getting a new bike? The YT jeffsy and capra have me interested. Alpine trail is too expensive for me.

mtbr member
    Probably be better to get a bike that is designed for what you want than try to make the HH do more than what it was designed to do. And, I see tons of YTs in my area, people love them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeno View Post
    Probably be better to get a bike that is designed for what you want than try to make the HH do more than what it was designed to do. And, I see tons of YTs in my area, people love them.
    Yeah weíll see, honestly I didn't feel that the HH rear suspension was insufficient that recon fork did chatter my arms to death though. 120mm is pretty fun on the trails.

banned
    Nov 2019
    20 extra mm of travel means angles are one degree slacker. It will also raise your bottom bracket and increase standover height. Your seat angle will be 73.5*.

Your upgrades will cost you so much money you'd be better off getting a bike designed around longer travel. Take a look at the vital mtb comparo test. The vitus mythique is a 140/140 bike which can be bumped to 150/140 with a $15 upgrade.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    The HH1 is very capable if you build it right. My dealer has one. He is running a DVO topaz and DVO Sapphire with a bunch of other upgrades. The brakes and fork on the HH1 will be your weak points. You can run a Bomber Z2 and MT501/520 brakes on it if you want to upgrade cheaper. I run a Z2 on my SQ and my HH3 has a Z2 stock. It is more than capable to handle big hits. Of course, if you are hitting really big jumps, then the Alpine trail will be a better option.

the half breed devil

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by willmbrk View Post
    The HH1 is very capable if you build it right. My dealer has one. He is running a DVO topaz and DVO Sapphire with a bunch of other upgrades. The brakes and fork on the HH1 will be your weak points. You can run a Bomber Z2 and MT501/520 brakes on it if you want to upgrade cheaper. I run a Z2 on my SQ and my HH3 has a Z2 stock. It is more than capable to handle big hits. Of course, if you are hitting really big jumps, then the Alpine trail will be a better option.
    That sounds legit. In spite of making the upgrades to my HH I ordered a YT jeffsy cf comp 27.5 and iíll either keep the HH as my backup or sell it. I wanted to go enduro but honestly I would want to ride it other than at the bike parks. Cost me more but now I got 150mm in the rear and a good parts kit. I still love my HH, who knows I may end up liking it more than the YT.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by jjman View Post
    That sounds legit. In spite of making the upgrades to my HH I ordered a YT jeffsy cf comp 27.5 and iíll either keep the HH as my backup or sell it. I wanted to go enduro but honestly I would want to ride it other than at the bike parks. Cost me more but now I got 150mm in the rear and a good parts kit. I still love my HH, who knows I may end up liking it more than the YT.
    Any comparison yet with the YT? Assuming you received it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Any comparison yet with the YT? Assuming you received it.
    Yes the YT feels like a monster truck compared to the hawk hill, when I get back on the hawk hill it is no doubt way more playful with the short travel suspension. The seat tube angle on the YT definitely makes it climb better and on the downhills jibs that I used to catch air on with the HH the Yt just plows right through them. Theyre both way different bikes even though theyre both ďtrailĒ bikes.