First ride on the XM 7- Mtbr.com
    Hell Track

First ride on the XM 7

I did a good up and down route in my neighborhood. About an 1800 ft. climb and back down. The XM 7 climbed really well. Much better than I expected. I did crash on the way down. We actually got some rain recently in SoCal and there were some big ruts and one took me down on a steep techy section. This was my fault for getting a little too over zealous on a bike that I don't know very well yet. Once I dial this bike in It's gonna be bad ass. New wheels are on the horizon.. Fun ride overall
    I know i made a good purchase. Where you gonna find a bike like this for just over $1400?

I ride bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by crewjones View Post
    I know i made a good purchase. Where you gonna find a bike like this for just over $1400?
    Hint: you cant.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I'm loving my XM6, really wanted the XM7 but they didn't have any stock in my size. I still think it's a great deal for the price. Glad you're having fun on your new ride.

P.S. I've had mine for about 6 months, probably put about 500 miles on it and last weekends ride was the first time I thought to myself, "I've got this bike dialed in now". Enjoy!
    2017 Scott Spark 930
    2016 Fuji Grand Fondo Classico 1.3
    2016 Felt F4X

Hell Track
    I'm debating on Going with a 2x10 setup. Just depends on how cheap I can get away with it. Of course a bash guard and removing the 42 ring would be easiest but I need a bit more than the 32 ring. I'll keep it stock for a while I suppose. Anyone know where I can get an extra cable guide for the top tube? I contacted Marin and they just told me to go to a retailer. Problem is none of the retailers in my area from their website really carry any Marin bikes or related Parts. I looked all over the Net but can't find that particular one

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have a lightly used 39-26 X7 crank in 175 that was stock on my XM8 that I plan to put up on ebay when I have time (by happy accident I ended up with a 2x10 euro-spec XM8 despite buying it in the states).

Is your bike missing the two hole cable guides?

Hell Track
    Yup. It's missing one on the top tube nearest the head tube

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I put a race face 36 with bash on my bike and it works great!
    2017 Scott Spark 930
    2016 Felt F4X

Hell Track
    Quote Originally Posted by dfrink View Post
    I put a race face 36 with bash on my bike and it works great!
    nice! did you keep the 24 t for the small ring? pics?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Yes, I kept the 24. I like the idea of 1x, but can't imagine riding my area without those top two gears. This is the best picture I have on my phone.
    2017 Scott Spark 930
    2016 Felt F4X

Hell Track
    Cool! Bike looks great

Hell Track
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertride View Post
    I have a lightly used 39-26 X7 crank in 175 that was stock on my XM8 that I plan to put up on ebay when I have time (by happy accident I ended up with a 2x10 euro-spec XM8 despite buying it in the states).

Is your bike missing the two hole cable guides?
    How much are trying to get for it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by crewjones View Post
    How much are trying to get for it?
    About $50

I ride bikes
    The quad link suspension system is optimized around a 30t front chainring. So when you put a much bigger or much smaller setup(like a 2x) you lose suspension performance when pedaling.

Hell Track
    hmmm... have you noticed much difference in your bike? I'm not sure how this works,, What about replacing the 42t with a bash guard? wouldn't that essentially be the same setup?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    That's interesting... Why would they offer the bike with a triple up front if it's optimized to be used with only a 30T (aka 1X)?

Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    The quad link suspension system is optimized around a 30t front chainring. So when you put a much bigger or much smaller setup(like a 2x) you lose suspension performance when pedaling.
    2017 Scott Spark 930
    2016 Felt F4X

I ride bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by dfrink View Post
    That's interesting... Why would they offer the bike with a triple up front if it's optimized to be used with only a 30T (aka 1X)?
    All suspension designs are optimized around a certain setting that will give the best pedal, and feedback performance. Marin might have set it at 32t, but I cant remember. Usually they are in the 28-34t range. They set it up with a 3x and focused around the middle ring because that is where you spend most of your time pedaling. I am sure that a 28, 32, or 34 will still work very well with quad link. Unless you are racing, a 34t front with a 11t back should be plenty of speed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    That's interesting, didn't know. Maybe I should try a 34 and see if it makes a difference?
    2017 Scott Spark 930
    2016 Felt F4X

Hell Track
    for me I don't think a 34 is gonna be enough. 36 at least... not that i ride super fast but when i'm riding on pavement or gravel i'm spinning out on the 32 in no time

Hell Track
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertride View Post
    About $50
    might be interested. it came off of a 2013? should be a clean swap i'd imagine. what did you upgrade to?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    It came off a 2012. You would also need a GXP bottom bracket. I didn't upgrade- bought essentially the same but with 170 crank arms. I have Short legs.

Hell Track
    I'm getting tire rub on the rear stock Ardent but can't seem to locate the rub. I definitely hear it when the shock is compressed. Wonder if any other xm7 owners have experienced that

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    XM6, but no rub here.
    2017 Scott Spark 930
    2016 Felt F4X

mtbr member
    Every time I come back to this thread and I just want to kick myself of letting go my XM8.

Hell Track
    Barring some of the minor issues I've had on this bike It's one of those bikes that doesn't necessarily excel at one thing but handles a variety of terrain quite well. I just came back from a St. George and Moab trip. The bike handled really well on tight twisty single track (which I love). It also handled the rocky technical stuff well. I don't do big drops but it handled the smaller stuff fine. Climbs well enough also. Bike of many talents but master of none and that suits me fine since I can't afford multiple Mountain bikes nor do I have room for them. I still see some xm7's on ebay from crosslake sales but they're priced too high right now. I'd imagine they'll have to start a low bid at some point. You can always buy another