Does anyone actually own the 2017 hawk hill?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Does anyone actually own the 2017 hawk hill?

Does anyone actually own the new hawk hill? there are a lot of glowing reviews from people demoing the bike but I have not seen anyone who actually owns it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I demoed an XL and hated it. It felt cramped and.. I dunno. Dead? Not sure what the right word is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tekhna View Post
    I demoed an XL and hated it. It felt cramped and.. I dunno. Dead? Not sure what the right word is.
    That is interesting. All the pro reviewers seemed to have very little bad to say about it. What are you comparing it to?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by onesojourner View Post
    That is interesting. All the pro reviewers seemed to have very little bad to say about it. What are you comparing it to?
    Yeah, it's not like it was badly made or a bad deal, something just felt off about the geometry to me. I usually ride an Advocate Hayduke or a Krampus so it's definitely different than my normal rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by onesojourner View Post
    Does anyone actually own the new hawk hill? there are a lot of glowing reviews from people demoing the bike but I have not seen anyone who actually owns it.
    I don't have one, but I recently saw a post of some guy doing a massive backcountry ride here in Vail Colorado on one and he seems to really like his.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Do you have a link?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I bought mine in April. It's my first full suspension bike. I'm coming off a GT hardtail. I've been on roughly 20 rides with it here in Florida. Mostly Snowhill in Central Florida and once at Alafia state park. The trails I ride have lots of roots and sand so the the bike takes a beating. I've had no problems to date. For the price I paid I'm happy with it.

mtbr member
    Its hard to get a good review of them. Everything ive read just praises it for its price point.

I just like single pivot bikes, so im interested. Im on a giant reign right now, and Ive had a trance, and kona dawg, and Ive ridden a bunch of other bikes.

How does it pedal? Is it fun to ride compared to similar 120mm bikes? How is the leverage curve? Does it bottom easily, or does it ramp up appropriately?

The geometry of the bike otherwise looks great. Its modern and up to date, Im just curious how the bike really performs. Not just how it performs for the price, but how it performs, period.

mtbr member
    I did see a UK based video comparing it to the best but and they picked the beastnut do to the better rear shock. I think Marin is on to something with this bike but the lack of user reviews and the fact that no shop seems to stock it has me scratching my head. I have been to my local Marin dealer and another one 3 hours away and neither shop seemed to be interested in selling me one. This is kind of pushing me to db. I am pretty bummed to see the Hawkhill 2 only sporting an nx group. I was really expecting to see xls or gx at that price point.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

the half breed devil
    i just bought one.

my review is on this site's marin review page.

Marin Hawk Hill 27.5 Full Suspension Reviews - Mtbr.com

i put a longer stem on it and am using a narrower bar.

(MTBR won't let us edit reviews)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Does anyone actually own the 2017 hawk hill?-unnamed-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I bought one and have been enjoying it a lot...then again, this is my first full suspension so I'm not really a good source for reviews.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hey all, I would strongly advise against getting the base model and opt for the nicer two. The base model is strange in that it uses a rear end with dropouts made for a 12x148 thru axle with adapters that allow Marin to spec a regular quick release hub with the bike. However, the adapters supplied came loose on two of the bikes that I know of and would have put gouges in the dropouts if ridden for much longer. Marin has acknowledged it is an issue and has supplied replacement adapters and thru axle wheelsets to rectify the issue. With that said, keep an eye on yours if you bought one and check the rear wheel for play.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda Guy View Post
    Hey all, I would strongly advise against getting the base model and opt for the nicer two. The base model is strange in that it uses a rear end with dropouts made for a 12x148 thru axle with adapters that allow Marin to spec a regular quick release hub with the bike. However, the adapters supplied came loose on two of the bikes that I know of and would have put gouges in the dropouts if ridden for much longer. Marin has acknowledged it is an issue and has supplied replacement adapters and thru axle wheelsets to rectify the issue. With that said, keep an eye on yours if you bought one and check the rear wheel for play.
    links please!!! this is the first i've heard of this issue.

seriously. i've just spent a half hour checking into this using several different search terms. there is nothing on marin's site, this site or anyplace else i've looked. nothing is coming up when i look for replacement adaptors, either.

replacement adaptors AND thru axle wheelsets? with this frame, it's either one or the other. if this information is indeed accurate which one is it?

where did you get this information?

the half breed devil
    honda guy, i see from some of your previous posts you work in a bike shop.

please give us a little more information about this spacer issue.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda Guy View Post
    Hey all, I would like to set the record straight and apologize for causing a hubbub. Things are not as dire as they seem. I spoke with the mechanics in the shop I work at who handled the issue directly.

Out of all the Hawk Hills we have sold (they have been very popular), only one bike was affected. I would consider this a fluke, not a widespread issue. The rear wheel had some play while secured in the dropouts. If left unchecked, then yes, eventually the adpaters could have eaten into the dropouts.

Marin quickly rectified the issue by shipping us a new thru-axle and compatible wheelset and the owner of the Hawk Hill has been complaint-free since.

With that said, the Hawk Hill Two is a much better value because it uses the Rockshox Monarch and it comes out of the box with a stiffer thru-axle rear hub.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    honda guy, i see from some of your previous posts you work in a bike shop.

please give us a little more information about this spacer issue.
    Yeah was just reading this review from a couple days ago(assume it's current as I don't recall seeing it while checking out the HH earlier in the year)and didn't see anything mentioned.
    Review: Marin Hawk Hill 27.5 – Dirt Rag
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

NedwannaB

Bump

A couple weeks have gone by since last posts in here. I started a thread over in the AMtn forum and wondering what if any of the more educated riders on here would think this bike would perform running a stiffer 130 fork and 2.4r/2.5f tires respectively?

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    A couple weeks have gone by since last posts in here. I started a thread over in the AMtn forum and wondering what if any of the more educated riders on here would think this bike would perform running a stiffer 130 fork and 2.4r/2.5f tires respectively?
    i looked but couldn't find the thread. can you please be so kind as provide a link?

NedwannaB
    i looked but couldn't find the thread. can you please be so kind as provide a link?
    http://forums.mtbr.com/all-mountain/...l-1060216.html

the half breed devil
    oh yeah, i familiar with that thread. i'm actually going to build mine a little more on the heavy-duty XC side, just a notch or two from the "trail" side of things. slightly longer stem. 725mm bar rather than 780. maybe even a 30T ring and god forbid! a 650 by 2.2 tire in the rear. much of my riding involves long, long fire road climbs but there are some trails/descents where having a trail-style dualie comes in handy.

of course, i'll have to ride myself back into shape when the doctor says it's OK...

NedwannaB
    I've seen you ride the Headlands right? Same here. Curious to why you got the HH then instead of one of Marins more XC models? But yeah a faster rolling rr tire and different cockpit setup will improve it for sure.

mtbr member
    oh yeah, i familiar with that thread. i'm actually going to build mine a little more on the heavy-duty XC side, just a notch or two from the "trail" side of things. slightly longer stem. 725mm bar rather than 780. maybe even a 30T ring and god forbid! a 650 by 2.2 tire in the rear. much of my riding involves long, long fire road climbs but there are some trails/descents where having a trail-style dualie comes in handy.

of course, i'll have to ride myself back into shape when the doctor says it's OK...
    A longer stem and narrower bar won't make it more xc oriented. It'll just descend worse. It's worth keeping the stock cockpit and giving it a month or so of solid riding.

It's weird at first, but nearly everyone ends up strongly preferring it!

Tire choice makes an enormous difference. I'd still like to see some anti squat numbers.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    A longer stem and narrower bar won't make it more xc oriented. It'll just descend worse. It's worth keeping the stock cockpit and giving it a month or so of solid riding.

It's weird at first, but nearly everyone ends up strongly preferring it!

Tire choice makes an enormous difference. I'd still like to see some anti squat numbers.
    i am looking for a slightly shorter stem now after riding the bike several times following a long break due to injury.

the bike came with 60mm (why marin stocks the entire size range with a 60mm stem is beyond me) i had the shop swap out to 80 and i'm going back down to 70 for now.

the narrower bar stays due to the fact it's just too difficult to wrestle the stock 780's around and up the narrow stairway into the bike-room in the flat i live in. yes, a wider bar helps technical handling. yes, i find my hands on the very ends of the 725mm bar in some situations. BUT NO, THE BIKE DOES NOT FIT UP MY STAIRWELL WITH THE WIDER BAR, AND NO, I AM NOT LEAVING THE BIKE IN THE GARAGE FOR SAN FRANCISCO'S BIKE THIEF/METH INDUSTRY.

i'm not riding enough extremely technical riding and downhill to require the additional leverage of a wider handlebar, anyway.

life is full of compromises we have to make...

after having ridden the bike eighteen times and 226 miles, i'm pretty satisfied with its handling and tires, which i'll replace with something similar when they wear to the point of where i like to replace tires. having not ridden full suspension since 2009, i must say i'm quite impressed with how bikes like this ascend--it's not fast but the traction, the traction. you just sit in the bike and crawl up the grade, no matter how steep and loose.

maybe a 120mm travel trail bike is slight overkill for where i ride and my riding style but as it is, i'm quite happy with my purchase. i plan on making trips outside my normal range like downieville where a bike like this will be spot-on.

even with a healing shoulder and deliberately trying to be extra-cautious during this stage of my recovery from a dislocated shoulder, there are places i'm riding faster and techy root sections i used to have trouble with on a hardtail are much easier aboard (in) the hawk hill.
    Last edited by shekky; 12-29-2017 at 06:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I'm buying mine a 2 or 3 soon from Performance, rode Downieville first in 90? Hardtail Shwinn, several bikes since. you will have many smiles per mile. I can't wait till June .

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Use Downieville Outfitters to shuttle, Greg is the original , treats me right 20 + rides later.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I'm buying mine a 2 or 3 soon from Performance, rode Downieville first in 90? Hardtail Shwinn, several bikes since. you will have many smiles per mile. I can't wait till June .
    you'll like it but i would switch out the stock shifter cable asap and if you buy the 3, it's got resin-only rotors.

i've found the back one gets to howling no matter what i do to stop it, so i'm switching rotors out asap.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Got my 2 Friday . Rode Saturday and Sunday 11 mile loop both days. 1300 plus up. When I could ride, it's a climbing beast , some walking involved. Extremely out of shape.
    Loved it!!!!!
    Good - awesome brakes, dropper seats rule, no need for lockouts any way., tires( maybe) not sure yet, I want grip shift thumb levers suck,seat might be my favorite ever, grips are fine. I might weigh 15 # than I thought, so everything might get even more interesting next week? No one won't see you on the trail.

Bad- bars maybe slightly wide, did I mention I hate thumb levers? Maybe slightly longer stem, bought xt pedals- Had atac, think I might still be an atac fan. Nothing else.
    Excellent buy for the $ . Can't wait for Downieville in June. " MADE FOR FUN " Is perfect. Orin

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Use Downieville Outfitters to shuttle, Greg is the original , treats me right 20 + rides later.
    good to know greg is still there.