Buying Marin frame only- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Buying Marin frame only

Is it possible to buy a frame only from Marin and build it up yourself? Anyone ever go thru their local bike shop, or thru Marin directly for this?

I think their frame would be a great fit for me, but I would want to replace the brakes for sure. I am also considering replacing drivetrain and wheels, and at that point it would be better to build it up from the frame myself.

mtbr member
    The last frame sets I remember Marin selling were the Mount Vision and Attack Trail back in 2016 or 2017. I don't think they offer frame sets anymore, but it wouldn't hurt to ask your LBS or email them directly.

mtbr member
    I bought a Marin Hawk Hill , the same day changed brakes,rotors, cranks, shifters, derraulier, cassetes, seatpost, grips... So i know what you mean.!

Enviado do meu SM-G975F através do Tapatalk

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Nel79 View Post
    I bought a Marin Hawk Hill , the same day changed brakes,rotors, cranks, shifters, derraulier, cassetes, seatpost, grips... So i know what you mean.!

Awaiting my complete HH arriving next week to do the same thing.☝️😎

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Awaiting my complete HH arriving next week to do the same thing.☝️😎

There is a chance I go the same route. From what I am reading, if I take off some parts before riding the bike they could be sold as new, and I might actually get a few dollars for them.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by ibanda View Post
    There is a chance I go the same route. From what I am reading, if I take off some parts before riding the bike they could be sold as new, and I might actually get a few dollars for them.
    True. But in my case probly <$.50/$ since its SX but it's better than nothing or sitting in a box collecting dust.

NedwannaB
    Reply from Marin rep:

"Headlands, wolf ridge, san quentin 3, Alcatraz. More to come in the future."

Not sure what you're looking for.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nel79 View Post

I have the same problem, buy a bike and soon after start making changes. Got my RZ3 about 4 months ago and I've already replaced the wheels, cassette, tires, stem, handlebar, grips, saddle, seatpost, dropper lever, and chainring.

My Pine Mountain only has the stem, crank, and headset remaining from the original build. Currently having an new wheelset laced up for her.

I might be tempted to get a new gravel frame. I have my eyes on a Lombard just for the bigger tire clearances.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Reply from Marin rep:

"Headlands, wolf ridge, san quentin 3, Alcatraz. More to come in the future."

Not sure what you're looking for.
    Thanks JMac. I am wanting a gravel bike next and looking at Headlands or Gestalt X. Good to know I may be able to build one up from the frame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeno View Post
    I have the same problem, buy a bike and soon after start making changes. Got my RZ3 about 4 months ago and I've already replaced the wheels, cassette, tires, stem, handlebar, grips, saddle, seatpost, dropper lever, and chainring.

My Pine Mountain only has the stem, crank, and headset remaining from the original build. Currently having an new wheelset laced up for her.

I might be tempted to get a new gravel frame. I have my eyes on a Lombard just for the bigger tire clearances.
    My criterium frame bike with 25c tires sits in the garage for months at a time. I don't like riding it on the pothole crap streets near my house. In my first acknowledgement that I am over 50, I have decided that I am done with 23c tires forever! I am going to get a gravel bike and ride 38 or 40s. If I take up gravel riding and enjoy it, I want the capacity to go to 45.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ibanda View Post
    My criterium frame bike with 25c tires sits in the garage for months at a time. I don't like riding it on the pothole crap streets near my house. In my first acknowledgement that I am over 50, I have decided that I am done with 23c tires forever! I am going to get a gravel bike and ride 38 or 40s. If I take up gravel riding and enjoy it, I want the capacity to go to 45.
    The Lombard and Headland have clearance for up to 700x45.

The GestaltX up to 700x42

Make sure you check the specs before you buy a frame, because a lot of gravel bikes are just road frames and only take up to 700x35, the Nicasio and Gestalt for example. The work around is to run a 650 wheel, so you can go that route if you are inclined.

I have a Cortina and am running a 700x40 and am very happy with the ride compliance, so much better than 25c tires.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk