B-17?- Mtbr.com

Thread: B-17?

DFL

B-17?

Has anyone ridden one yet? What are your impressions?
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Monitoring this thread. Only going off of reviews at the moment (which are all positive at least).

A B-17 one all boxed up just arrived in the shop I work at. Hopefully my manager will let me put it together! I will report if I get a chance to play with it.

I may just have to pick one up blind...

NedwannaB
    Subscribed. Was thinking HawkHill til I saw a pic of one of these. Looking forward to an actual review.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    this bike is on my short list along with a Trek Fuel EX. called a couple shops that carry Marin, but they don't expect to receive any until early Dec

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    this bike is on my short list along with a Trek Fuel EX. called a couple shops that carry Marin, but they don't expect to receive any until early Dec
    Hmmmm interesting. According to Hondaguy his shop(area unknown) got one a week ago.

@hondaguy has your shop built it up yet? Inquiring mind(s).....

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Hmmmm interesting. According to Hondaguy his shop(area unknown) got one a week ago.

Unfortunately not

I live in Davis, CA and work at Ken's Bike Ski Board. We sell a ton of commuter bikes but not many full suspension bikes so a lot of them sit in the back. The B17 is a medium and if anybody's interested in getting one it'd be no big deal to build it up.

However, our Marin rep lives in town and he told me that I would be able to borrow a demo B17 and/or Rift Zone from him come this November. I'll keep you all updated.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post

It's here! And it looks even better than in the reviews.

So far I really like it (in my limited experience.). I fit a large but the bike we have is a medium. Taking it for a parking lot ride, I enjoyed it. It felt quite snappy even with tubes. Looks like there is clearance for a 3.0 tire but I probably wouldn't go bigger - have not officially confirmed this yet, however.

Singletrack Mag griped about the three finger Shimano BR315 levers and I have to agree that I don't like them either. They're perfectly dependable and reliable in my experience, but for a trail bike I like one finger levers.

What really surprised me was the dropper and the linkage. Nice tight fit on the linkage and it's laterally stiff. The dropper is nicer than the other Trans-X ones I've tried and is nice and smooth with a quick return. I'm really impressed with the bike and will get in touch when I ride one of the demos.

B-17?-img_4326.jpgB-17?-img_4328.jpgB-17?-img_4323.jpg

Sorry, can't figure out how to get those last two rotated the right way.
    Last edited by Honda Guy; 10-30-2017 at 09:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I am interested in ride reviews here as well. I like the simple AL, moderate travel nature of this frame. Also wondering if anyone knows what the frame weight is, as I'd like to build up a light one by swapping out parts from the to build and adding light wheels.

Thx!
    W

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hey guys, just checking in. The Marin rep came by and dropped off a large B17 Three off at the shop this past weekend. This is the version with the RS Pike, Deluxe with the large volume air can, and Stan's Major wheelset.

The bike is fricken sweet. It's a great climber. I had low expectations for the linkage to be honest but its small bump compliance and anti-squat characteristics were really excellent. The last new full suspension I rode was a 2015 Intense Tracer 275C Expert, and the B17 blew it away on the climbs. Much less bob when you stand up and get on it. On the descents it felt just as confident as the Tracer, but the terrain I was hitting (Foresthill Divide Loop, Auburn, CA) doesn't really necessitate 160mm of travel. I normally ride a 650+ hardtail and I had a much easier time keeping with my buddies on their 650b Stumpy's.

The Pike was a Pike. Solid, very firm mid stroke, and stiff in all the right places. I am a slow rider so it is definitely on the aggressive side for my riding style. If you're like me I suggest running more sag than you normally do.

GX Eagle was solid and aside from the suspension, it was the most standout feature of the bike. I definitely had a cheater gear and could spin much more easily than I can with my 11-40 1x10 setup.

For those of you considering it, I really recommend going with the two or the three because the stiffness and superior damping of the 35mm Revelation/Pike really complements the rest of the bike.

All in all, I really liked the bike. The whole thing screamed quality, from the fact that they use a threaded bottom brakcet and integrated headset, to the lateral stiffness of the linkage. It's an excellent bike and deserves three times the press it's gotten so far.

If you want to ask anything else about the bike, just ask and I will give you my honest answer.

B-17?-img_4416.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Also, I forgot to mention that the B17 definitely runs small. At 6' with a 33 in inseam, I was at max extension on the dropper and the cockpit felt kind of cramped (bars too close and low), so treat it like a Santa Cruz with regards to sizing. Riders who are 5'10", 5'11" may find that they do well on the large, whereas when you start getting to the 6' mark, I could see going large or extra large with a corresponding stem.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Did you ever feel the need to lockout the rear shock on climbs? I'm on a budget and not sure if I can afford the 2 or 3 (even though I really wish I could). I know the 1 doesn't have lockout in the rear, so I'm curious if I'd be okay without it. I'd prefer the 35 mm stanchions on the Revelation/Pike over the 32 mm Recon, but again, money is an issue.

A guy at my local shop had an XL B-17 3 that I just rode around the shop. It did seem a little small and the front end seemed quite low, but I think it is something I can manage. I'm 6'3" with 36" inseam and long arms. He also told me he had to talk with Marin about getting a longer dropper because the stock 120 mm dropper was above max extension at his preferred height.

Have you also had a chance to ride the Rift Zone? I'm curious how the two compare.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by laj.tuxmek View Post
    Did you ever feel the need to lockout the rear shock on climbs? I'm on a budget and not sure if I can afford the 2 or 3 (even though I really wish I could). I know the 1 doesn't have lockout in the rear, so I'm curious if I'd be okay without it. I'd prefer the 35 mm stanchions on the Revelation/Pike over the 32 mm Recon, but again, money is an issue.

A guy at my local shop had an XL B-17 3 that I just rode around the shop. It did seem a little small and the front end seemed quite low, but I think it is something I can manage. I'm 6'3" with 36" inseam and long arms. He also told me he had to talk with Marin about getting a longer dropper because the stock 120 mm dropper was above max extension at his preferred height.

Have you also had a chance to ride the Rift Zone? I'm curious how the two compare.
    Not at all. I would be stoked to get on the B17 1. The Rockshox Deluxe is an excellent shock even without the lockout and air can. It had the least pedal bob out of any full suspension bike I've ever ridden. The B17 1 will feel the same way on the climbs, maybe a tad heavier.

I have not had a chance to ride the Rift Zone. It's next on my list though. The Rift Zone 2 looks really good to me. With that said, I would go with the B17 because according to the Marin rep the Rift Zone will not clear a 650b+ tire in the rear. You can always mount a 29er in the B17 if you want something that's a bit more xc-ish.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda Guy View Post
    Not at all. I would be stoked to get on the B17 1. The Rockshox Deluxe is an excellent shock even without the lockout and air can. It had the least pedal bob out of any full suspension bike I've ever ridden. The B17 1 will feel the same way on the climbs, maybe a tad heavier.

I have not had a chance to ride the Rift Zone. It's next on my list though. The Rift Zone 2 looks really good to me. With that said, I would go with the B17 because according to the Marin rep the Rift Zone will not clear a 650b+ tire in the rear. You can always mount a 29er in the B17 if you want something that's a bit more xc-ish.
    Good to know. Yeah the Rift Zone 2 is what I've had my eye on. The specs are solid and the paint job is pretty cool too. I'm surprised that your rep said 27.5+ won't fit on the Rift Zone. It was my understanding that the B-17 and the Rift Zone share the same frame, so tire clearance should be the same.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Just had my first ride on the B17 -1.

I am liking the bike very much. My hard tail used to beat me up. The B17 absorbs all the bumps, yet still feeling connected to the trail.

I am 6’0”....32 inseam. Size L is perfect for me. Some things I will do in time. Change to a 32 or 34T chainring. I find the 30T too small ....I could loose the bottom three cogs, and I wouldn’t miss them.

And eventually go tubeless. But wan to put some more miles on the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I can't seem to find much on the rear hub apart from a model number - formula CL148S. any comment on engagement? it looks like my sort of bike - I don't need massive travel and all reports say this is a really fun ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    what do you mean by engagement on hub?

I have decided that i will probably upgrade to 12 speed Sram.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyking1231 View Post
    what do you mean by engagement on hub?

I have decided that i will probably upgrade to 12 speed Sram.
    "Engagement" as in how much play before the pawls lock in within the hub when you turn the cranks. As for upgrade to 12 speed you'd have to make sure the rear hub it comes with is XD drive type compatible or you'd need a new wheel, or at least a new hub relaced to it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    curious if theres updates from people who have bought the b17. Lots of reviews and threads of people considering them but few seem to follow thought. and many of the reviews suggest the plus tyres are holding the bike back. It's a mail order bike in aus, so also curious as to sizing, 5.10 but short 31.5 inseam so could possibly go medium or large.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I bought one from bicycles online also. I am in no way an experienced rider but for $3300 you couldnt ask for better components. im 186cm, long torso, 34inch inseam, L size is perfect for me.

the bike actually came with 203mm brake rotors upfront and 180mm back... i have only had a chance to ride it around the local city park... prob would go the medium.. teh wheels are nearly 29inch size...

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I'm seriously contemplating the B-17 -1, but also intrigue with Hawk Hill 2. The Hawk Hill is spec and priced closely with the B-17-1 with less expensive brakes and narrower tires, with everything else the same.

The geometry though is slightly different, I'm wondering how the geometry difference affect the riding, they both trail bikes. To me it looks like the B-17 is all around better than Hawk Hill for the same price

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    got delivery yesterday of b17-3. looks even better in the flesh. low standover and seat tube make it a great fit for me. au$3100 this is a bargain. also came with 203 front disc, bonus for me at over 100kg.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    so i have a crapload of miles on my b17-1. although my bike isn't exactly stock anymore (eagle drivetrain with sunrace cassette 1x12....34t chainring, carbon wheels, and a few mor e things). bike is great. if you can the carbon wheels (tuff), really improves this bike, (well carbon wheels improves any bike ) same tires but maxxis recon+, better tire for my trails. the dropper post i keep thinking of removing. i just dont really use it. i play around with it, but no big descents where i am. would rather a rear shock lockout.

one more thing...i switched cranks when i swapped the drivetrain. went with 170mm cranks, this helped quite a bit with pedal strikes.

otherwise no problems with the bike/frame

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    first trails on the b17-3. pedal strikes were very noticeable, even on the smooth winding track going in its very easy to clip when pedalling through a turn. Crank arms show more scuff already than on the bike it's replacing. that said it rides well, endless grip and is a whole lotta fun. was running at 30% sag in the shock, might try at 25 and see if it sits a little higher without sacrificing small bump damping.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    wondering if anyones gone and swapped out for a 29" wheelset and how that's going. looking at maybe the bont line comp 30's. not too expensive to try a 29*2.5

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I am also very interested both in Long Term happiness on this bike and results for people who have switched to a 29 wheelset, basically making it a Rift Zone 3.

Also, one guy mentioned pedal strikes, is this an issue for anyone else? I am in the same boat as half the people on the internet.. Buy one of these (b-17 2) or buy a used 3500 bike for under 2 grand.

mtbr member
    I've got a B17 3 and didn't like all the pedal strikes. I got a deal on some Ibis 938 wheels, put some Minion 2.6's on it and couldn't be happier.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I'm looking for people's thoughts on sizing. I'm 5'10, so right on the borderline between medium and large. I've read one review that said the B-17 ran a little small. Just looking for some more thoughts before I decide which way to go.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    5'10 with 31.5 inseam and went with a large. It does feel liek a big bike as in stable. Really short seat tube and 125 dropper has heaps of space where so many large bikes i simply couldnt pedal and mediums were too short in the top tube.It fits me great but if i replace the bars I'd go a bit smaller there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    5'10 with 31.5 inseam and went with a large. It does feel liek a big bike as in stable. Really short seat tube and 125 dropper has heaps of space where so many large bikes i simply couldnt pedal and mediums were too short in the top tube.It fits me great but if i replace the bars I'd go a bit smaller there.

Members who have read this thread: 39