Anyone on a 2018 Rift Zone- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Anyone on a 2018 Rift Zone

Hi everyone, I'm wondering if any of you guys have bought/ridden a 2018 Rift Zone. I can't find much info about the bike except press releases and first rides. I'm wondering about the rear suspension feel and if the Boost dropouts on the 1 (lower end model) are converted from 141x9 with inserts (like they do on cheaper models) or are regular 148x12?

Thanks for any info!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm probably going to be picking up a Rift Zone 3 as soon as they're available on Experticity. I was having a hard time deciding between the B17 and Rift Zone. I decided the lighter rotational of the 29er would be better for my riding. Can't wait to get it! My last bike was a 26" hardtail so I'm sure I will love it no matter what.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Also very interested in the Rift Zone 3. Initial reviews are good, price is good, sounds perfect for my style of riding after bumping the fork to 130mm (same geo as B-17). Going to demo it at the Sedona MTB Festival at the begining of March, will be able to provide feedback afterwards.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Got to check out a size L Rift Zone 3 at a local shop today. Great looking bike, really nice fit, and feels lighter than I expected. Would plan to make a couple changes right off the bat (although it would be easy to do this over time): 1) house brand bar looks and feels flimsy under heavy load, a beefier bar would be nice, 2) grips are pretty generic, at least they're lock-ons, 3) 125mm Trans-X is alright, lever is a little sticky, but the easily frame has space for a 150/175 dropper with my inseam, would definitely upgrade, 4) 2.4" WTB trail bosses are bigger than expected, looks good as a rear tire, but would upgrade the front to something equally big/bigger with better bite for the loose terrain down here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Good to hear that it feels light. Did you take it on a parking lot ride? If so how would you describe the rear suspension feel?

I took my wife's 17 Nail Trail 7 27.5 on a long ride today. Our local trails are pretty smooth and its got me considering the 18 Nail Trail 29er instead of the Rift Zone. Adding some 2.6 tires would smooth out some of the chatter and improve traction. Ugh, can't decide if the 3.5lb weight penalty is worth it for the FS.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Dirtriding4life, I didn't. Shop was about to close so I had less than 10min to check everything out. Suspension felt smooth, although unfortunately was set up for someone much heavier than me. Only three weeks until the Sedona MTB festival and will give it a good work over.

If I lived somewhere I could get away with a hardtail I absolutely would. Less maintenance, and ability to strap on a frame bag or two water bottle cages (2018 NT) would be awesome. You've got to be a glutton for punishment if trying to ride everything in Tucson, AZ and the surrounding areas on a hardtail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Here in Central Oregon most trails I have been on are hardpack with some rocky sections thrown in. I'm getting more and more convinced of the hardtail. I think next weekend I will demo a Trek Fuel since it has similar geometry to the Rift Zone and see if it blows my mind.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Got a chance to do a really quick demo ride on one of these back in October in Charlotte, NC on some trails Iím really familiar with. After a day of riding 4 or 5 other Carbon super bikes in the $4-5-6k range I literally had to ask the guy to repeat the price of this bike when he said $2600.
    In some ways I think that reinforced to me that Iím an intermediate-ish rider who is used to a hardtail and all of these full suspension bikes feel sort of the same (read: really nice) to me, but one way or another Iím pretty intrigued by this bike.
    Most of my riding these days is a little more aggressive than trails in Charlotte, and geometry-wise the 120/120 seems like it might be a bit tame for what I want but Iíll definitely be trying to demo or rent one of these again for a longer ride before I decide what my next bike will be and Iíd definitely recommend the same to anyone considering it!
    When you really go through the component spec I think you can see that the price tag fits, but definitely for a rider of my caliber at least it made me realize that perhaps thereís some diminishing returns when it comes to price/componentry these days!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Slounsberry - Glad to hear it rode that well! For the price it's really hard to beat.

I'm planning on bumping the front travel to 130 (slackens HTA to 67) and adding a MRP ramp control cartridge, which I think would make it ride like it had a lot more travel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Decided to stop back by the shop last night for a parking lot ride.

In general the bike rides well, although it's really hard to tell from a parking lot ride. The rear suspension was setup way too stiff initially (using max ~60% of travel) and was feeling harsh even dropping off of curbs. Dropping pressure helped immensely, even though I could still have dropped another 10psi and it would have been better. There's a noticeable ramp up at the end of the stroke with how the RS deluxe is tuned, so I don't think running closer to 30% sag would be a huge problem. Also, I think even higher volume tires (29x2.6, ~ new Ibis Ripley) would make for a super forgiving ride.

Also was able to weight the size L stock at 32.2 lbs with tubes and nylon test pedals installed. Surprised me, as it felt lighter than that. Would drop at least a pound from converting to tubeless right away. Also, stock wheelset is heavy and stock tires are pretty lightweight, making upgrades over time would be worth it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    This bike is really catching my interest. Would need to find a good deal on it though. I would love to find one cheap, and then throw a works angle set on there to slackening the head angle and steepen the seat a bit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Unfortunately there was no size L Rift Zone at the Sedona MTB fest this weekend (I know, right?), but was able to test the B17 and Hawk Hill 3. B17 was a riot for such short travel, didn't bottom out travel even going down some gnarly black diamond trails. Reach measurements were perfect for me at 5'10", however I did notice the heft of the 27.5+ wheels and tiresWould definitely recommend upping the for travel on the Rift Zone to 130 for maximum fun.

I have a word in to Marin to ask about when Experticity stock would be updated with 2018 models but have not gotten any word back yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Do you think they'll tell you? I mean your basically asking how you can spend less on their product. I wonder how good the experticity discounts will be. I'm not in a huge hurry, so I can wait. These are the 2018 models, though, does it usually take a while for stuff to hit that site?

I would like more travel for sure, so a longer fork sounds great. But I don't want to slackening the seat tube angle much. If anything I'd like a slacker head angle and steeper seat tube angle. That's why I'm thinking of just going with an angleset. I'm kind of mimicking Transition's new geometry.

I'd like to here more impressions, but I don't know if that's going to happen. Marin isn't very popular, and this fourm is usually pretty dead. The few reviews out there talk about how quick and effecient the bike feels. That interests me. This bike could be a hidden gem (like my Diamondback Release). I've been thinking of getting a Jeffsy, but the Rift Zone 2 has caught my eye. Less travel, but may be just as fun. If Experticity comes through, it may be quite a steal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    It's not spending less, we're just paying what a shop would for the bike. I've had other companies on Experticity tell me when they were going to update stock, however can't explicitly speak for Marin.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    So Marin has been on there in the past? I see some Marin road bikes on there, but no Hawk Hills or Attack Trails, etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I emailed Marin asking about experticity and they just got back to me today. All they said was I need to contact experticity for any information. I guess I'll try and email them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Any word back from Experticity? (apparently now renamed to ExpertVoice)

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I was never able to ask them. Whenever I go to contact us on their site, it asks me to sign in. I sign in and go back to contact us and it again asks me to sign in. I can't get past that. Tried it when I last posted that, and again just now. Same problem. Also tried on phone and tablet. Both are doing it.

I've pretty much decided I'm getting a Rift Zone 3. Love everything about it (except the recon fork. I wish it was a better fork). Unless something amazing (and inexpensive) comes out at Sea Otter, I think I'll pick one up.

Would love a discount from experticity. That would be amazing. Does anyone know how they really work though. I have a membership there, but it's as a law enforcement expert. I know I can get some bike discounts, but are there separate discounts for the bike experts? Like discounts I won't be have access to by not being a bike expert?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    The 3 comes with a new 35mm stanchion Revelation which felt just as stiff as an older Pike.

I put in an email to them and at least received a confirmation email from my submission, so we'll see what they say.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    The three definitely checks all the marks, but I dig the color of the 2. I didn't like it at first and now it has grown on me. Maybe I'll get the 2 and upgrade the fork down the road.

Really liked what I read about the Rift Zone on enduro-mtb.com in their review and in the 3000 Euro shootout.

I also just tried to submit an email on a different computer and was successful. So I guess we have two inquires out there now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    How 'bout this for a Rifty?

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2343472/

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Very nice. Too rich for my blood, though. Also sounds like I'm a little taller than him, but I'm looking at the large.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I wonder if that guy is right on the 2.6 29er tires fitting in the frame. Wonder where he got that info from?

Also I was under the impression 27.5+ would make the bottom bracket too low.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Well I just got a reply. Experticity/expertvoice said it up to the manufacturers to make stock available to them. They can't say if they will see them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I got the same response from them.

Matt Cipes, the lead MTB engineer for Marin mentioned it in an interview with Wideopen Mag in the UK (video here: https://www.wideopenmountainbike.com...ipes-interview)

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Sweet. 2.6 tires. The bike gets even better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Does anyone know if the Rift Zone and B17 use the same frame? The b17 states it's 29" compatible and the difference in geo between the 2 can be accounted for by diff wheel size and fork travel I think. But any difference in construction? or tire clearance?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I'm pretty sure that they do. I demo'd the B17 and it didn't look like it had exceptional clearance, think its stated at 27.5x3.0 whereas the Rifty is 29x2.6.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Still no update on the Marin ExpertVoice page, however the 2018 Raleigh line was updated over the last few days (not available for purchase yet) so maybe that means that Marin is coming soon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Fingers crossed

ptd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Had my first ride on the Rift Zone 3, in short it's excellent - hits the mark as advertised.

Rear is compliant and grippy with lots of ramp up, would tend to 20-25% sag rather than 30(+)% and fast-ish rebound to avoid use of the pedal lever.
    Front came with 130mm forks had amazing control and grip and confidence inspiring when handling the rough, volume tokens make a big difference to progression, 2 or 3 tokens maybe and 1 or 2 clicks of compression.

Rode on flow trails, natural, steep, fast, technical and rocky, same trails I've been on with 27.5 160mm 'enduro' bike and 27.5 125mm 'aggressive trail' bikes, (rigid single speed for kicks), handled it all fine.
    Had to back off as expected on the most demanding fastest rocky technical trails - frame/suspension/geometry/ride quality didn't hold it back - some heavy duty tyres/bars/stem/brakes would fix that, however not necessary for what the bike is intended - just trail ripping fun!

Was my first ride on a 29er, no negatives associated, drops, jumps, technical steeps with holes and cornering was all fine.

I'd concur that bang for buck is great, hard to justify spending premium.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Haha. Just posted a Rift Zone thread and THEN noticed this one. I've had one (2) for a couple of weeks. First full squish bike coming from a low-end hardtail. It has rejuvenated my interest in MTB (the hardtail, in particular the crap fork, were beating me up enough that I wasn't riding a lot anymore).

Really enjoying it so far. I am not an expert rider, but will try to answer any questions anyone may have.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've since got one, and BTW they are the same frameset as the B17. I like mine a lot, the rear suspension works really well despite having a simple shock. The fork isn't great but should work fine for most people. I'm pretty impressed with the wheelset. I weighed them and they're just about 1900g, pretty light considering 29mm internal house brand rims, straight gauge spokes, brass nipples, and formula hubs w/ steel freehub body.

Only thing i really don't like is that the internal cable routing rattles around inside the downtube. Ended up running all the cables externally for now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Haven't noticed any problems with the internal routing, but I may not be bouncing it as hard as you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Just FYI, Marin has updated the Experticity site but with only a few bikes. The Pine Mountain 2 is the only bike on the MTB page, but this may change soon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Buggyr333 View Post
    I've since got one, and BTW they are the same frameset as the B17. I like mine a lot, the rear suspension works really well despite having a simple shock. The fork isn't great but should work fine for most people. I'm pretty impressed with the wheelset. I weighed them and they're just about 1900g, pretty light considering 29mm internal house brand rims, straight gauge spokes, brass nipples, and formula hubs w/ steel freehub body.

Only thing i really don't like is that the internal cable routing rattles around inside the downtube. Ended up running all the cables externally for now.
    Buggyr333 - Here's the finished product of the one I just bought from you. I put a 150mm Revelation on the front to slacken the head angle and give me a little more travel.
    I've had one ride on it, but am really loving it so far.
    Thanks again!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone on a 2018 Rift Zone-marin-1.jpg  

Anyone on a 2018 Rift Zone-marin-2.jpg  

Anyone on a 2018 Rift Zone-marin-3.jpg  

Anyone on a 2018 Rift Zone-marin-4.jpg  

Anyone on a 2018 Rift Zone-marin-5.jpg  

Anyone on a 2018 Rift Zone-marin-6.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    2019 RZ 2. loving the 29'er and full squish. It's 30lbm heavy especially coming from XC comp bike at 25lbm. Not having a shock lock out is the only negative. The handle bar is long and need to get used to. The bike was planted on the curvy singletracks
    Anyone on a 2018 Rift Zone-dsc_0201.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone on a 2018 Rift Zone-dsc_0204.jpg  

Anyone on a 2018 Rift Zone-dsc_0069.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Picked up a Rift Zone 2 earlier this year and it has been a blast on everything in the SF Bay Area and a few spots in Tahoe including a weekend at Northstar.

It was my first bike as I got into mountain biking coming from a background in BMX (racing and dirt trails) but being off a bike for a number of years.

I love it and it has yet to hold me back. Highly recommend it!

-over looking South Lake Tahoe

-a trail ride around Calero Lake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Good looking bike I really like that paint scheme. I've got the RZ 1 and couldn't be happier. For a short travel 29er it can handle some chunk to my surprise.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Yea, I was a bigger fan of the scheme on the 1 but I wanted the dropper post right off the back. The paint scheme on the 2 has grown on me and I really like it.

Looking forward to some upgrades over time and looking to extend the front travel and upgrade the rear shock to make it a little more beastly.

As I upgrade this I want to follow the N+1 rule and pick up a San Quentin as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I want to get into the sport for fitness and also ride with my family. I have been reading the last couple days and I am all over the place.

I think I would like a full suspension, I foudn that my local performance bike has a marin hawk hill 1 ($1065) and Rift Zone 1($1165). While researching I have also heard a quite a bit about the diamond back Release 1 as well and there are more YouTube video on the DB compared to only a handful on the marin. The DB if i wait can be had for about $1500 with corp discount, so not sure if I should get the DB or the Rift Zone 1.

I am 6 feet, will be riding in local trails which is not technical and will start with riding on paved roads and then move onto trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I think the Rift Zone 1 would be a better fit, 29" wheels will roll better and it's more XC/trail oriented than the Release. If performance has the Rift Zone 2 and you can afford the extra cost you get a huge increase in capability as compared to the 1.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    No, they only have 1 large in stock of the Rift zone and 1 stock of hawk hill. What I have read is that 27.5 vs 29 is a preference and I will ride both and see what I like more.

I want to know from components and ride factor which is a better bike, although at $1165 the rift zone seems like a good deal right?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by surfer369 View Post
    No, they only have 1 large in stock of the Rift zone and 1 stock of hawk hill. What I have read is that 27.5 vs 29 is a preference and I will ride both and see what I like more.

I want to know from components and ride factor which is a better bike, although at $1165 the rift zone seems like a good deal right?
    It's a great deal. There isn't any notable difference between components on the HH and the RZ, theyre mostly the same, if that's what you are referring to.

The DB is a nice bike and has slightly better suspension components (I think, depends on the year), but beware that DB has had some QC problems with the pivots and whatnot on the frame. Marin hasn't had any issues.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Anyone ever tried an angled headset on their Rift Zone? Love the bike but would like a slightly slacker head angle and steeper seat tube angle. Would this lower the bottom bracket too low? Or would it work great?

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by richulr View Post
    Anyone ever tried an angled headset on their Rift Zone? Love the bike but would like a slightly slacker head angle and steeper seat tube angle. Would this lower the bottom bracket too low? Or would it work great?
    I put the works 1.5 headset on mine. Dropped bb 17mm with 130mm fork. I do plan to upgrade to 150 fork as soon as I can. Love the headset so far.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Only negative I found was the geometry. Feel/layout did not match the specs. Felt like a size L instead of the XL on the sticker. Cockpit felt short and the bars low. I did get a longer Stem (Race Face Response 60mm 10 degree rise), and some higher rise handlebars (Race Face Response 785mm with 38mm Rise), which did open it up and help my 50 yr old spine a bit.

The tires size was a pleasant surprise. My other bike is a Cannondale Beast with real 27.5x3.0 tires. When I ordered the bike I was already shopping for tires as I thought the 2.3 where gonna be insanely narrow as all these company's tires are always well below the stated width. Thought the 2.3 tire would measure 2.15 or something like that. The casing on the Rift Zones Crown Gem Tire is 2.29 wide and the tread measures 2.38 across, so they are slightly understated. They seem to dig in well and are more than enough volume and traction for my overly cautious, average intermediate abilities.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone on a 2018 Rift Zone-riftzoneraceface.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Just FYI: Marin stock crank weight is 688 gram (without chainring...just arms and spindle).... Pretty heavy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Crank arms = 688 grams
    Steel 30T = 136 grams

Not a weight weenie but definitely an inexpensive way to drop 100 to 300 or more grams is a new aluminum chainring and crank...approx 1/2 to 3/4 lbs....or more depending on your choices....

Also noted that my stock handlebars have a caution sticker that states: not recommended for downhill competition, stunts, or aggressive off road riding.

I switched them out....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone on a 2018 Rift Zone-img_20190728_154115.jpg  

Anyone on a 2018 Rift Zone-img_20190728_092804.jpg  

Anyone on a 2018 Rift Zone-img_20190728_075912.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Iím on a 2019 RZ2 and Iíd say itís a pretty fun ride. It was a fun ride stock but itís an even better ride now with the upgrades. Iím not sure how I feel about the multi trac suspension platform having experienced other
    suspension platforms such as VPP (Santa Cruz), DW-Link (Ibis and Pivot), FSR (Specialized) and Maestro (Giant). Itís still some getting used to but it works relatively well with the short travel. I admit that I fall for the arms race in bike components, geometry, and technology and so I go through components and bikes often and so some of these parts were take offs from previous bikes so I didnít have to spend a whole lot. Heres the list so far:

Fox Rythym 34 fork w/130mm travel
    Fox Dpx2 Facotry rear shock (stock 210x50mm)
    Magura MT5 4 piston brakes
    WTB Asym i35 custom wheelset w/Chris King ISO B rear hub
    Ibis 760mm carbon fiber handlebar
    150mm dropper (Giant contact)
    Sunrace 11-46 cassette (running w/stock 30t chainring)
    Maxxis DHF 2.5 WT (front @ 21 psi)
    Maxxis Aggressor 2.3 (rear @24 psi)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone on a 2018 Rift Zone-5291ccb8-f275-42e1-8481-4cd05bff0c7f.jpeg  

Anyone on a 2018 Rift Zone-0f00f303-c804-4b95-9373-c08cb5e20d6e.jpg  

Last edited by C.james11Bravo; 08-08-2019 at 11:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Are you still running the stock derailleur with the Sunrace 11-46?

How much room do you have in the rear for the back tire?
    There seems to be lots of room up front but not so in back. Looks like some of the 2.6's out there might have an issue.

Thank for the info in advance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by sjroland View Post

There seems to be lots of room up front but not so in back. Looks like some of the 2.6's out there might have an issue.

I've got a decent amount of breathing room in the back with a 2.5" Aggressor WT.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by sjroland View Post

Yes, running stock NX rd. Only a very minor adjustment was needed. When I say minor, I mean that I only had to turn the barrel adjuster on the shifter probably 1/4 turn. Shifts crisp and flawless.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by copylatte View Post
    Crank arms = 688 grams
    Steel 30T = 136 grams

Not a weight weenie but definitely an inexpensive way to drop 100 to 300 or more grams is a new aluminum chainring and crank...approx 1/2 to 3/4 lbs....or more depending on your choices....

Also noted that my stock handlebars have a caution sticker that states: not recommended for downhill competition, stunts, or aggressive off road riding.

I switched them out....
    Iím not sure what crankset came oem for your bike, however, the FSA comet that came on my RZ2 was just about the same weight as yours. I just replaced the oem FSA comet modular crankset and bottom bracket on my RZ2 with a Truvativ descendant eagle with SRAM dub bottom bracket and the over all weights were:

FSA comet crankset (30t/steel chainring) w/bottom bracket = 980g
    Truvativ descendant Eagle (32t/steel chainring) w/SRAM dub BB = 705g

Thats a good 275g (Almost a 3/4 lb) reduction. I have an aluminum wolf tooth 30t chainring on the way which should help lighten this set up to almost a 1lb weight reduction.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Excellent! Glad you saved some weight! I still haven't switched out mine but hopefully soon....

One issue I've run into on the RZ1 is the rear axle setup. Unfortunately the QR that is used with modified ends is just not strong enough for aggressive riding. In a few weeks of riding, mine is bent pretty significantly and in hard cornering my brake pads rub against the rotor....so will need to replace rear wheel or at least hub and put a through bolt in it. Just glad the frame is made for it but kinda disappointed that it wasn't included (even on low end model)...for the price I can't complain too much though...😁

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by flynby View Post
    I put the works 1.5 headset on mine. Dropped bb 17mm with 130mm fork. I do plan to upgrade to 150 fork as soon as I can. Love the headset so far.

I quoted flynby but just general questions for all..

What works 1.5 headset it is? The specs I mean EC vs ZS, size etc... I'm assuming if I get that info I can figure out the CC AngleSet equivalent. I have a 2019 and Cane Creek only has up to 2017 on the Rift Zone database. ..

I plan on putting a 140mm Fox Rhythm 34 on it but would like to return geometry (BB height etc) back near stock (obviously will be slacker). 1 degree or 1.5 degree better? Any thoughts on Cane Creek vs Works? I am on this side of the Pond (USA) and CC is easier to get usually but pricing maybe a wash...

In general What are the size specs for the stock headset on a 2019? My own Recon RL shock off the 2019 RZ1 started clicking and is currently getting evaluated by SRAM.. Does anyone the size / model of the stock crown race?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Stock wheelset on RZ1 is pretty heavy at 2410 grams on my scale (with rear skewer). Put some lighter wheels on and definitely feel the difference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone on a 2018 Rift Zone-image000000_07.jpg