2020 RZ/HH Oval Chainring- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2020

2020 RZ/HH Oval Chainring

I'm looking at trying an oval chainring on my RZ3 and was hoping it would be a simple swap. As I've researched a little, I'm realizing that it's going to take more effort, and may not be feasible at all. Here's a couple of the challenges:

• FSA Grid Crank is a Cannondale Pattern
    • Cannondale Offset is slightly different
    • Will teeth on the Cannondale ring mate with the Shimano chain?

I'm sure there are other potential issues as well, so with that said, has anyone successfully transitioned to an oval chainring on the RZ or HH?

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Well, I had to figure out a solution myself and here's what I came up with. Parts are ordered and I hope to have them installed in the next couple weeks.

SRAM GX Eagle Crank
    SRAM DUB BSA 73mm BB
    AbsoluteBlack SRAM Oval Boost DM Chainring for Hyperglide+ Chain
    Shimano XTR CN-M9100 12spd Chain

The XTR Chain should be an upgrade over the existing KMC and play well with my XT Cassette. Fingers crossed it all goes together well.

NedwannaB
    Were you not able to find a n/w oval ring for the FSA crankset? Aren't they direct mount? As for chain I don't see why it be any different fitment on a round vs an oval?

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    The CS at AbsoluteBlack was able to identify a chainring that would work, but the offset wasn't correct. They also couldn't answer how the Hypderglide+ chain would interact with the teeth on the cannondale ring. I opted for the more expensive, but what I thought to be the safer route for compatibility. Time will tell.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by areeves08 View Post
    The CS at AbsoluteBlack was able to identify a chainring that would work, but the offset wasn't correct. They also couldn't answer how the Hypderglide+ chain would interact with the teeth on the cannondale ring. I opted for the more expensive, but what I thought to be the safer route for compatibility. Time will tell.
    Subscribed to thread thinking the HH I am looking at had same FSA crank as your RZ. Turns out the HH2 has a SRAM SX(ugh?...)DM crankset so pretty genaric I'm assuming if I want to switch to oval, unless I go full tilt and upgrade to a complete new setup. Meanstwhilst....I have new Shimano 11 spd XTR/XT parts awaiting in boxes for a drivetrain/brake upgrade. 😎👍

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I have a 2019 rift zone and put the cannondale size/spec oval on my bike with fsa crank direct mount. It fits perfect and has the same feel as my other bikes with ovals but they are 104 bcd.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    I'm glad it worked out for you. I wasn't willing to take the chance. I'm waiting on a BB Tool right now, but will get everything installed as soon as I have it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    I finally got everything assembled this week and put about 27 miles on the bike this weekend. Everything works great together. The pedal stroke did not feel much different to me, but I didn't have the opportunity for any significant climbing. The one thing that really stood out was the ability to pedal backwards without the chain jumping all over the cassette and the general silence of the XTR Chain. Pedaling backwards isn't a huge thing, but I do it occasionally, and it's nice that the chain stays on the correct ring. If the trails dry, I'll give climbing a go to compare with the stock chainring. If anyone cares, 116 is the number, so if you order the shorter XTR chain, you don't have to mess with the length.
    Last edited by areeves08; 02-04-2020 at 06:06 AM.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by areeves08 View Post
    I finally got everything assembled this week and put about 27 miles the the bike this weekend. Everything works great together. The pedal stroke did not feel much different to me, but I didn't have the opportunity for any significant climbing. The one thing that really stood out was the ability to pedal backwards without the chain jumping all over the cassette and the general silence of the XTR Chain. Pedaling backwards isn't a huge thing, but I do it occasionally, and it's nice that the chain stays on the correct ring. If the trails dry, I'll give climbing a go to compare with the stock chainring. If anyone cares, 116 is the number, so if you order the shorter XTR chain, you don't have to mess with the length.
    I like the ovals. I don't really notice while flat out pedaling only thing I notice is movement of shimano clutch rr derailleur when oiling chain and that ever so slight traction help you get grinding up on some tight or steep sections where you get confidence when knowing you're about to spin past the long spot of the oval to get you over the feature.👍😎