2020 Rift Zone Details and Hawk Hill 3 Color- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2019

2020 Rift Zone Details and Hawk Hill 3 Color

I spoke with my Marin dealer. The Rift Zone is going to be redesigned for 2020. It is going to be slacker in line with the Hawk Hill. He also said the seat post is going to be more upright. The drive train will most likely be Eagle SX to SLX 12 speed. Right now Marin is in the planning stages with concept art and hopefully the bike will be ready by the end of the year. Not sure about the fork at this point. It could be a Bomber Z2 as companies like Orbea are using them now

As for the Hawk Hill 3, the color is said to be Black with Purple and Yellow. It follows the same vein as Matt Jones customer Alcatraz.

If I hear more, I will let you know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Figured that would happen. Would be sweet to see the Rift Zone as a 140/130 trail 29er, which would certainly be a step in the right direction, especially if they can keep the price ranges the same.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I called Marin directly last month and asked about the 2020 RZ and if it was going to be updated or largely remain the same. Along with what willmbrk said about the geometry, they also said that travel will increase to 130mm up front and 0.5 (or 5mm, can't remember) in the rear. The rep also said that they will be coming out with a carbon version as well. This sounds just about right considering Matt Cipes is the product manager (That came from Specialized) and is doing great things at Marin. Now that it's been a few years and he has a baseline for all the models as well as market/rider feedback, he is able to update and work his magic for the lineup. I'll be excited to see the geometry changes (especially the steeper seat tube angle).

On a side note, I have a 2019 RZ2 and I've have had the best time on this bike than almost any other FS 29er (and 27.5) bike I've ridden or owned in the past (Giant Anthem/XTC/Reign, Specialized Stumpjumper/Enduro/Camber, Trek Rumblefish/Fuel/Remedy, Santa Cruz Bronson/5010).

I have done the following that might have something to do with how great it handles and rides:

Fox Rythym fork 130mm
    Fox Dpx2 rear shock
    WTB Asym i35 wheelset
    Chris King ISO B rear hub
    Magura MT5 4 piston brakes F&R
    11-46 Cassette w/stock 30t chainring

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    The Rift Zone definitely seems to achieve a whole that is greater than the sum of its parts. Seems to be true of all of the recent Marin lineup on the lower end.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Also, the Rift zone will be offered in Carbon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by willmbrk View Post
    Also, the Rift zone will be offered in Carbon.
    there have been carbon RZ models in the past. i think latest was 2016 or 2017?? but i haven't found much written about them one way or the other.
    I bet you'd do the same if they was you!

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    No real details yet, but it is confirmed to be coming. Also, the Hawk Hill 2 will have a SX 1X12 and the Hawk Hill 3 is supposed to get SLX 1X12 with a Bomber Z2 fork with SLX 3 piston brakes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by willmbrk View Post
    I spoke with my Marin dealer. The Rift Zone is going to be redesigned for 2020. It is going to be slacker in line with the Hawk Hill. He also said the seat post is going to be more upright. The drive train will most likely be Eagle SX to SLX 12 speed. Right now Marin is in the planning stages with concept art and hopefully the bike will be ready by the end of the year. Not sure about the fork at this point. It could be a Bomber Z2 as companies like Orbea are using them now

As for the Hawk Hill 3, the color is said to be Black with Purple and Yellow. It follows the same vein as Matt Jones customer Alcatraz.

If I hear more, I will let you know.
    Any more news on this? Iíve got the green light to buy a new bike and am wondering if the new Rift Zone might be available soon (I.e within my window)?

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by LargoPQ View Post
    Any more news on this? Iíve got the green light to buy a new bike and am wondering if the new Rift Zone might be available soon (I.e within my window)?
    I asked last week as I was ordering a specific part for the bike and the rep told me that they should be announcing the new 2020ís on their website ďat the end of the month, or relatively soonĒ. Iíve been checking Marinís website everyday since 😂

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Marin website will be updated September 1st. The bikes are shipping out now. My Marin dealer is upset because they do not even know what the rest of the bikes will look like.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Thanks so much! Will see if I can remain patient