2020 Rift Zone Details and Hawk Hill 3 Color- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2019

2020 Rift Zone Details and Hawk Hill 3 Color

I spoke with my Marin dealer. The Rift Zone is going to be redesigned for 2020. It is going to be slacker in line with the Hawk Hill. He also said the seat post is going to be more upright. The drive train will most likely be Eagle SX to SLX 12 speed. Right now Marin is in the planning stages with concept art and hopefully the bike will be ready by the end of the year. Not sure about the fork at this point. It could be a Bomber Z2 as companies like Orbea are using them now

As for the Hawk Hill 3, the color is said to be Black with Purple and Yellow. It follows the same vein as Matt Jones customer Alcatraz.

If I hear more, I will let you know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Figured that would happen. Would be sweet to see the Rift Zone as a 140/130 trail 29er, which would certainly be a step in the right direction, especially if they can keep the price ranges the same.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I called Marin directly last month and asked about the 2020 RZ and if it was going to be updated or largely remain the same. Along with what willmbrk said about the geometry, they also said that travel will increase to 130mm up front and 0.5 (or 5mm, can't remember) in the rear. The rep also said that they will be coming out with a carbon version as well. This sounds just about right considering Matt Cipes is the product manager (That came from Specialized) and is doing great things at Marin. Now that it's been a few years and he has a baseline for all the models as well as market/rider feedback, he is able to update and work his magic for the lineup. I'll be excited to see the geometry changes (especially the steeper seat tube angle).

On a side note, I have a 2019 RZ2 and I've have had the best time on this bike than almost any other FS 29er (and 27.5) bike I've ridden or owned in the past (Giant Anthem/XTC/Reign, Specialized Stumpjumper/Enduro/Camber, Trek Rumblefish/Fuel/Remedy, Santa Cruz Bronson/5010).

I have done the following that might have something to do with how great it handles and rides:

Fox Rythym fork 130mm
    Fox Dpx2 rear shock
    WTB Asym i35 wheelset
    Chris King ISO B rear hub
    Magura MT5 4 piston brakes F&R
    11-46 Cassette w/stock 30t chainring

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    The Rift Zone definitely seems to achieve a whole that is greater than the sum of its parts. Seems to be true of all of the recent Marin lineup on the lower end.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Also, the Rift zone will be offered in Carbon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by willmbrk View Post
    Also, the Rift zone will be offered in Carbon.
    there have been carbon RZ models in the past. i think latest was 2016 or 2017?? but i haven't found much written about them one way or the other.
    I bet you'd do the same if they was you!

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    No real details yet, but it is confirmed to be coming. Also, the Hawk Hill 2 will have a SX 1X12 and the Hawk Hill 3 is supposed to get SLX 1X12 with a Bomber Z2 fork with SLX 3 piston brakes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I spoke with my Marin dealer. The Rift Zone is going to be redesigned for 2020. It is going to be slacker in line with the Hawk Hill. He also said the seat post is going to be more upright. The drive train will most likely be Eagle SX to SLX 12 speed. Right now Marin is in the planning stages with concept art and hopefully the bike will be ready by the end of the year. Not sure about the fork at this point. It could be a Bomber Z2 as companies like Orbea are using them now

As for the Hawk Hill 3, the color is said to be Black with Purple and Yellow. It follows the same vein as Matt Jones customer Alcatraz.

If I hear more, I will let you know.
    Any more news on this? Iíve got the green light to buy a new bike and am wondering if the new Rift Zone might be available soon (I.e within my window)?

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by LargoPQ View Post
    Any more news on this? Iíve got the green light to buy a new bike and am wondering if the new Rift Zone might be available soon (I.e within my window)?
    I asked last week as I was ordering a specific part for the bike and the rep told me that they should be announcing the new 2020ís on their website ďat the end of the month, or relatively soonĒ. Iíve been checking Marinís website everyday since 😂

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Marin website will be updated September 1st. The bikes are shipping out now. My Marin dealer is upset because they do not even know what the rest of the bikes will look like.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Thanks so much! Will see if I can remain patient

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Looks like Vital spotted the 2020 RF3 at Crankworks: https://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/feat...1890/sspomer,2

Bomber Z2, Float DPS, X-Fusion Manic Dropper

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Looks just like the 2019 Hawk Hill 3. Of course it is designed to around the same specs. The rear shock is 5m less than the 2020 Hawk Hill. Marin is now saying late September for release dates. Funny that I know more about the bike than Vital.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Pinkbike just posted the 2020 RF3 spec: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-...-shredder.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Yep about time. Can't wait to see the Carbon Version, SQ frame option, and Hawk Hill colors. September 1st can't come fast enough.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    An interesting video showing the other models for 2020...

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Marin-Rift-...MTB_219362.htm

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Guess I was ahead of the production lines when I upgraded my 2018 RZ2 with a 140mm fork, GX Eagle and 4 piston calipers front/ rear. Nice to see Iím not missing out to much on the newer version other than some Geometry numbers.

The jump to the Fox Float DPS is big though for the production side of things. The last few years itís just been the RockShox Deluxe RT which is just giving you a 2 position compression knob for open/ pedal compared to the Deluxe R that came in the Rift Zone 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Yeah Marin has stepped up big time. Can't wait for my sons 2020 HH2 to arrive.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    So details are up finally on their website. What's everyone think? RF3 still seems like a great deal to me. Can't wait for the carbon version to come out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bvachon29 View Post
    So details are up finally on their website. What's everyone think? RF3 still seems like a great deal to me. Can't wait for the carbon version to come out.
    I already ordered one.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeno View Post
    I already ordered one.

Lucky! I'm eagerly awaiting my shop to get one to get my hands on it.

mtbr member
    I already ordered one.

not seeing any announcements / specs for RZ carbon . what is price on these? any links?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raleigh5 View Post
    not seeing any announcements / specs for RZ carbon . what is price on these? any links?
    I didn't order a carbon one, I ordered the RZ3.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Did anyone notice that the 2020 RF has cs length listed as 425??? and the 2020 HH as 430? How does that make any sense (unless its a typo from 435)?

just ride
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgicklhorn View Post
    Did anyone notice that the 2020 RF has cs length listed as 425??? and the 2020 HH as 430? How does that make any sense (unless its a typo from 435)?
    The RZ is even slacker by 1* compared to HH. Kinda weird. Usually the 27.5 have slacker HA than the 29.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by aflax View Post
    Oooo baby! Spec looks to be expected for the price points. Me thinks the Carbon 1 might have my name on it once it gets released.

For those not wanting to scroll through the bikes.

Carbon 2: https://govvelo.com/collections/mari...-carbon-2-2020

Carbon 1: https://govvelo.com/collections/mari...29527793500221

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Looks like it's a $850 up charge (RZ3 alloy = 2650 to RZ1 carbon = 3500) for carbon with the same part spec. The RZ2 carbon looks rad, and nice to see they're using a microspline hub and SLX cassette rather than sunrace, but $4300 seems pretty steep.....

mtbr member
    Looks like it's a $850 up charge (RZ3 alloy = 2650 to RZ1 carbon = 3500) for carbon with the same part spec. The RZ2 carbon looks rad, and nice to see they're using a microspline hub and SLX cassette rather than sunrace, but $4300 seems pretty steep.....
    i think i would be leaning toward a YT Jeffsy CF Comp at ~$3500 or the YT Jeffsy CF Pro at ~$4000 if i was looking for CF in this price range. But actually, i dont think you can lose with any of these bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Looks like the Carbon RZ models are no longer viewable....... guess we got an accidental sneak peak!

https://govvelo.com/search?type=product&q=rift%20zone*

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I ordered a RZ 3 last week, i was told at least 6 weeks lead time. Apparently there is an issue with one particular component (My dealer was not told which one) not being ready. I'm very curious to see what brakes I end up with, The PB posted pics show a mid perch deore level lever but the specs on Marin's site claim Shimano MT420 which I think are lower level items. Gonna be a long wait...

mtbr member
    Looks like the Carbon RZ models are no longer viewable....... guess we got an accidental sneak peak!

https://govvelo.com/search?type=product&q=rift%20zone*
    I got asked to remove my pictures of the carbon Rift Zones from the Facebook group. I don't know the reasoning or legalities of it, but I kinda think it would be better to announce the entire line of bikes all at once. I probably would have been tempted to get the carbon model if I had seen it before I ordered the RZ3.

Quote Originally Posted by lolaralph View Post
    I ordered a RZ 3 last week, i was told at least 6 weeks lead time. Apparently there is an issue with one particular component (My dealer was not told which one) not being ready. I'm very curious to see what brakes I end up with, The PB posted pics show a mid perch deore level lever but the specs on Marin's site claim Shimano MT420 which I think are lower level items. Gonna be a long wait...
    Aww, man. I was hoping to get it sooner. I sold my Mount Vision, so I'm without a full suspension bike at the moment. Looks like the Pine Mountain and Cortina will be in heavy rotation for a while.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I got asked to remove my pictures of the carbon Rift Zones from the Facebook group. I don't know the reasoning or legalities of it, but I kinda think it would be better to announce the entire line of bikes all at once. I probably would have been tempted to get the carbon model if I had seen it before I ordered the RZ3.

Aww, man. I was hoping to get it sooner. I sold my Mount Vision, so I'm without a full suspension bike at the moment. Looks like the Pine Mountain and Cortina will be in heavy rotation for a while.
    So was I, It figures that I am currently in some of the nicest riding weather my part of the east coast has seen in the last 3 months, LOL.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Giant Trance 3 vs Rift Zone 3 looks like relatively similar specs...posting just for kicks

Both aluminum frames (likely built in the same factory)
    Same fork
    Same suspension (5mm more travel from the Rift Zone)
    Shimano MT 400 vs MT420 brakes
    25mm inner rim vs 29mm inner rim width
    Maxis DHF/DHR 2.3 vs. Vee Flow Snap 2.35
    SX vs SLX
    $2100 vs. $2650

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/trance-29-3-2020
    https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/20-rift-zone-3

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Rift Zone is longer, slacker, steeper STA so it gets my vote. Giant looks like a great deal though. I personally found the climbing on a carbon version to be mediocre. STA on Marin really seems to be in the sweet spot.

mtbr member
    The trance 3 comes with the drive train and similar brakes of the rz2. The trance 3 is best compared to a rz2.5. haha. But, seriously, the overall package is worth the extra price for me.

My friend has the 2019 Trance 29 and it what made me want a rift zone.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    The trance 3 comes with the drive train and similar brakes of the rz2. The trance 3 is best compared to a rz2.5. haha. But, seriously, the overall package is worth the extra price for me.

My friend has the 2019 Trance 29 and it what made me want a rift zone.
    Out of curiosity, why did the Trance 29 make you want to buy the Rift Zone?

Co Springs

The Pine Mtn One (Didn't see the PM or the PM2) is now showing as a 29'r with 2.6 tires and an enduro h-bar set up for bed-roll packing.
    More eyelets too. Maybe I'd get used to the new frame graphics but I like the simpler look to the '16 or '17 - '19. Also, happier with a 27.5 plus.
    Maybe b-packer set ups are in a transition ?

** Update Here is a link showing a PM1 and PM2. Looks like dropper post routing and the narrative on these is more trail handling / trail capable spirit - even commuter but still the camper / packer features. 29 x 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbi_E5XXSXA
    bachman must spread some Reputation around before giving it to himself again. :madman:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LargoPQ View Post
    Out of curiosity, why did the Trance 29 make you want to buy the Rift Zone?
    I'd been thinking of getting a 29er since converting my Pine Mountain to a 29er. I liked the slackened HT angle on the Trance. I looked at the 2019 RZ3, but it had the same HT angle as my Mount Vision. It also was 120/120, and I kinda wanted the 130 that the Euro models were spec'd with. So, when the 2020 RZ3 came out it was pretty much what I was looking for. The SLX 12 speed was a bonus for me as I'm a Shimano guy.

mtbr member
    So I'm kind of on a budget, I've noticed that my rear brakes on my hh1 are not very powerful but I can't really spend the money on new brakes. I heard people just changeing the pads and rotors. What would be a decent rotor? I'm looking to upgrade to a 180 for the rear. Any help would be appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I went SLX brakes and rotors. Work great on my San Quentin.

mtbr member
    I agree with slx, best bang for your buck. $75/set or $150 for both front and rear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Wonder when we will start getting impressions of the new Rift Zones?

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    They are supposed to be out any day. I know that San Diego is having a Marin demo day in 2 weeks where the Rift Zone will be available to ride. I also know what the Hawk Hills are in the US now. The Hawk Hill 2 are on the West Coast and the Hawk Hill 3 are on the East Coast. My son's Hawk Hill 2 should be ready next weekend with my Hawk Hill 3 just a few days after.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    They are supposed to be out any day. I know that San Diego is having a Marin demo day in 2 weeks where the Rift Zone will be available to ride. I also know what the Hawk Hills are in the US now. The Hawk Hill 2 are on the West Coast and the Hawk Hill 3 are on the East Coast. My son's Hawk Hill 2 should be ready next weekend with my Hawk Hill 3 just a few days after.
    When/where in San Diego is the Marin demo? Iím a San Diego local and would be interested in checking it out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Mt. Laguna Trail Fest October 18-20th. Part of Your Best Ride Demo Tour. https://www.yourbestride.bike/wheres-the-van-now

Columbus, GA
    I went ahead and ordered the Hawk Hill 3. I'm not really a big fan of the pink on the frame, but I think I'll get used to it (or I'll vinyl wrap that section maybe). Looking forward to it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Mine should be ready in the next week. My Marin dealer just ordered it. I have pink Raceface Chester pedals and Pink DMR Deathergrips coming as well. My son's HH2 should be in around the same time. We are going more stealth with his, black pedals and grips.

Columbus, GA
    Sweet! I got some blue Chesters for mine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Has anyone ordered a rift zone ? I think iíve been waiting almost 5 weeks for my RZ3 and was told that Marin was going to release the RZ1 then the RZ2 and finally the 3. Iím hoping someone may have ordered a 1 or 2 and actually received their bike, would possibly give me a timeframe of my bikeís arrival date.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Word around town is late October and November. There was a quick leak of the Carbon Rift Zones, but those were pulled. Word on the Carbon ones are summer next year. Marin is so off on their time tables and it is frustrating.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Word around town is late October and November. There was a quick leak of the Carbon Rift Zones, but those were pulled. Word on the Carbon ones are summer next year. Marin is so off on their time tables and it is frustrating.
    Geez, thatís a lot later than I was hoping, but unfortunately itís what I was expecting. I keep telling myself Marin isnít Trek or Specialized and delays would probably be part of the deal. Hopefully the RZ is worth the wait.

mtbr member
    Looks like I'll end up getting my RZ3 just in time for the snow. Haha. It might sit in my garage for while before I get to ride it much.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Looks like I'll end up getting my RZ3 just in time for the snow. Haha. It might sit in my garage for while before I get to ride it much.

that was my exact thought as well, haha

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Just picked up my son's HH2. Man that thing is so freakin fun. My HH3 will be ready Tuesday.

Columbus, GA
    I got mine on Friday. I went on a 12-mile ride yesterday. I felt a little mixed on the bike. It didn't feel as plush as I was hoping even though it seemed like I was using the full travel on the rear shock (I did try it in both the middle and full open settings). I haven't done any tuning to the suspension yet (it was setup initially according to my weight), so hopefully something can be improved there. It does feel more capable at climbing in technical sections than my old bike (2009 Jamis XCT 2.0), due at least in part to the larger wheels, though it felt less efficient. Not sure how I feel about the wide bars, but I didn't really mind them. I may cut them down later. The brakes felt great as did the drivetrain. I was surprised by how heavy the bike is - I weighed it at 33.3 pounds with pedals. I ran it with 23 psi in the front and 25 in the rear, same as my old bike. I may try a little less and see if that helps the ride. It does feel better the harder you push it, though, and I love the look of it.

DSC_3406 by Willie D, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Nice. Can't wait to get mine. My pink pedals and grips are in. My son's HH2 is a blast to ride. It really likes to jump. My local bike shop is really great at setting up the suspension correctly. I am going to have them cut the bars to 760 mm as that it what is comfortable. Of course, the stock bars won't stay on too long.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rcmaster1029 View Post
    I got mine on Friday. I went on a 12-mile ride yesterday. I felt a little mixed on the bike. It didn't feel as plush as I was hoping even though it seemed like I was using the full travel on the rear shock (I did try it in both the middle and full open settings). I haven't done any tuning to the suspension yet (it was setup initially according to my weight), so hopefully something can be improved there. It does feel more capable at climbing in technical sections than my old bike (2009 Jamis XCT 2.0), due at least in part to the larger wheels, though it felt less efficient. Not sure how I feel about the wide bars, but I didn't really mind them. I may cut them down later. The brakes felt great as did the drivetrain. I was surprised by how heavy the bike is - I weighed it at 33.3 pounds with pedals. I ran it with 23 psi in the front and 25 in the rear, same as my old bike. I may try a little less and see if that helps the ride. It does feel better the harder you push it, though, and I love the look of it.

DSC_3406 by Willie D, on Flickr
    As I wait for my RZ 3 these comments concern me a bit. I am really hoping for decent suspension, especially after hearing the reviews on the Bomber Z2. Hopefully some tuning will help. The weight seems a little on the heavy side as well, especially with my 29Ē wheels.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I run a Z2 on my San Quentin and it is awesome. My son's HH is so much fun and really does not feel or ride heavy at all. Yes the Z2 can be an issue if not tuned correctly. I had the same problem. I had my shop tune my Z2 on my San Quentin and it rides like a dream now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I run a Z2 on my San Quentin and it is awesome. My son's HH is so much fun and really does not feel or ride heavy at all. Yes the Z2 can be an issue if not tuned correctly. I had the same problem. I had my shop tune my Z2 on my San Quentin and it rides like a dream now.
    That is good to know, thanks for posting. When you say ďtuneĒ, what did your shop do to the Z2 ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    They set the fork to my weight, but they also set the handlebars and seat. They also checked my posture to make sure I was riding correctly. Now everything is set perfect for me. I don't even need to use tokens. Also, as for the weight of the HH, take the tubes out. They are pretty heavy.

Columbus, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by lolaralph View Post
    As I wait for my RZ 3 these comments concern me a bit. I am really hoping for decent suspension, especially after hearing the reviews on the Bomber Z2. Hopefully some tuning will help. The weight seems a little on the heavy side as well, especially with my 29Ē wheels.
    Take what I've said with a grain of salt. I think I just need to spend some time on it and get it set up properly. As for the weight I don't think it really feels that heavy riding it, I just didn't expect it to weigh this much. Apparently the tires are pretty heavy, though, so you could probably take at least a pound off with different tires. And I'm not saying the suspension was bad, I was just expecting it to be more of a change over my old bike. I think I also need to try lower psi in the tires.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Yeah that's weird. Everyone who has ridden my son's HH2 has been amazed by it. When I get my HH3, I will give it a full test.

Columbus, GA
    Yeah that's weird. Everyone who has ridden my son's HH2 has been amazed by it. When I get my HH3, I will give it a full test.
    That's good to hear - I do look forward to hearing your thoughts on the HH3 once you get it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rcmaster1029 View Post
    Take what I've said with a grain of salt. I think I just need to spend some time on it and get it set up properly. As for the weight I don't think it really feels that heavy riding it, I just didn't expect it to weigh this much. Apparently the tires are pretty heavy, though, so you could probably take at least a pound off with different tires. And I'm not saying the suspension was bad, I was just expecting it to be more of a change over my old bike. I think I also need to try lower psi in the tires.
    That is all good news, thanks