2020 Rift Zone 3 good upgrade option from older Mount Vision?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

2020 Rift Zone 3 good upgrade option from older Mount Vision?

I'm on a 2012 mount vision 8 that has had most major components progressively upgraded, so it's pretty sorted compared to when it was new.
    Still, I'd like to move to a newer bike with modern standards that might be able to give me a bit more confidence. My main concern is whether the single pivot suspension and less travel have any significant downsides. One thing I really love about the mount vision is how planted the back wheel is in technical climbs and how well it takes care of trail chatter (running a Manitou Mcleod).

Can anyone shed some light on such things?

mtbr member
    I had a 2013 Mount Vision, then went to a 2015 Mount Vision and now have a 2020 Rift Zone. You are going to experience an extreme change in geometry. You are also moving from a 26er to a 29er. Head tube slacked from 67.5 to 65.5. The weight of the 29 tire on the 2020 RZ might be a surprise to you. An in-between choice could be the Hawk Hill. Hawk hill has 66.5 HTA and 27.5 tires. The Rift Zone will definitely be a slower handling, less playful ride than that XM8, but it is stable at speeds.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm actually looking for something that feels different - more stability and less skitter over rock gardens and the like. I'm not one to drop money just for the heck of it.

So I did a 10 minute urban ride at my LBS on a RZ3. Cockpit felt great, handling felt fine, the only thing that stuck out is that the bike felt slightly heavier and I couldn't get as much pop off curbs by compressing the suspension. However the trails I ride don't have many features where you can do that. LBS only had a Hawk hill 1, owner said there isn't much demand for them except as starter/kids bikes. If I buy the RZ it will be leaving the store with a DHF and Dissector and then tubeless as soon as I get home.

((I am a bit curious about you going from a 2013 to 2015 Mount Vision. Was that not a step backward in terms of suspension?)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertride View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm actually looking for something that feels different - more stability and less skitter over rock gardens and the like. I'm not one to drop money just for the heck of it.

So I did a 10 minute urban ride at my LBS on a RZ3. Cockpit felt great, handling felt fine, the only thing that stuck out is that the bike felt slightly heavier and I couldn't get as much pop off curbs by compressing the suspension. However the trails I ride don't have many features where you can do that. LBS only had a Hawk hill 1, owner said there isn't much demand for them except as starter/kids bikes. If I buy the RZ it will be leaving the store with a DHF and Dissector and then tubeless as soon as I get home.

((I am a bit curious about you going from a 2013 to 2015 Mount Vision. Was that not a step backward in terms of suspension?)
    Two reasons for getting the 2015 Mount Vision. First reason was my 2013 was a medium and felt a little small. The 2015 was a Large. The second was just to move into a newer frame. The isotrack and now even the multitrac suspension is definitely not as nice as the quad link was, but I thought the 2015 mount Vision pedaled really well. It wasn't the most active suspension for me, especially on the descents. The 2020 RZ with multitrac is way more active and compliant. I'm really happy with the ride. The only negative is having to move the switch on the shock to trail mode on climbs to reduce pedal bob. I never touched the lever on the mount Visions. It's not a big deal for me because my rides are primarily long climbs to the top, then the corresponding rip down to the bottom, so I only have to make the switch once. One the random rolling trail, I generally just leave it in trail mode unless the trail gets really rowdy.

With that said, both the HH3 and RZ3 are really similar with identical build kits, so it's really a matter of choosing between 27.5 or 29 wheels. I do love my RZ3. And good call swapping tires, those stock tires were slow and heavy.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hmm, I noticed the pedaling issue, especially standing. I really wish there was a comparable bike under 3000 USD with a DW or quad link suspension. If Ibis made an alu version of the ripley I'd gladly spend a bit more.

I wonder if a better shock would help - I've never been fond of the mid level fox offerings. Maybe a Mcleod would handle the necessary damping better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertride View Post
    Hmm, I noticed the pedaling issue, especially standing. I really wish there was a comparable bike under 3000 USD with a DW or quad link suspension. If Ibis made an alu version of the ripley I'd gladly spend a bit more.

I wonder if a better shock would help - I've never been fond of the mid level fox offerings. Maybe a Mcleod would handle the necessary damping better.
    I recently added a volume spacer in the shock as recommended by most of the reviews. It does seem to help a little with the pedal bob, but still not as good as a quad link.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    If youre looking for a Marin with a better rear suspension, the Wolf Ridge or Mount Vision might be something to look at.

https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/family/20-wolf-ridge

https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/family/20-mount-vision