Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Ride da mOOn Moderator

flow where ever you go
    Smart looking bikes.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    A Marin rep emailed me that this bike is available now. I can not find it anywhere in the Northeast. I would like to purchase this bike "Pine Mountain 1" but am torn between a 15" and 17" .. Im 5'8" and tend to be shorter in the leg region 30" inseam. I do not want to do a blind purchase. Any suggestions?

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    ask the rep...

mtbr member

2016 Pine Mountain 1 Availability

Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    ask the rep...
    In the Northeast, Marin dealers seem to be few and far between. I called 3 different EMS stores today (2 in NY and 1 in CT) and none would be able to order the Pine Mountain 1 for me. Found a dealer in Manhattan who reached out to Marin and reported that the bike is "SOLD OUT"!!! Marin apparently expects new supplies to come in in 3-4 weeks, so I'll need to follow up towards the end of October.

The big question for me is, assuming a bunch of Pine Mountain 1 bikes have indeed been sold, why is it I have yet to find a single review of the bike anywhere on the Internet or on YouTube?!?

Cheers,
    J.

mtbr member
    We need updates on the PM1

I am wanting to know about rear clearance

mtbr member
    Also - can anyone verify or dispel whether the fork on the release version has a cross brace?

2016 Marin Pine Mountain-1443706034210-pbjxvrulb16t-1890-80.jpg

mtbr member
    After riding a full fatty (Fatback Corvus) I'm stoked on the 27+ idea. That and the PM2 is dead sexy. I'd love to hear some feedback if anyone gets a leg over one of these.
    Overland : Hayduke : Hightower LT : Delirium : Piolet

mtbr member
    It looks like the PM2 is a virtual bike only and doesn't really exist...

NO-ONE has posted anything anywhere on this bike

(I love the B+ thing too)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bonesetter2004 View Post
    It looks like the PM2 is a virtual bike only and doesn't really exist...
    Well, it's listed as a 2016 bike so I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't appear till Spring. Not sure how Marin is with their production; some companies don't do a reveal till they have stock in hand, others do a reveal then bikes don't appear for several months.

dying hurts.
    Also - can anyone verify or dispel whether the fork on the release version has a cross brace?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1443706034210-pbjxvrulb16t-1890-80.jpg 
Views:	2885 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	1022029
    from bikerumor....
    "Expect to see an additional brace across the top of the fork for production as well as side mounts on the legs however."

mtbr member
    Glad I did not wait... I've been able to enjoy my new Ice Cream Truck Ops for some weeks already. I'd still be threading water on the forums had I decided to wait for Marin to get its act together.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Any update on these? I don't even know how to buy one, their website won't tell me.

mtbr member
    It would put me off seeing PM's total lack of input anywhere for this bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Junglejay View Post
    Glad I did not wait... I've been able to enjoy my new Ice Cream Truck Ops for some weeks already. I'd still be threading water on the forums had I decided to wait for Marin to get its act together.
    That looks like a cool bike, but the price isn't even close. I can't afford that.

mtbr member
    Not sure whether there's still stock, but Surly has a sick sale going on - Get ‘em while they’re fat. | Blog | Surly Bikes

$1,199 for an ICT Ops is a great price for a fantastic machine! That's $651 less than the price I paid!!

mtbr member
    The Pugs at $899 is also a nice alternative to the PM if you don't want to wait...

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    when people say wait....What are we waiting for? How long? I can't get an answer from any Marin reps. Basically getting "give me a deposit and I don't know when"

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GPcruiser View Post
    when people say wait....What are we waiting for? How long? I can't get an answer from any Marin reps. Basically getting "give me a deposit and I don't know when"
    The BikeSnob has been writing about it.

mtbr member
    Stopped in at the marin dealer yesterday. I was quoted 899 with availability in May.
    Xethur

mtbr member
    Good grief, that'll be Autumn then

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    F it, I already got a Stache 5. It's awesome.

mtbr member
    Don't wait. Get an Advocate Hayduke. Available and shipping now

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by c_mack9 View Post
    F it, I already got a Stache 5. It's awesome.
    The Stache 5 is easily the better bike I would have thought

(I have a Stache 5)

mtbr member
    I guess it depends on what your looking for. I want a steel rigid bike that fits my CK hubs. The Stache is alum, boost hub sized, and a few hundred more dollars. The Hayduke looks awesome, but it will cost me $1700 more then the Pine Mountain and about $1500 more then the Krampus I'm also looking at. Besides neither the Stache or the Hayduke have a big enough size. I think I can handle riding my decent fattie for a few months longer.
    Xethur

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I also wanted a steel rigid, but I gotta admit with the cushion provided by the tires the ride quality is exceptional and it doesn't weigh 30 pounds.

mtbr member
    Frame material makes zero difference as far as feel goes when you're running semi-fat

mtbr member
    Frame material makes zero difference as far as feel goes when you're running semi-fat
    After riding an alloy semi-fat and a Titanium semi-fat back to back I'll call BS on that one. I could definitely feel a difference.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sdemars View Post
    After riding an alloy semi-fat and a Titanium semi-fat back to back I'll call BS on that one. I could definitely feel a difference.
    What was your tire pressure like? I think you could probably tell a weight difference but I cant imagine being able to tell a difference in the frame material mellowing out vibrations. The Stache 5 has a carbon fork, so that helps with the feel too. Pedaling effeciency is great, I can't imagine the Pine Mountain in steel being better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by c_mack9 View Post
    What was your tire pressure like? I think you could probably tell a weight difference but I cant imagine being able to tell a difference in the frame material mellowing out vibrations. The Stache 5 has a carbon fork, so that helps with the feel too. Pedaling effeciency is great, I can't imagine the Pine Mountain in steel being better.
    Stache was the alloy frame. Tire pressure was measured using a low pressure gauge and set at 13psi for both. Stache was 29+, the Ti was actually a 27+ so theoretically the smaller diameter and the lower volume should have been a bit more harsh. Theory didn't work out this way. The Ti frame was more compliant. FWIW - I was also riding the exact same trails.

I've only ridden one fat bike (Fatback Corvus) but I've heard similar things from folks comparing different fat frames.

I have no idea how the Marin rides, but I think it will likely also be a little different between the two models as they use different steel.

mtbr member
    I agree with sdemars. There is a difference, just like there is a difference between a carbon fs and an alum fs. The stache is a great bike, but it's just not what I'm looking for. I eyeball them every time I go into my favorite LBS. I'll wait for the marin. Well unless I find a good deal on a Surly Krampus frame. Besides I really don't fit on a bike any smaller then 22".
    Xethur

mtbr member
    edit
    Last edited by go-pirates; 02-14-2016 at 06:33 AM.
    "Caught my first tube this morning....sir!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Finally Got One.

2016 Marin Pine Mountain-pine1.jpg

Hell Track
    nice,
    first impression?

mtbr member
    Blimey - The Truth is finally Out There

How did you get your hands on that?

Are these bikes 'out' ??

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A majority of my riding is Sonoran Desert and I have fully ridged Monocog 29 and a Tallboy to compare it to. I have (2) ride so far and a couple of thoughts:
    The Pine1 has ruined my other rides for off camber cornering.
    Not too heavy to throw around, manual or hop.
    Climbs extremely well.
    Mutes the very small trail chatter better than the Tallboy.
    Like a 29er, knowing when to maintain your momentum is key but more so with the Pine1
    Takes a little more effort to get the rotating weight going.
    Seems to scrub speed faster while coasting then the other rides.. More rolling resistance?
    Mechanically good but a couple of ghost shift between 2-3 and intermittent front brake drag.
    Personally I need to change to a chunkier grip like the ODI Ruffian.
    Very fun ride.

I was able to get this one by luck. I have been calling all the local shop and they took my name. I believe the mediums hit about 2 weeks prior but I was looking for a large. Bike came in on 2/25.

mtbr member
    Thanks SC99. That sounds like what I expected. I just picked up my new wheel set for this bike. WTB Asym i35 laced to my old Chris King hubs wrapped in Surly dirt wizards. Hopefully the XXLs will hit the east coast soon.
    Xethur

mtbr member
    At the moment I am stuck between this bike or a Krampus....your thoughts.

I already have a sweet Surly Ogre and really like Surly....but this Marin bike is cool!

mtbr member
    I would check the weight of it first

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Afun View Post
    At the moment I am stuck between this bike or a Krampus....your thoughts.

I already have a sweet Surly Ogre and really like Surly....but this Marin bike is cool!
    I looked at the Krampus as well. I choose the Pine Mountain because Surly didn't have a date for the arrvial of the 2016 frameset and the 2015 is all sold out in my size.
    Last edited by Xethur; 03-23-2016 at 06:47 PM.
    Xethur

mtbr member
    The Krampus is a pretty cool bike. I'm just seeing a bit more value for the price on the Pine Mountain. The Schwalbe tires are tubeless ready and so are the wheels. On the Krampus you have to do some Gorilla tape method to trap the air on the Rabbit Hole rim to secure that fat Surly Knard. Also, the Pine Mountain has Hydraulic Brakes....but the biggest thing I am excited about is that extra low gear with a 42 tooth cassette. I read a review that the bike climbs excellent.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've been having issues with the 11-42 10sp set up. The rear X7 derailleur B Screen keeps working its way around the screw stop. Thus, no tension and the top derailleur cog will drag on gears 1 and 2, plus the chain will make contact with the tire. I've looked, tweaked and adjusted. I was not able to resolve the issue. Took the bike to the shop and they too could not get it to work. In addition, they have another Pine 1 that is have the same issue. Not sure what is wrong. By no means am I a bike mech but in my option, it looks like I keep jarring the B screen off its seat. I have not hit the X7 on anything but maybe the repeated jarring along with the fact that it does not typically reach to accommodate a 42T cog has created my issues. The shop is being very cool. Now we are changing out to the XT M8000 to fix it.

mtbr member
    This is bad news about the gearing. I don't know much about Marin. All I know is every time I see one of their bikes, I stop and admire it. This is a quality assurance issue. Maybe it's just the first few bikes like this.
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Has anyone tried to install a suspension fork on a Pine Mountain 1? I just picked up one for my wife as a bikepacking rig & know from experience on my Krampus that a little squish is nice on the trails I frequent. According to Marin it is suspension corrected for a 100mm travel fork. I measured the axle to the bottom of the headtube at around 500mm, so I'm sure a 120mm fork with sag should work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere (I looked) but has anyone tried squeezing a 29er wheel in the back?

Would be nice to flick back and forth should I feel the need.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Eyeballing the Marin next to my Monocog 29" w/ Conti 2.2, and the 29" looks no taller. I'm confident that it will fit, but have not tried it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dubiousdesigns View Post
    Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere (I looked) but has anyone tried squeezing a 29er wheel in the back?

Would be nice to flick back and forth should I feel the need.
    I just tried a 29er front wheel which fit with plenty of room to spare under the arch. Will try the rear wheel when I have time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mbanzi View Post
    I just tried a 29er front wheel which fit with plenty of room to spare under the arch. Will try the rear wheel when I have time.
    Awesome. Thank you! That was going to be my next question.

This looks like the PERFECT bike for playing silly buggers at the weekend then hooking up the kids-seat/bike-trailer/everything-else for playing with the kids.

mtbr member
    Any update on PM1?
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

mtbr member
    Got my XXL in today on the east coast. With tax it ran $970. I think they are shipping preorders as they are able to. Will post pictures and thoughts tomorrow.
    Xethur

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Xethur View Post
    Got my XXL in today on the east coast. With tax it ran $970. I think they are shipping preorders as they are able to. Will post pictures and thoughts tomorrow.
    Xethur,
    I'm very curious to know if you have the same issue with the B Screw. Keep us posted.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by santacruz99 View Post
    Xethur,
    I'm very curious to know if you have the same issue with the B Screw. Keep us posted.
    Is this the same problem with shifting the 42 tooth cassette ?
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes.

mtbr member
    I can see how that may cause problems. I dealt with a similar problem on my riding buddy's diamondback. I'll tinker with it and see what I can come up with.
    2016 Marin Pine Mountain-20160331_214158-1.jpg

The shifting has been alright. It does need some adjustment, but that's normal for a new bike.

It's still to early to say for sure, but I think I'm really going to enjoy this bike.
    Xethur

mtbr member
    Is it a design problem? Or does swapping out components cure the issue?
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm sure M8000 will solve my issue but I'm still waiting on the shifter. I'll report back once its done and I have some trail time.

Here is mine.. Can't rotate the photo.. Note the B screw.
    2016 Marin Pine Mountain-img_5913.jpg

mtbr member
    Is it a design problem? Or does swapping out components cure the issue?
    Only a handful of bikes have a derailleur hanger designed to handle a 42t cog and its proper sized B screw. You can swap to a smaller cassette to cure the issue. I plan to add some hardware to the screw to enlarge its contact patch.
    Xethur

mtbr member
    Here's my fix for the b screw. I'll let you know of I have any trouble. I did notice that the stop for the b screw is on the derailleur itself instead of the derailleur hanger. So switching the derailleur to a better model may fix the problem.2016 Marin Pine Mountain-marin-b-screw-1.jpg2016 Marin Pine Mountain-marin-b-screw-2.jpg
    Xethur

mtbr member
    Only a handful of bikes have a derailleur hanger designed to handle a 42t cog and its proper sized B screw. You can swap to a smaller cassette to cure the issue. I plan to add some hardware to the screw to enlarge its contact patch.
    That explains a lot, but why launch a bike like this.
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

mtbr member
    That explains a lot, but why launch a bike like this.
    It's a minor detail that easy could have been overlooked in lou of everything else that goes into bicycle construction. Also I noticed that the stop that the b screw rests on is actually part of the Sram X7 derailleur, so its more an sram issue then a marin issue.

Pictures of the PM1
    2016 Marin Pine Mountain-marin-1.jpg2016 Marin Pine Mountain-marin-2.jpg2016 Marin Pine Mountain-marin-3.jpg
    Xethur

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    It's a minor detail that easy could have been overlooked in lou of everything else that goes into bicycle construction. Also I noticed that the stop that the b screw rests on is actually part of the Sram X7 derailleur, so its more an sram issue then a marin issue.

Pictures of the PM1

Name:	Marin 1.jpg 
Views:	7482 
Size:	468.9 KB 
ID:	1061401Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marin 2.jpg 
Views:	1863 
Size:	444.7 KB 
ID:	1061402Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marin 3.jpg 
Views:	682 
Size:	424.2 KB 
ID:	1061403

Great Pics! Every photo on the net this thing looks orange however yours look red!

mtbr member
    That's a trick of the lighting. She's very orange. I actually rather like the color scheme.
    Xethur

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Brilliant!
    I too was looking to increase the contact pad of the B Screw.. However, since 1) I wanted to get into the new M8000 and 2) the shop gave me a great deal on the upgrade, I went for it. I'll probably take the old parts and tinker with them on my son's bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    So the 11spd fits ok?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Which tires did the bike come with? The Marin site says Kenda Havok but some pictures show Nobby Nics.

mtbr member
    Mine came with Kenda Havoks, but the first thing I did was switch the wheels out for some WTB asym i35 wheels and Surly Dirt Wizard tires.
    Last edited by Xethur; 04-04-2016 at 11:56 AM.
    Xethur

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Are the stock wheels and tires tubeless compatible?

mtbr member
    I believe so, but I wouldn't want to fiddle with those wheels. They don't have a good bead seat for tubeless.
    Xethur

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Did that shave any weight? There's isn't any info on the Maddux DD40 that I can find. Also, did you have them custom build? I've been looking on the interwebs but have not found any wheel sets in the B+ that are 135/100 hub spacing.

mtbr member
    Yes they are custom built. I have some Chris King hubs off a retired 29er I wanted to use. I probably didn't shave any weight because Surly tires are heavy. Honestly I've never weighed any of my bikes. I'm a 240lbs Clyde, that likes steel bikes, and I destroy expensive lightweight parts. I'm much more interested in how a part performs. Alright rant done.

Thus far the WTB asyms and Surly Dirt Wizards have been awesome. cornering traction for days, easy tubeless setup, and no noticeable flex.
    Xethur

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I've been having issues with the 11-42 10sp set up. The rear X7 derailleur B Screen keeps working its way around the screw stop. Thus, no tension and the top derailleur cog will drag on gears 1 and 2, plus the chain will make contact with the tire. I've looked, tweaked and adjusted. I was not able to resolve the issue. Took the bike to the shop and they too could not get it to work. In addition, they have another Pine 1 that is have the same issue. Not sure what is wrong. By no means am I a bike mech but in my option, it looks like I keep jarring the B screen off its seat. I have not hit the X7 on anything but maybe the repeated jarring along with the fact that it does not typically reach to accommodate a 42T cog has created my issues. The shop is being very cool. Now we are changing out to the XT M8000 to fix it.
    So after reading this and the rest of this thread I saw on the SRAM site that the X7 lists the largest cog being capable of taking is a 36. Perhaps could write to Marin and have them swap it out?

mtbr member
    The reason Marin went with the x7 was to reduce cost. The only derailleurs rated for a 42t are 11 speed setups. If it helps any, my shifting has been smooth as butter since I tuned it in and added the nuts to the b screw. I did decide to swap out the x5 shifter so I have a x9 shifter on the way.

Overall I'm very happy with the pine mountain. I've been riding fat only for a while now. With the fat bike on dirt it always feels like I'm going too fast. Like I'm pushing the bike to its limit. On the pine mountain it feels like I'm not going fast enough. I'm really looking forward to seeing how far I can push this bike.
    Xethur

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    The reason Marin went with the x7 was to reduce cost. The only derailleurs rated for a 42t are 11 speed setups. If it helps any, my shifting has been smooth as butter since I tuned it in and added the nuts to the b screw. I did decide to swap out the x5 shifter so I have a x9 shifter on the way.

Overall I'm very happy with the pine mountain. I've been riding fat only for a while now. With the fat bike on dirt it always feels like I'm going too fast. Like I'm pushing the bike to its limit. On the pine mountain it feels like I'm not going fast enough. I'm really looking forward to seeing how far I can push this bike.
    Great to hear Xethur! I've put my order in for one and am just trying to get ahead of any kinks I need to work out :-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    To report back I'm on the XT M8000 cassette, shifter and derailleur. It fits and I haven't had any issues; (5) rides and 100+ miles. However, the shop had to use a spacer between the drive side of the BB and the crank to move the chain line out. This could be typical for a 63/78 BB and non-boost 135 rear but I'm not sure. Again, I have not had any problems or rubbing but I have little space between the tire and the chain at the 42 cog. So, if I wanted to go bigger than the 2.8 tire, the chain may rub on the tire or I need to move the chain line out again with another spacer.
    For the ride, very fun. Takes greater effort for me to keep the double bounce under control.. And I say double bounce because I do not know what else to call it. Its the initial compression from the trail and then the side wall of the tire reacting. The lower pressure does tame this quite a bit but then I feel my side wall collapse on an aggressive lean and the higher pressure seems to be the less of two evils for now. Regardless, these are not issues but more of a learning curve for me personally and I am posting respectable times that rival some of my personal times on strava.

mtbr member
    I think I'm going with a Krampus. Still a very nice bike. Hope they work out the bugs at factory.
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Can anybody tell me what the BCD is on the cranks? For ordering a new chainring.

mtbr member
    Xethur

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Many thankyou's

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I really want one set up Singlespeed!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Anybody changed over the chainring?

I've been doing some measuring and there's not much space to put something bigger on. Was hoping for a 36 but that doesn't look possible.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    So I asked Marin and they said they've had a 36 on the PM1 but nothing bigger - FYI

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Hi All - Has anyone ordered a medium Pine Mountain 1? If so, how long did you have to wait?

Update - My LBS reached out to Marin and they will not be able to order me one. Very disappointing news. Looks like I'll be waiting for a 2017.
    Last edited by pdorn; 05-10-2016 at 05:14 PM.
    2015 Norco Fluid 7.2

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    So finally got my new PM1 going.

Slight mixup with the online order and it came with some other tires than advertised but the awesome bike shop sent me the proper ones and I mounted them last night.

I'd been riding around on the old ones for a little bit and was used to them, they are some 30tpi, wire bead kenda havoks, weigh 1050g. So heavy b@stards. The new ones are the performance line Nobby Nics in a 3.0 folding. These weigh 890g per tire. Whilst the tread is more aggressive than the Kenda's, and they pump up to 35psi rather than 25 (which I lean towards as I'm doing a bunch of commuting) I gotta say the NN's feel much more lively. I also saved about 100g by changing the standard pedals to some DMR V6's. So round numbers I'm down about 450g with most being at the rotational end of things. Am now thinking i'll get some Rocket Ron liteskins and save another 400g from the tires.

Am loving the bike. Next changes are going to be a bigger chainring, perhaps the 36 as i mention above.

Here she is pre-tire change and with a comparison shot:
    https://goo.gl/photos/WPknwLNefD6TG8LT8

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I have Marin PM1 and want to upgrade the X7 to a XT 11 Speed. Is the stock rear hub 11 Speed compatible?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes. I'm running the M8000 cassette and derailleur.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Great thanks. The X7 is just not right for this setup. The design is flawed as the B-Screw is going past the stop.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My issue as well. I could bomb down a hill and rattle the B around the stop. Needs a larger foot print in my option. I've seen some people add hardware, nut and washer, to the end of the B screw to prevent it from working its way around. Looks like it would work but I was already committed to the M8000.

mtbr member
    I saw my first Pine Mountain today and I'm in love! Still concerned about shifting all the way up to the 42 tooth. I will test drive tomorrow and probably buy it.
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserker26 View Post
    So finally got my new PM1 going.

Slight mixup with the online order and it came with some other tires than advertised but the awesome bike shop sent me the proper ones and I mounted them last night.

I'd been riding around on the old ones for a little bit and was used to them, they are some 30tpi, wire bead kenda havoks, weigh 1050g. So heavy b@stards. The new ones are the performance line Nobby Nics in a 3.0 folding. These weigh 890g per tire. Whilst the tread is more aggressive than the Kenda's, and they pump up to 35psi rather than 25 (which I lean towards as I'm doing a bunch of commuting) I gotta say the NN's feel much more lively. I also saved about 100g by changing the standard pedals to some DMR V6's. So round numbers I'm down about 450g with most being at the rotational end of things. Am now thinking i'll get some Rocket Ron liteskins and save another 400g from the tires.

Am loving the bike. Next changes are going to be a bigger chainring, perhaps the 36 as i mention above.

Here she is pre-tire change and with a comparison shot:
    https://goo.gl/photos/WPknwLNefD6TG8LT8

How does this bike ride on pavement?
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    How does this bike ride on pavement?
    Commute is 30km each way. On my cross bike with Continental 28 GP4 Seasons I average about 27-28kph, 30 on a day with decent wind. On the PM1 with 3.0 Nobby Nic's I average usually 23-25. And I am more tired after the ride, i suspect this will fade when i get used to the position a bit more. Ride time on the Cross bike usually 1.14, maybe 1.10 on a good day. On the PM1 I got 1.21 today, but usually like 1.25, so maybe an average of 11 mins slower. I do suspect that all this hard work on the PM1 will yield results when I get back on the cross bike and I'll be a bit quicker.

In 'feel' related terms, the wind has a big bearing on my speed, moreso than usual. Also the jumps between cogs, am considering a praxis 10-40 as the spread looks to be better. I sometimes get a nice tailwind and i'm in top gear and spinning my guts out, i'm actually in the top 3-4 gears most of the time, like 99% of the time. Marin said a 36 would fit on the front, so think will do that too.

Today the effing seatpost kept going down, have just emailed Marin about it. I tightened the hell out of it on my last try but still when down...need to fix this, not fun being out of position for most of the ride.

One thing I will say is the thing is fun, it's awesome tucking in behind somebody and them hearing the big tires shouting at them, especially when they're on a race bike. I jump the curbs, ride over the grass, makes me fell like the king.

Any more questions fire away.

mtbr member
    The PM1 is coming with Kenda Havoks....they look nice, but I don't think they are Tubeless ready.
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

mtbr member
    Well here she is, and she's pretty awesome! Removed original B screw, drilled out a bigger hole, and added a nice new screw with a washer/nut. It's still a pretty big jump for the X7 to the 42 tooth, but it gets there. This bike is simple and unique. Looking forward to some upgrades. Will take another pic with some of these changes.

Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

mtbr member
    Are the Kenda's on my PM1 Tubeless? Or is it just the wheels?
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Just picked up a lightly used PM2 for $2K.

This will be my ONLY trail bike with bikepacking aspirations. Added a carbon low-riser bar, ergon grips and syntace stem. Switched out the trailblazers for a purgatory (f) and ground control (r). LOVE the XT 1x11 and Fox Float 34.

This bike is just oh-so-comfory and literal floats over all measures of terrain. Not to mention it's just plain ol' stunning to look at!

2016 Marin Pine Mountain-pm2.jpg
    2016 Marin Pine Mountain-pm3.jpg

mtbr member
    Love this PM1! Just made this internal frame bag for bikepacking. Only mods are dropping to a 30t chainring, and of course some Ergon grips. Bring on the summer, so I can get out camping on this thing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016 Marin Pine Mountain-imag02179.jpg  

mtbr member
    Haha, wait a minute, I think the guy above me, Zirkel, is who I bought my PM1 from.

mtbr member
    Still waiting on titanium bars. Still don't know if 27.5 is for me though. Cool pedals half flat half clipless.

Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

mtbr member
    Yes. I'm running the M8000 cassette and derailleur.

Were these the only drivetrain components you had to swap out? I torqued and bent my largest gear on cassette this week, and would like to fix the gearing issue so I'm not worrying about reliability.

mtbr member
    Here's a shot of mine. Got it about 2 weeks ago now.
    2016 Marin Pine Mountain-pm1overlook.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by confusiontactic View Post
    Here's a shot of mine. Got it about 2 weeks ago now.

Name:	PM1overlook.jpg 
Views:	2539 
Size:	490.4 KB 
ID:	1075935
    How do you like it? I think the Kenda's are holding up great. The bike is not as lively as my Surly Ogre, but still good. I like the way it grips on the loose chunky gravel.

I'm dropping to a Wolftooth 30 tooth stainless chainring. I am also in the process if removing most of the black. Titanium bars, silver post, silver gips, natural saddle, titanium colored brake and shift lines, Pewter Chris King headset. I will post when I finish it this week.
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast