Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Has anybody taken the Pine Mountain to a heavy loaded ride?
    I mean heavy panniers on proper racks, front and rear.
    Looking at those thin seat stays I wonder if it can handle heavy weight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by igoriokas View Post
    Has anybody taken the Pine Mountain to a heavy loaded ride?
    I mean heavy panniers on proper racks, front and rear.
    Looking at those thin seat stays I wonder if it can handle heavy weight.
    Look back through this thread. I have bikepacked with the PM1, but not with a heavy load on racks. I doubt it would be an issue, though. This bike is steel, so it should be plenty strong enough.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeno View Post
    Look back through this thread. I have bikepacked with the PM1, but not with a heavy load on racks. I doubt it would be an issue, though. This bike is steel, so it should be plenty strong enough.
    Skeeno, thanks for the info!

On my last bike tour I had a fully loaded Kona Sutra LTD 2016, also a steel frame supposedly designed for touring, but with such heavy load the bike was very wobbly, on the verge of unsafe to ride.
    2016 Marin Pine Mountain-screen-shot-2017-11-09-7.56.02.jpg

I had about 20kg on the front and 30kg + trailer with 4 y.o. kid in the rear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Hi everyone, What is the max 29er width that can fit in this bike? I'm hoping it could fit a 29x2.6. I'm interested in checking this bike out.

I went through the thread and saw that 29 does fit, but hoping to find out what the max width some of you have tried.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by derekve View Post
    Hi everyone, What is the max 29er width that can fit in this bike? I'm hoping it could fit a 29x2.6. I'm interested in checking this bike out.

I went through the thread and saw that 29 does fit, but hoping to find out what the max width some of you have tried.

Thanks!
    I have a 2016 pm1, it fits fine with 29x2.35s there looks to be enough room to go larger, i think 2.6 29's would work well.

mtbr member
    Does anyone with a pine mountain run 27.5x3.0 tires? I see it comes with 2.8 tires and and I just wanted to see if a 3.0 would fit in the rear.

DFL
    What's the general consensus on the 2018 PM1? I'm looking for a bike for my 15 year old son, and looking at 27.5+ hardtails. How does it descend? It has a steepish HTA compared to some others in the same category. It would see a fair amount of use in the Pisgah and Dupont area of NC.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by echefanthony View Post
    Does anyone with a pine mountain run 27.5x3.0 tires? I see it comes with 2.8 tires and and I just wanted to see if a 3.0 would fit in the rear.
    I have a 2017 Pine Mountain (full rigid, not the PM1) that came with Schwalbe Nobby Nic 3.0 front and rear that fit just fine. They're listed as 2.9 on Marin's site, but the sidewall reads 3.0.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by narcoleptic View Post
    I have a 2017 Pine Mountain (full rigid, not the PM1) that came with Schwalbe Nobby Nic 3.0 front and rear that fit just fine. They're listed as 2.9 on Marin's site, but the sidewall reads 3.0.
    I'm sure its the same frame both rigid. I'm mainly concerned about the rear triangle, chainstay. That's where it'll be tight. I contacted Marin and they told me that different tires and rim width will determine if they'll fit. I really like the bike but I want to make sure that plus tires really fit not just 2.8".
    Last edited by echefanthony; 04-28-2018 at 05:14 PM.

mtbr member
    I know this is an older thread but I have a question. I'm going to be ordering a 2018 marin pine mountain rigid, I'm 5,10" 32" inseam. I'll be using it for riding on dirt and gravel roads mostly so not much singletrack. What size should I get the med or large?
    I appreciate any help.

mtbr member
    At 5-10 & 30" inseam I am at the border of medium and large for the Marin Hawk Hill so you may be at the top and bottom of medium and large also for the pine mountain, cant say but with 32" inseam I would think a large. I test rode both the medium and large in the Hawk Hill and for me the medium required the seatpost to be set to high for a comfortable pedaling position which puts you down on your shoulders too much rather than more upright with the large. Ride both sizes at Performance Bike if you can comes down to personal preference. Performance thought I should ride a medium.. glad I didnt listen to them..

mtbr member
    I'm 5'9"ish and have a medium, wish I had a large. I'd go with the large if I did it again.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by broncbuster View Post
    At 5-10 & 30" inseam I am at the border of medium and large for the Marin Hawk Hill so you may be at the top and bottom of medium and large also for the pine mountain, cant say but with 32" inseam I would think a large. I test rode both the medium and large in the Hawk Hill and for me the medium required the seatpost to be set to high for a comfortable pedaling position which puts you down on your shoulders too much rather than more upright with the large. Ride both sizes at Performance Bike if you can comes down to personal preference. Performance thought I should ride a medium.. glad I didnt listen to them..
    I'm 5'9"ish and have a medium, wish I had a large. I'd go with the large if I did it again.

My last bike was a 17 rigid ss 27.5. At first I thought it was ok but it turned out to be too small and I know every bike is different, I was thinking large. I called performance and they said come down and take a med and large bike for a ride. I know it'll help but I figured since you all own pine mountains you'd know from experience. I've been riding a xl specialized hybrid I got for free for the past year and a half, even though its too big I can ride it no problem.

mtbr member
    2016 Marin Pine Mountain-screenshot_2018-05-01-06-53-00.png

mtbr member
    I'd go ride both at performance be sure to set the seat at the height youre comfortable riding at. Better too big of a bike than too small IMO but I dont think a large is going to be too big. Comes down to personal preference though...

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I have a 2018 Pine Mountain. A previous post said that a 29" wheel will fit but I did not see any details regarding rim width and tire size. Can anyone elaborate?

Also, I cannot find any wheelset's with a 141x9mm QR rear and 110x9mm QR front. Am I just not searching hard enough or would I have to have a set built?

mtbr member
    I found an older set of 29 wheels, WTB i19s, that were 9qr front and rear. It might be more difficult to find now since the 9qr front has been replaced with the 15mm axles.

I currently have WTB nanos 2.2 on and there's still room to go bigger. I'll try to take a picture tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Looks like you could easily go 2.35 or 2.40

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Thank you very much. The wheels you linked are 100f/135r hub spacing. My PM is listed as having 110f/141r hub spacing. I cannot find anything with those specs.

DFL
    A boost 148 rear hub will work, provided that it has interchangeable end caps. You will need to get QR end caps.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I was hoping to find prebuilt wheels. If that is not an option, then I think the options are very limited for hubs that have interchangeable end caps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I am running 2.8 in the rear and there is a LOT of room. I am pretty sure most 3.0 tires will fit.

Quote Originally Posted by echefanthony View Post

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Two years in and still loving my PM2!

2016 Marin Pine Mountain-7b856293-fcc7-4f23-9b49-b7b928532379.jpg

Co Springs
    Just over a year on the '17 PM One- that strange shade known as matte red.

As my main do-all, it's done well for everything demanded and can play adventurous duty, rugged tour/hauler ala bike/camp or handle trails well.
    I'm not a racer, ex-racer or pushing the envelope so-to-speak so that's my frame of reference.

As for tire size, the 3.0 were on it new and the question of hauling stuff or heavy loads should be easily demonstrated by a few searches of adventure or bike packing stories.

I happened upon Marin Pine series when looking at most of the popular bikes featured on bikepacking 101 and some looking around shows plenty of history and older versions used on journey's with color schemes going a ways back.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I have a 2018 PM1, and am having a WTB Asym i35 built up with a SRAM 900 rear boost hub. Sram has qr end caps for their 900 hubs. So far I love the bike, but am not in love with the Joytech rear hub that came stock, hence the upgrade. The hubs are one area Marin saved $$ to reach their price point.

It is a lot heavier and more sluggish than my 2017 Diamondback Overdrive Pro that I passed down to my son, but I am hoping it will be a better mule for bikepacking.
    Gman
    2018 Trek Stache 5
    2018 Marin Pine Mountain 1

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    A light set of wheels really transforms the Pine Mountain compared to the strong but very heavy stock wheelset. I am running a set CF rims on I9 hubs and my bike feels fast and lively!

Quote Originally Posted by Grodyman View Post
    I have a 2018 PM1, and am having a WTB Asym i35 built up with a SRAM 900 rear boost hub. Sram has qr end caps for their 900 hubs. So far I love the bike, but am not in love with the Joytech rear hub that came stock, hence the upgrade. The hubs are one area Marin saved $$ to reach their price point.

It is a lot heavier and more sluggish than my 2017 Diamondback Overdrive Pro that I passed down to my son, but I am hoping it will be a better mule for bikepacking.
    Gman

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Just got the WTB i35/SRAM 900 mounted tubeless, and I have to say that the bike feels a lot more lively. I feel a significant rear weight difference between the stock rear wheel/Joytech hub/tube vs the tubeless WTB/Sram setup. Almost wish I would have went carbon, but maybe later, really happy so far.

So far my upgrades are the rear wheel/hub, carbon bars, and a black leather Brooks saddle, sweeeet
    Gman
    2018 Trek Stache 5
    2018 Marin Pine Mountain 1

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by Grodyman View Post
    Just got the WTB i35/SRAM 900 mounted tubeless, and I have to say that the bike feels a lot more lively. I feel a significant rear weight difference between the stock rear wheel/Joytech hub/tube vs the tubeless WTB/Sram setup. Almost wish I would have went carbon, but maybe later, really happy so far.

So far my upgrades are the rear wheel/hub, carbon bars, and a black leather Brooks saddle, sweeeet
    Gman
    Glad it's working out so far. I went carbon bar and black with copper rivets saddle ala watershed all weather treatment. Just did a first bike camp trip and although we were amongst a big fire scare and a bit overwhelmed with hike a bike topography and near 100 degree days, we had a blast and the bike hauls gear with no issues. Had just over 30# on it with a frame and seat bag plus the bar holding a tent/sleeping bag and another mid sized dry bag of goodies.

I hauled about 1 gallon of water but did all with no backpack. That was a primary goal. Weighing it all out later on, I did find the three bags areas to be very evenly weighted, all right about 10#. Thinking the bike overall was 62 to 65 #. Solid and stable on the trails !
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    2016 Marin Pine Mountain-37752288_10213824685824963_6409131511135600640_n.jpg

Jones H-Bars , Having the LBS install a longer rear brake hose .

mtbr member
    Somehow this bike has transformed from a 27+ rigid to a 29 hard tail. I like having the choice of tires and suspension for various terrain and rides.

mtbr member
    Vee Rubber and a set of Blackburns bags for the Katy trail
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016 Marin Pine Mountain-37958082_10213888352616593_6441881607430209536_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndog45 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	37752288_10213824685824963_6409131511135600640_n.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	1209764

Jones H-Bars , Having the LBS install a longer rear brake hose .
    How do you like that h bar? I have one but I'm not sure if I like it more than my Salsa Bend 2.

mtbr member
    KS Eten is a fast easy way to add a dropper for $116.

mtbr member
    I like them better than the stock bars so far is all I know . I haven't rode any dirt yet .

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Does anyone know if the Duro Crux, or any 27.5" x 3.25" tire will fit a pine mountain?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Rear derailleur has finally broke on my 2016 PM1 it just couldn’t handle the 42t.

I want to replace it because my local bike shop is a rip-off joint. Can I simply order a new derailleur put it on in place of the old one and dial it in? Or do I need new cables and shifter? Thinking of getting a shimano if compatible? Question is what one should I get?

mtbr member
    If you get a Shimano, you will need a new shifter.

I'm probably going to get the Shimano slx 1x11 derailleur and shifter with the 11-46 cassette.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    If you get a Shimano, you will need a new shifter.

I'm probably going to get the Shimano slx 1x11 derailleur and shifter with the 11-46 cassette.
    sounds like it'd get expensive fast. Any recommendations for another derailleur I could get and just swap it out and keep the rest of the shifter and cassette? I dont particularly want another x7 because it cant handle the jump to the 42 but I dont know what can?

mtbr member
    The slx 1x11 derailleur, shifter, cassette, and chain is $160 on Jenson. Fairly cheap upgrade, but also more than the $40 that just a new X7 derailleur would cost.

mtbr member
    The slx 1x11 derailleur, shifter, cassette, and chain is $160 on Jenson. Fairly cheap upgrade, but also more than the $40 that just a new X7 derailleur would cost.
    I did it. Upgraded drivetrain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Rigid Fork Options

Hey guys. Been drooling over the 2016 PM 1 since it came out in 2016. When I checked couple of weeks back, the shop that carries them had one PM 1 (with the rigid orange fork) left at the warehouse. Made the mistake of assuming that since it was in the warehouse, people wouldn't purchase it... I was wrong. Someone got it days before I was able to.

That being said, they're offering me a 2018 PM 1 (the one with a RS Recon RL 120mm fork). I'm getting the bike as a second bike (I have a 29er full sus trail bike at home) so I want to put a rigid fork on it; need to know the fork options.

A2C numbers for the Recon are 506mm, surly and salsa rigid forks I've seen are up to 483mm. Any other possible options? Anyone else try putting a rigid fork on their 2018/2017 PM 1?

mtbr member
    What are your intended uses for the Pine Mountain? I ask because unless you are only going to be doing primarily gravel grinding on smooth trails/roads, that rigid fork can beat you up. I swapped to a suspension fork and am much happier now that with the rigid fork.

I didn't mind the rigid when I pretty much only rode it on bike pack trips, but adding the suspension fork made me want to ride it a lot more often.
    Quote Originally Posted by prancisfena View Post
    Hey guys. Been drooling over the 2016 PM 1 since it came out in 2016. When I checked couple of weeks back, the shop that carries them had one PM 1 (with the rigid orange fork) left at the warehouse. Made the mistake of assuming that since it was in the warehouse, people wouldn't purchase it... I was wrong. Someone got it days before I was able to.

That being said, they're offering me a 2018 PM 1 (the one with a RS Recon RL 120mm fork). I'm getting the bike as a second bike (I have a 29er full sus trail bike at home) so I want to put a rigid fork on it; need to know the fork options.

A2C numbers for the Recon are 506mm, surly and salsa rigid forks I've seen are up to 483mm. Any other possible options? Anyone else try putting a rigid fork on their 2018/2017 PM 1?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Well, the bike will be my commuter and gravel grinder so I think a rigid fork might be more apt. That being said, i'll be planning a couple of long rides/bike packing trips within the next 6-8 months so the suspension fork will come in handy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Wanted to post my Pine Mountain 2. I really love this bike

It is medium frame, I am 5,9 31 inseam and it fits great.

2016 Marin Pine Mountain-fi8vijr.jpg

2016 Marin Pine Mountain-y51r98z.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123