2014 Mt. Vision XM6 ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013

2014 Mt. Vision XM6 ?

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new bike. I've owned 2 Marin's previously (Indian Fire Trail and Palisades Trail), really happy with both bikes. I think it's time to go full squish. The MV has good reviews, anyone have any input to share? I currently ride a 26er, the 2014 MV is 26, am I crazy for considering staying on a 26 bike?

My current dilemma is that I now see these BD 6X6 27.5's nicely spec'd for the same price. Never owned a BD bike, heard good things. Can't find geometry on their website so that scares me.

Someone help me make a decision!

I ride bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by dfrink View Post
    I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new bike. I've owned 2 Marin's previously (Indian Fire Trail and Palisades Trail), really happy with both bikes. I think it's time to go full squish. The MV has good reviews, anyone have any input to share? I currently ride a 26er, the 2014 MV is 26, am I crazy for considering staying on a 26 bike?

My current dilemma is that I now see these BD 6X6 27.5's nicely spec'd for the same price. Never owned a BD bike, heard good things. Can't find geometry on their website so that scares me.

Someone help me make a decision!
    The 2014 MV is 27.5 wheels. I own a 2013 MV which still had 26" wheels and I love it.

I test rode a 2014 XM7 and it was a sexy bike. Great components that will hold up to lots of abuse, but you still have room to upgrade.

You should just verify what year bike you are looking at first.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Sorry, got the years wrong. I'm looking at the 2013 26". For the price I can't find a better deal, pretty sure I'm going to go with this bike. The only upgrades I would want soon would be dropper and clutch RD, and with the price I would have room for those in short order.

I ride bikes
    Make sure you check out Crosslake sales. I ended up getting my 2013 XM7 for $1200 and some change through one of their ebay auctions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Clutch RD and a dropper are already on a XM7..... I own one too. Nice bike!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Crosslake is where I'm looking, bought my Palisades Trail from them. They don't have an XM7 in a 16, only the XM6 . I think I could live with the XM6 for $1400 though...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Ah, I got the nummer wrong! My bad... Well, the bike remains the same.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Anyone on here 5'6" ride a MV? According to my rough calculations I need a 16 (small) frame. If I could get away with a 15 or 17.5 I could get a XM7 (no XM7's in my size).

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Got the last XM6 in my size (they were out of XM7's). Should be here Friday. Also ordered X7 shifters and X7 clutch RD to put on immediately. Can't wait to test her out. Took the Palisades Trail out for a proper last ride on Sunday, 24 miles of glory. Full squish here I come!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

2014 Mt. Vision XM6 ?

Bike arrived. Put on the clutch rd, S7 shifters, 36t race ring and bash guard. Only thing left is to trim the brake lines ( way to long). Took it for a short spin, felt great . Looking to put in about 25 miles on Thursday to break her in. STOKED!
    2017 Scott Spark 930
    2016 Fuji Grand Fondo Classico 1.3
    2016 Felt F4X

I ride bikes
    Awesome! The Ardents are fast rolling, but it was terrible for me as a front tire.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Getting to know the bike, really loving having a full suspension rig! For those who own a similar model I have a question on the suspension linkage. Does anyone else notice some minor creaking noises? This is my first full suspension rig, not sure if this is normal for such a bike? It seems to make some very minor noise when the suspension is active, I only notice it on climbs (probably because any noise on a tough climb seems to be amplified by irritable ears). Thoughts?
    2017 Scott Spark 930
    2016 Felt F4X

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Creaking is not normal. Did you check if the pivot bolts are tightend according to spec? On mine I came across a loose bolt. I didn't have creaking but a little play.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I'll have to do that this weekend. The sounds is similar to if you lightly flick the frame with your fingernail, or maybe a cable nocking against the frame. I've had similar sounds from a noisy seat post on an old bike. Guess I have a little trouble shooting to do. Thanks for the reply.
    2017 Scott Spark 930
    2016 Felt F4X

mtbr member
    I have the XM8 and it's very quiet and haven't noticed any creaks. Sometimes it comes from the seat post you might want to take it out and use a little graphite paste and reseat.

The only upgrade I made was adding some Sun Ringle Black Flag wheels and Schwalbe Hans Dampf tires.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I owe you a beer (probably more like a few beers). Two of the pivot bolts weren't torqued to speck, and the lower shock mount bolt wasn't torqued either. Good thing I checked! I assumed those bolts would be good from the factory, you know what they say about people who make assumptions. Spent some more time checking almost everything else on the bike. Noise is gone, problem solved. Thanks Betzel!

Quote Originally Posted by Betzel View Post
    Creaking is not normal. Did you check if the pivot bolts are tightend according to spec? On mine I came across a loose bolt. I didn't have creaking but a little play.
    2017 Scott Spark 930
    2016 Felt F4X