2013 Marin Nail Trail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

2013 Marin Nail Trail

Any of you guys riding one of these? Can someone give me an overall opinion?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I guess I was waiting for somebody else to answer this but....

I have a 2013 Nail Trail. I bought it to replace my 1996 Nail Trail that was stolen this past December. So you can see, I am not one to jump at every new innovation in the bike industry, nor am I one to try everything so my opinion is based on rather limited experience.

Here is the short story. Both my wife and I had our bikes stolen in December. They were both rather old bikes but they worked for us..XC riding so there was no real bug to get new bikes. When we went out shopping, a whole lot had chafed since we both got our last bikes in the mid 90's.

We are both on the shorter side( 5'8" and 5'6") and neither one of us particularly liked the 29ers. My wife got a 650b ( Kona Cindercone). I kept shopping. I saw a cheap 2013 Marin Bobcat 29er on Ebay, and being predisposed to Marin because I liked my last bike very much ( although a lot has changed), I picked up a Bobcat just to try it out. Somebody had mentioned that I should really give the 29er a couple weeks before dismissing it, so I thought I would pick up the Bobcat cheaply and give it a try. The frame, from the specs appeared to be pretty good ( same as Nail Trail) and I figured if I liked the 29er, I would have a good frame to upgrade. I need up liking the 29er and because I could get a Nail Trail cheap on eBay, I sold the Bobcat and bought the Nail Trail. Seemed like it was a cheaper way to upgrade in the long run.

The components speak for themselves. Nothing really cheap on the bike. I like the Formula brakes and the Fox fork seems to do the job. Tires that came with bike seem decent also. From a components standpoint,t here is nothing I don't really like about the bike. Not sure about the rims, but at the price I paid I feel like I got a good value.

So back to the frame: I really like it, It seems very stiff to me. At least a lot stiffer than my wife's Cindercone (2014 and I think about $1200). Although I am comparing a 650b to a 29er, the Cindercone feels like a piece of junk compared to the Nail Trail, (IMO). However, I probably do lean towards a 65b over a 29er in the end. The proportions fit me well for a 29er, but I guess this is very personal. I am very happy with the bike. I think I paid about $850 shipped to my door on eBay from Crosslake via an auction. At that price, I think there is nothing to complain about. If i paid closer to the $1600+ list, I guess I would have test rode a few more $1600 bikes and then I could nitpick more. The problem I have with test rides is that I need to really get a bike out on the trail to form a decent opinion. Just cruising around a parking lot does nothing for me.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks for the review. What size did you get?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I am 5"8" ( maybe 7.5) with a 30.5-31" inseam with my shoes on. I got the 15" frame which gives me about 1" stand over. I prefer more on a MTB. Would normally want 2.5" or more but that is a bit tough for a 29er. The reach between the saddle and handlebars fits me very well (stock stem). My wife is 5"6" but has an inseam about the same as mine. She likes the fit of the bike also but is less picky about the stand over.

I sold my Bobcat to a guy that I would guess was 5'5". I thought the bike was too big for him but he seemed to like it. To each his own...

mtbr member

2013 Marin Nail Trail

How does this thing handle I'm the tight stuff and downhill? People have me worried that the 71.5* ht angle will handle funny.