'20 RZ vs '20 tallboy geometry- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

'20 RZ vs '20 tallboy geometry

I have been really researching hard to find a nice 29r full suspension to hang up my trusty cannondale prophet after all these years of service. Everyone is raving about the all new 2020 santa cruz tallboy and i have been actually thinking about buying it. I am 5'8" so i am looking at medium sized bikes. I really want to find that new school geometry, long and slack. Of course price is also important so i have been looking at cheaper bikes. Below is a comparison of the geometry numbers for the new rift zone and the new tallboy. Much to my surprise the rift zone has very similar numbers in terms of wheelbase, head tube angle, seat tube angle and chainstay. What i really like about the rift zone is it has a slightly higher bottom bracket (344 mm) versus the tallboy (332) which apparently allows marin to spec the rift zone with 175 mm cranks. With longer cranks the bike can go much faster if you are a pedaller. I've gotten used to single pivot all these years, maybe the rift zone might be my next bike...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails '20 RZ vs '20 tallboy geometry-rfvstb.jpg  

Last edited by adamantane; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:04 PM.
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    The geometry interests me also. Everyone is having about the Tallboy geometry in it's reviews, saying geometry over suspension, etc. Well the Marin seems to have really close geometry. Will people think it rides as good?. I guess we'll see reviews soon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Rift zone is a single pivot design with a linkage driven shock

See from the pivot at the BB the chainstay is uninterrupted to the dropout.

Some call it a 'Faux Bar'

The linkage allows the designer to control how the movement on the shock "ramps up" through the travel.

A true 'Four Bar' design will have a "horst link' pivot between bb and dropout on the stays, like Specialized or Whyte. Whether you notice this difference of not these days is for debate but in bygone times before pedal platform shocks horst link bikes pedalled with less feedback than single or faux bar bikes.

A tall boy is a virtual pivot design (VPP) where the point at which the rear wheel pivots around effectively moves through the travel, much more complex. See also Giants or DW link bikes like Turner etc.

What this means is the rift zone even though it has similar static geometry will ride very differently to the tall boy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by was8v View Post
    Rift zone is a single pivot design with a linkage driven shock

See from the pivot at the BB the chainstay is uninterrupted to the dropout.

Some call it a 'Faux Bar'

The linkage allows the designer to control how the movement on the shock "ramps up" through the travel.

A true 'Four Bar' design will have a "horst link' pivot between bb and dropout on the stays, like Specialized or Whyte. Whether you notice this difference of not these days is for debate but in bygone times before pedal platform shocks horst link bikes pedalled with less feedback than single or faux bar bikes.

A tall boy is a virtual pivot design (VPP) where the point at which the rear wheel pivots around effectively moves through the travel, much more complex. See also Giants or DW link bikes like Turner etc.

What this means is the rift zone even though it has similar static geometry will ride very differently to the tall boy.
    yeah i know the sc will be a different world, but i can its geometry for $1500 less was my point
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006