Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: Sequel?

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    26

    Sequel?

    Anybody have one of these yet? https://lynskeyperformance.com/seque...ountain-frame/. Or opinions on what Lynskey has brewing with this frame?

    I ordered one and am going to be converting it to an XC/gravel burner with drop bars. Will update as it comes in.

  2. #2
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,515
    There's no shortage of gravel bikes or even drop bar 29er frames out there. This one has a "longer top tube" which means you'll need a super short stem and a giant stack of spacers on the steer tube to try and get the handlebars up high enough.

    Why do people always ask these questions after they buy it? Why not just buy a gravel frame that will allow a normal setup?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    There's no shortage of gravel bikes or even drop bar 29er frames out there. This one has a "longer top tube" which means you'll need a super short stem and a giant stack of spacers on the steer tube to try and get the handlebars up high enough.

    Why do people always ask these questions after they buy it? Why not just buy a gravel frame that will allow a normal setup?
    Respectfully, I didn't start this thread to solicit approval or criticism from you or anybody else. This isn't an impulse buy: I've done my homework and have a plan.

    Rather, I thought, hey, there's a Lynskey forum with nothing on it about this frame yet. And why not start a discussion of that?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rockadile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    257
    With their recent sale on these, I almost pulled the trigger on a frame to build up for my wife. I ended up holding off to see if there are better holiday sales. I am interested in hearing your feedback once you get it.
    Last edited by Rockadile; 11-24-2018 at 05:30 PM.

  5. #5
    Location: 10 ft from Hell Moderator
    Reputation: life behind bars's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,093
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumbotron View Post
    Respectfully, I didn't start this thread to solicit approval or criticism from you or anybody else. This isn't an impulse buy: I've done my homework and have a plan.

    Rather, I thought, hey, there's a Lynskey forum with nothing on it about this frame yet. And why not start a discussion of that?




    Okay, a discussion about an all mountain frame being turned into a gravel bike, go!
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

    It ain't supposed to be easy.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pedalon2018's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumbotron View Post
    Anybody have one of these yet? https://lynskeyperformance.com/seque...ountain-frame/. Or opinions on what Lynskey has brewing with this frame?

    I ordered one and am going to be converting it to an XC/gravel burner with drop bars. Will update as it comes in.
    I do not have this new frame but rather a 2018 Pro 29. I just want to say that after a remarkable first year of riding, the frame looks like it came out of the box last April. Just changed out the front rings from 26/36 and 11-40 to 28/38 and 11-42 so I got my first close up views since the bike first went into service. No issues discovered and I looked really hard. Finish is brushed and etched. Needed the change in gearing cause the bike is faster than I planned causing me to spin out so I added a couple mph of top speed. Best bike yet out of 24. Was built custom for Di2 XT.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    26
    My frame came in, and I can report that workmanship appears to be excellent and weight (3.9 lbs.) is identical to Lynskey's listing.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    3

    Iím getting a sequel

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumbotron View Post
    Anybody have one of these yet? https://lynskeyperformance.com/seque...ountain-frame/. Or opinions on what Lynskey has brewing with this frame?

    I ordered one and am going to be converting it to an XC/gravel burner with drop bars. Will update as it comes in.

    Iím getting a sequel too, used to have a trek 7.5fx 2008 which was an hybrid but I stopped dropping by the stairs with that one.

    Looking forwards for a more off-road bike I ordered a sequel, Iím thinking of using a bullhorn bar and hadnít decided the wheel size.

    Do you have photos of yours?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5
    Yes. Just built up my XL last week and got the first good ride in yesterday. I really saw this as my high-mileage/XC rig, but took it on some more technical trails, with larger drops, tight downhill turns, etc. and was really blown away how capable this bike fealt.

    Anyways, built it up 1x11 with a 120mm fork.

    Sequel?-img_3706red.jpg

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by trailblazer78 View Post
    Yes. Just built up my XL last week and got the first good ride in yesterday. I really saw this as my high-mileage/XC rig, but took it on some more technical trails, with larger drops, tight downhill turns, etc. and was really blown away how capable this bike fealt.

    Anyways, built it up 1x11 with a 120mm fork.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3706red.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	289.3 KB 
ID:	1231211
    Sweet looking ride! How compliant would you say it is?

    In other news, I was comparing geo specs, and weirdly enough, the Sequel and the new frame for the Pro29 are nigh identical. In the medium size, the head tube of the Pro29 is 6mm more, but that's it, at least according to their website specs (side note: if the head tube is 6mm longer, how can reach and stack be the same?). The only other real difference appears to be which tubes get the helix treatment.

    So I wonder why they're marketing one (Pro29) as XC and the other (Sequel) as all-mountain? Some difference in ride quality?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    26
    Further poking indicates that the Pro29 is Grade 5 titanium, whereas the Sequel is Grade 9 (https://titaniumprocessingcenter.com...de-9-titanium/). I wonder if that accounts for the price difference. Does anybody know if the ride difference between those alloys is detectable?

    Not that I care much, but I'm curious.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rockadile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    257
    I have Lynskey frames that are made from both and I don't notice a difference. If I recall correctly, the Pro frames only use the 6AI-4V for the top tube.

    One thing to note is that the Sequel 29 has 142mm spacing while the Pro is 148mm.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pedalon2018's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockadile View Post
    I have Lynskey frames that are made from both and I don't notice a difference. If I recall correctly, the Pro frames only use the 6AI-4V for the top tube.

    One thing to note is that the Sequel 29 has 142mm spacing while the Pro is 148mm.
    You are correct in your recall. Only the top welded Ti is 6AI-4V but the down tube is a twisted tube, not welded like the top.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5
    [QUOTE=Jumbotron;13933813]Sweet looking ride! How compliant would you say it is?

    Not really sure how to interpret compliance. I will say it is still stiff and responsive when reacting to pedaling force, but still fealt somewhat softer and less jarring when going over rough sections of trail. I am running a Maxxis Ikon 2.1 rear at 30 psi (2.35 up front) and it still fealt comfortable in this way. This is using stiff ENVE wheels too! Would imagine a large tire with less pressure would feel better.

    I have Lynskey Pro Helix road frame with the 6/4 Ti (top tube only) and do not think it adds that much to the stiffness (not sure what I am really comparing it too though). My understanding is they mainly do that for weight davings, but it is a more difficult grade to weld.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    3
    Sweet ride,

    Iíve got mine in 1x11 too but I feel that Iím spinning out but I wouldnít know if a front chainring of maybe 38 or 40 teeth fits into the frame.

    How many teeth do you have on the front?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5
    I'm running a 32T chainring on a crankset with a 49mm-ish chainline. I use a 11-42T cassette and agree that I could use some higher gearing on more open trails.

    I think a 34T or 36T would fit fine. 38T or 40T would really be pushing it, unless you increase chainline significantly, although, that may compromise things in the rear.

    You may want to consider changing your cassette if you do not have room for a significantly larger chainring. I have been happy with my 9-44T eThirteen TRS+ cassette on my other bike with a 32T and the 9T makes for a pretty tough high gear.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    3
    Iím having that same configuration currently, rear cassette 11-42 and 32T at front.

    Indeed adding a 38 or 40 will compromise the chainline and will probably be a mess instead of a solution.

    I found the absoluteblack Oval chainring, my crank arm is 94BCD and they offer a 34T oval chainring which works as a 32T and a 36T in each phase, the teeth to teeth length is 151mm I measured the crank and frame and it shouldnít compromise the chainline.
    https://absoluteblack.cc/oval-94bcd.html

    There are some Oval chainrings with 36T and 38T 94BCD at eBay but the seller doesnít have a teeth to teeth length and I donít want to run into chainline issues.

    Iím going to give it a try, and maybe a later upgrade to the cassette you mentioned.

    Going back to the thread subject, Iím having my sequel frame with bullhorn bars which is a better fit for climbing, and the Oval chainring might not sacrifice the speed and let me spin out in open trails or going downhill.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pedalon2018's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by trailblazer78 View Post
    I'm running a 32T chainring on a crankset with a 49mm-ish chainline. I use a 11-42T cassette and agree that I could use some higher gearing on more open trails.

    I think a 34T or 36T would fit fine. 38T or 40T would really be pushing it, unless you increase chainline significantly, although, that may compromise things in the rear.

    You may want to consider changing your cassette if you do not have room for a significantly larger chainring. I have been happy with my 9-44T eThirteen TRS+ cassette on my other bike with a 32T and the 9T makes for a pretty tough high gear.
    I just changed out my 26/36 11-40 to 28/38 11-42 all Di2 XT Syncro. That gained me a little better top end and leaving the climbing ability about the same. That is why I still use a double for the added range. Works great and is dead silent.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    2
    I just ordered a Squel Frame, I couldn't pass on the price, i plan on XC with bigger tires. 100mm Fox with Shimano Xt M8000 ... 1/11 32T-11-40 will have to work for now. I also ordered the Ti post for it. This will my only geared , i am about 99.9 percent steel single speed. I've owned the MT29 and the Ridgeline , hope i like this one.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pedalon2018's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by chico85s View Post
    I just ordered a Squel Frame, I couldn't pass on the price, i plan on XC with bigger tires. 100mm Fox with Shimano Xt M8000 ... 1/11 32T-11-40 will have to work for now. I also ordered the Ti post for it. This will my only geared , i am about 99.9 percent steel single speed. I've owned the MT29 and the Ridgeline , hope i like this one.
    Consider the 11-42 instead of the 11-40. I started 2018 with the 11-42 just recently. Weighs a tad more but the bigger jumps on the 42 are all at the top of the cassette. Another bail out gear will at some point be useful. Maybe even the 11-46. I like the feeling I can climb just about any grade, at least for awhile.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    12

    Sequel 27.5

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalon2018 View Post
    Consider the 11-42 instead of the 11-40. I started 2018 with the 11-42 just recently. Weighs a tad more but the bigger jumps on the 42 are all at the top of the cassette. Another bail out gear will at some point be useful. Maybe even the 11-46. I like the feeling I can climb just about any grade, at least for awhile.
    Anyone tried it with the Helm 120? I'm thinking about building one up.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5
    JoeDaddy - I don't have a Helm on mine, but I would recommend going the max 120mm Lynskey recommends rather than the 100mm.

    Would love to hear about your bike once you build it up.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    2

    100MM Fox fit4 Shimao M8000 34T 11/40 Thomson bits 2.35 tires

    Got mine together ... plan on taking it out and dialing it in today!Sequel?-sequel-2019.jpg

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pedalon2018's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    428
    Really nice. I see the top tube is twisted while my Pro 29 has the down tube tweeted. Please report on the ride. I bet it will please you. Safe Ride!

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5
    Very nice indeed. The setback Ti post will definitely add some comfort.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    26
    I just installed the 34t absolute black oval chainring on mine (direct mount). It clears the chainstays fine, but I think anything bigger would be very risky.

Similar Threads

  1. We have a sequelÖÖÖ
    By DIRTJUNKIE in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-26-2012, 06:50 AM
  2. Chunk Jr. The Sequel
    By Enel in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-24-2012, 04:38 PM
  3. Fort Ord; Monterey Downs, Monterey Horse Park---the sequel
    By Moe Ped in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-20-2011, 01:45 PM
  4. Freehub Body Repair or Trash the Whole Wheel? II (The Sequel)
    By K2D2 in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-17-2005, 12:32 PM
  5. What causes brakes to sequel so loud?
    By Whspin in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-21-2005, 02:46 AM

Members who have read this thread: 56

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.