Lynskey Rear Thru Axle is Stuck in Frame- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Lynskey Rear Thru Axle is Stuck in Frame

The black lever unscrewed from the rod when I tried to remove the rear thru axle. It appears the lever is held onto the rod by the pressure of two small allen bolts. This seems like a poor design.

The response from Lynskey is below. I don't know how a "thin nail or cotter pin" would lock the lever into place.

Anyway, I will be looking for a new thru axle. I'm told that Lynskey redesigned the thru axle due to problems like this, yet Lynskey tells me they have never seen this issue before.

"Sorry for the inconvenience with the axle. However this is a first issue like this that has been brought to my attention. There is an allen bolt that locks the lever into place and prevents it from un threading. If it has backed out you should be able to insert a thin nail or cotter pin to lock the lever into place. If it broke off inside a strong pair of vise grips might be the only option to remove. Our axles are not covered under any sort of warranty but if you would like to purchase another I will knock off $20 and sell it for $25 plus shipping.Lynskey Rear Thru Axle is Stuck in Frame-lynskey-thru-axle-unscrewed.jpg
    Last edited by 805MTB; 12-26-2017 at 10:42 PM. Reason: adding photo

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    That's a bummer. I don't think anything but frame/seatpost/stem/handlebars (anything made out of tubes) are actually made by them so this is just a rebranded part of unknown quality. Yeah, I'd just follow their instructions and get the thing unthreaded then get something better. I use a DT Swiss RWS 142 thru axle and have been happy with the quality.

mtbr member
    I would use a pair of vice grips to remove the nut from the threaded Axle, but I'd order a replacement first. Incidentally the thread pitch and size were unavailable when I was looking so don't wait. And lynskey might help you out if you asked nicely.

mtbr member
    channel locks .... duh ?

mtbr member
    Lynskey's customer service is pretty impressively impotent. Great bikes, but crappy, disorganized service. If you can't "re-pin" it, I'd grab onto it (the axle, not the bolt) with a pair of pliers and turn it off. And then buy a new one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rumblytumbly View Post
    I use a DT Swiss RWS 142 thru axle and have been happy with the quality.
    Lynskey hooked me up with a DT Swiss and also realigned the rear end. Runs sweet. Yeah, the DT Swiss is night & day over the other one that I had (shown in pic).
    **Merry Christmas**

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    It's a very poor design. Very difficult to set the appropriate force. Have had problems with the thru axle loosening.

Mine is close to stripping off each time I use it. I'm going to machine a pair of flats on the bolt head so that I can use a wrench of known size. Will bring that wrench with me on longer rides. Don't want to cart along a vise grips

Alignment on titanium frames is difficult and is a contributor to the problem, I believe.

The reply where they say they haven't seen this before is laughable. This is going to happen to just about every axle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flanman View Post
    It's a very poor design. Very difficult to set the appropriate force. Have had problems with the thru axle loosening.

Mine is close to stripping off each time I use it. I'm going to machine a pair of flats on the bolt head so that I can use a wrench of known size. Will bring that wrench with me on longer rides. Don't want to cart along a vise grips

Alignment on titanium frames is difficult and is a contributor to the problem, I believe.

The reply where they say they haven't seen this before is laughable. This is going to happen to just about every axle.
    Instead of going through the trouble, just replace it with a DT Swiss. That's what I did...$30 is cheap for piece of mind.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Ha! You're right, of course. But why spend money when you could spend hours dremelling up a half-assed kludge solution that's never going to work right anyway? No fun!