Cracks- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Cracks

  1. #1
    Ahhh the pain....
    Reputation: Raybum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,562

    Cracks

    I've cracked my Lynskey Ridgeline (2010 model) 6x and my friend with a 2012, 2x. Here is a pic of his second crack. I would never buy another nor recommend to friends that they do. Note that both of us are 155-165 lbs and only do XC stuff.
    Cracks-file.jpg

  2. #2
    Old Goat
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    17
    Has Lynskey denied a new frame based on the lifetime warranty for any of the cracks?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    11
    Yeah ... have you tried to warranty them yet? What was the response?

    I am on a large 2018 pro 27.5 and have about 40# on you (I'm not fat ... big boned! <sigh>) Ride mostly XC and run a dropper. I switched from 20 years of riding FS exclusively to the pro 27.5. Even after a year and 900 miles I still forget to get out of the seat on rides. I have been hard on that area of the bike because of forgetting to get up and haven't had any issues. Granted my bike is newer than both of yours

  4. #4
    EAT MORE GRIME
    Reputation: 127.0.0.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    4,233
    litespeeds used to crack like that at the headtube area, some mtb some road bikes.... all were covered by warranty

    these should be as well I'd imagine....so many cracks though, sheesh
    Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 02-01-2019 at 04:33 AM.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rockadile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    259
    Silence...

  6. #6
    Ahhh the pain....
    Reputation: Raybum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,562
    So, all the issues were covered by warranty....which is great. But costly (have to pay shipping 1 way) each time and be without a bike for a while.
    BTW, I realize things break but this seems like Lynskey is ignoring a problem (design? Mfg? raw matl?) and taking care of it on the back end.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pedalon2018's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    537
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    So, all the issues were covered by warranty....which is great. But costly (have to pay shipping 1 way) each time and be without a bike for a while.
    BTW, I realize things break but this seems like Lynskey is ignoring a problem (design? Mfg? raw matl?) and taking care of it on the back end.
    I believe Lynskey builds more Ti frames than anyone. If true, even a small percentage of failure could mean quite a few bikes. I bought my last high dollar bike a year ago. Reshearched several builders of all materials and found out all builders frame crack. I also discovered some builders are very bad about honoring their “lifetime” warrantee. You can read about these builders right here on this Forum. I also discovered Lynskey was one of the very best to honor their lifetime warranty. I found a few disputes but they seem to be settled in the buyers favor. I personally know of two frames that were defective but the builders refused to honor their word claiming the failures were not builder’s responsibility. Also, some buyers very carefully build their bike so all matches the way they want it. Then the frame fails and if replaced may be a completely repulsive color. No issues with titanium in that regard. Lynskey has treated me very well. Impressed with their build of Pro 29 with Di2. And after 1,500 miles, the bike looks brand new. I am 220 and ride fast. On your left!
    Last edited by Pedalon2018; 02-02-2019 at 10:12 PM.

  8. #8
    Ahhh the pain....
    Reputation: Raybum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,562
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalon2018 View Post
    I believe Lynskey builds more Ti frames than anyone. If true, even a small percentage of failure could mean quite a few bikes. I bought my last high dollar bike a year ago. Reshearched several builders of all materials and found out all builders frame crack. I also discovered some builders are very bad about honoring their “lifetime” warrantee. You can read about these builders right here on this Forum. I also discovered Lynskey was one of the very best to honor their lifetime warranty. I found a few disputes but they seem to be settled in the buyers favor. I personally know of two frames that were defective but the builders refused to honor their word claiming the failures were not builder’s responsibility. Also, some buyers very carefully build their bike so all matches the way they want it. Then the frame fails and if replaced may be a completely repulsive color. No issues with titanium in that regard. Lynskey has treated me very well. Impressed with their build of Pro 29 with Di2. And after 1,500 miles, the bike looks brand new. I am 220 and ride fast. On your left!
    I've had two Ti frames from Lynskey, both of which I bought new from them. The first was a 2010 Ridgeline that was the one that I cracked 6x. (all in the small triangle behind the BB). The first of those cracks initiated from what appeared to be a weld defect. I truly believe that frame was a bit underdesigned for SS use since there is so much lateral forces created from standing up and pedaling.
    The second frame was a 2012 Pro 29...never cracked it but that frame was nearly 3/4 of a pound heavier! It was VERY stiff...almost too much. I tend to believe that frame was probably overdesigned.
    My friend who I mentioned in the original post has a 2012 Ridgeline that he's broke 2x; once in the top tube behind the head tube, and the second time at the junction of the top tube, seat tube, and seat stays.
    As a mechanical engineer who did finite element analysis of titanium aerospace parts for many years, I understand that failures can be from a number of causes; design, mfg, or even use (or abuse). My hunch is that when you look at how Lynskey frames have changed over the years, they have added metal...which says they are reacting to failures. I don't know if they use good quality Ti or save some $ by using imported Ti.
    My point here being, I don't think they (as well as many bike co's) do any real engineering analysis, they just let the failures guide their changes.
    And I agree, without any real failure data, it is hard to say whether their frames crack more that others. Regardless, in my case, 6x on one frame was too much...and my friend is pretty pissed that his has cracked 2x.
    Anyway, I moved onto a Vassago Ti bike. The owner is local and has a Ti welder that can repair it if it breaks.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    11
    Asking a bike companies, who make almost no profit without volume, to spend more on R&D like they are an aerospace company isn't going to work. In 28 years of MTB riding I busted 3 treks and 1 santa cruz. I am amazed MTB's last the way they do with how much stress is put on them. We ask for cheap and light, that doesn't leave much room to pay for finite analysis in solidworks or hiring engineers to do those tests. As long as the companies own up and warranty the frame from these cracks, and they change products when they fail the consumer shouldn't worry. 90's cannondale (crack and fails) are an example of not fixing design issues and continuing to sell them. They highend bigs tubing was way to thin and the cheaper bikes didn't have good welds. But they kept selling them and warranted the problem away instead of redesigning them. They fixed the issues but it took a long time.

    What amazes me now are carbon frames. People seem to have no issues accepting short warranties and rocks kicking up can crack multi thousand dollar frames. All while these frames are made by massive numbers in places where engineering costs are low. That is a clear example of using the riders as alpha/beta testers.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pedalon2018's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    537
    All most all products are field tested by consumers. Even though manufacturers test, real world long term testing is done by consumers. Successful companies quickly see where improvements are needed and react. There is no test better than average joe using and misusing equipment over time. Most builders want to build something they do not have to go back and make it right. So usually over time, builders get better and making their stuff. One reason Toyota’s are the most reliable car available is due to lack of clean sheet every few years. They just keep make their stuff better over long periods of time. Fail to learn from mistakes doom all companies.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slowrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,792
    They warrantied this without question. I'm 200# geared up and this is a 27.5 ridgeline 140mm travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    I've cracked my Lynskey Ridgeline (2010 model) 6x and my friend with a 2012, 2x. Here is a pic of his second crack. I would never buy another nor recommend to friends that they do. Note that both of us are 155-165 lbs and only do XC stuff.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	file.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	170.6 KB 
ID:	1233724
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cracks-frame-crack.jpg  


Similar Threads

  1. Cracks, cracks and cracks
    By c8stom in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-13-2015, 08:39 AM
  2. Frame cracks... how bad
    By BrianTW in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-31-2011, 04:01 AM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-10-2011, 12:15 PM
  4. Cracks&Racks.....awesome!
    By meSSican in forum Cars and Bike Racks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-01-2011, 10:16 AM
  5. 2011 Blur LT2 paint stress cracks (lots)??
    By dapozer in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-21-2011, 08:41 AM

Members who have read this thread: 79

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.