Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Your dream light design?

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  starthere 
#1 · (Edited)
Mine is this:

Take the current 1600 lumen magicshine and make the triple a slightly larger diameter. Add an XML or whatever is the hot LED in the near future and have a spot optic in the middle of the triple. The triple floods, the XML spots, and you only have to wear a little light on your helmet and you can then easily put the battery in your backpack. Since I'm dreaming... the only other cool feature that I can think of is a wireless switch that straps on to your handlebars so you don't have to reach up to your head while you are hitting that sweeping berm that launches you into a double.... :thumbsup:

#2 ·
Nite flux has a wireless switch. Buddy has one, it's a nice setup, not cheap though.

Since we are "dreaming".....
mine would be small enough it could be built-in to a helmet or stem, built in rechargeable battery that would give at least 4+ hour run times...oh, & super-duper bright lol.

I have a feeling switching to a nice LED system from my old halogen will be a great change.

#4 ·
A modular light system that can be add or customize to an individual need.

First you start off with the center module pack. That consist of the battery connection wire and indicator of battery volt and amp drawn so there will be no more guessing of capacity reserve. On the both side of this master center module are slide on locking rail with power bus to add other module to either side.

Next comes the passive add on modules. The option are the lighthead module pack. You can select various LED type and reflector. Each of these module have their own switch and programable intensity. Since these module slide on to the master module, there is no wires involve. You simply buy a light head of your liking and slide and lock it in place on the side of the master module. All passive are power by the power connection from the master module.

If you want two different led and beam, then you simply add two module with one on each side of the center master module. No more messy wires and one neat package. If you desire a remote switch, that can be accomplish with a remote add module placed in between the center master module and the light module. Each light module have their own ability where the reflector can be tilted slightly for better beam placement.

Last but not least, the front light module can interface with a similar rear blinky module if you buy the remote module.

Good grief, I sound like a sales lady, so while I am at it:
Disclaimer: 3 month on parts and labor and 1 year on parts. Excluding misuse, abuse, or dismantle. Not responsible for lost, stolen or damage cause by act of God. Ha ha.

#5 ·
Programmable Laser Lights are coming, BMW have developed them for cars should see them 2013 ish (Lupine are german too)
Much more effecient than LED's project the light directly onto the ground in a beam pattern that suits you. Its an exciting time. Imagine it a light the size of a joystick, emitting 1000 lumens in a beam pattern exactly how you like it for about 3 hours. and a bar light the size of a piko outputting 2000+ lumens with no wasted light. The remote technology is there in mice (computer) and other technology its only a matter of time until the technology comes to lights.

#12 ·
I am a little skeptic for the 1600 lumen magicshine torch, fitted with xml t6. Is it reaching 1600 lumen?
The MJ-872 has four LED,s at measured output of about 1050 lumens, with 4 No. XML's, 2000 lumens should be achieveable.

I agree a wireless handlebar would be good, but i reckon a voice activated one would be even better. Just should 'Light' and it increases the output, when i ride into a rough section most of the time have already adjusted light output to what i will need, but when your riding somewhere you dont know that well you could get caught out.

#14 ·
Their lumen is overstated

in the thread of blf forums, someone state statistic to prove the max output of xl-m mc-e
Owing to my fewer post in the forum, I could not post the links. So if I have enough post to give the links, the next time I share the links with you. The statistic prove the true that at the max ahm, xl-m can produce about 1000 lumen light:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.