Yinding vs. KD 2 or BL2S (vs. Gemini duo?)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Yinding vs. KD 2 or BL2S (vs. Gemini duo?)

Would anyone that owns a Yinding and one of the Kaidomain duo clone lights (BL2S or KD 2), show a comparison of the two? Would love to see how they compare to the Gemini duo as well. Or if someone can point me to somewhere this exists, that'd be awesome.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Kaidomain Rules!

You want beam shots or just a side by side of the two lights? Because they’re about the same size and have similar spots, but their power buttons have different heights and locations. Yinding on the back, comparatively shallow though click is soft and easy, you do end up covering the lenses with your fingers as you press to change modes. BL2S button is on top, sticks out quite a bit similar to SolarStorm but conversely takes a littlemore effort to click. You don’t end up covering the lenses when changing modes and like the Yinding, Off is part of the cycle. Unlike the Yinding, it doesn’t fade between modes but does include two flash sequences, Rapid and S.O.S. Also the cable from the BL2S is much longer — maybe good for bar use or if you have the lamp mounted on your helmet with the battery pack in a lower jacket pocket. Yinding came in 5000K Neutral White plus Bright White, forget the exact color temperature; BL2S available from 6500K down to 3000K which in household lighting terms is referred to as Soft (2700K is called Warm.) Not to mention that the Yinding is no longer available retail while Kaidomain fulfills orders incredibly fast nowadays; I ordered my Warm White BL2S on a Sunday night and it shipped early the following Monday morning.

Yinding vs. KD 2 or BL2S (vs. Gemini duo?)-fb5183a8-0d3c-4f0c-bf47-785bead20d9d.jpg

Was just about to take some indoor pics to demonstrate color rendition if you can wait a moment. Just ordered another BLS2, this time in 4000K, of course won’t be here for another week but am assuming color should be same as first Yindings sent out by GearBest with the “wrong” emitter bins, one of which I was lucky enough to score and still own. Lemme know if you’ve any more questions while I get to work on this.
    Last edited by andychrist; 03-21-2019 at 10:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Would love to see some beamshot comparisons if possible. Neutral white around 5000k would be my preferred choice. Thanks andychrist!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yinding Neutral White ~5000K by andyXchrist, on Flickr

Yinding 4000K? by andyXchrist, on Flickr

BLS2 Warm White 3000K by andyXchrist, on Flickr

Will try to grab outdoor shots later... Crap, it just started raining.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Ooh yes outdoor shots please! But no worries or hurries, take your time, no need to be running around in the rain. Judging by these pics I'd say the BL2S is a bit brighter? Seems pretty close.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeKeR View Post
    Judging by these pics I'd say the BL2S is a bit brighter? Seems pretty close.
    Hard to remember already, will have to go back and check.

Here’s the one pic I managed to get of the 5000K Yinding before it got too wet outside. Sorry but for no particular reason V-Bulletin turned my shot on its side.

Yinding vs. KD 2 or BL2S (vs. Gemini duo?)-54f96fb8-c127-4ce1-a830-29a855906e33.jpg

The BLS2 should be comparable, even though it’s TIR lenses are not exactly the same as in the Yinding. Neither have the most throw in the world but still definitely worth the modest price, that’s why I got a pair of each in different color temperatures. And with a Y cable you can run two lamps from the same battery for either greater brightness or to elongate the beam pattern.

Gonna try to get better shots on Sunday if I don’t get caught trespassing again, know a place where the forest floor is spectacular at night right now, with a slew of fallen silver birch highlighting the trail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    BL2S has a slightly tighter spot than the Yinding which makes it seem brighter toward the center of the beam, while the warmer tint of the model I purchased softens the overall effect. Also the KD features Cree’s newer XM L2 U3, which I guess is a bit more efficient thus brighter than their U2. And if you get the 5000K Neutral White of course it will look brighter still than my 3000K.

Just went back out without the camera to compare and discovered the obvious: BL2S 3000K really makes the brown oak leaves pop, brings out their orange to give them a fiery glow. But sort of muddies the mosses. OTOH 5000K Neutral White Yinding great on the moss, not at all as effective on the fallen oak. So thinking 3000-4000K might be best for autumn and 4000-5000K better for summer, if you live in a temperate climate with deciduous vegetation.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    So here’s a shot taken with the 3000K Warm White BL2S.

Yinding vs. KD 2 or BL2S (vs. Gemini duo?)-c2658e3a-258f-4d16-bf9a-65c138150e12.jpg

Too bad the camera on my iPad automatically adjusts white balance, it doesn’t capture what I see very closely. But should give you at least a vague idea of the different color rendition.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Sweet, thanks for taking the time to show me andychrist, really appreciate it. I think I'll pick up the 5000k BL2S.