Y-cable useage- Mtbr.com

Thread: Y-cable useage

ride for fun

Y-cable useage

has anyone used a Y-cable to run two different light heads off the same battery? the scenario im considering is running a magicshine (or ray2) with a ray3 on the bars off one battery(upgraded geoman replacement).

Im wondering if having two different lightheads running off one battery would have some kind of bad effect on the battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nick d View Post
    has anyone used a Y-cable to run two different light heads off the same battery? the scenario im considering is running a magicshine (or ray2) with a ray3 on the bars off one battery(upgraded geoman replacement).

Im wondering if having two different lightheads running off one battery would have some kind of bad effect on the battery.
    As long as both lights operate off of the same nominal voltage

AND

as long as you don't exceed the maximum rated current draw for the battery pack

AND

as long as one light doesn't radiate noise on the line that may be problematic for the other (unlikely).

Then you should be fine.

You will take a hit in the run-time department for sure. Not only because you are now running two lights but also because the li-ion battery capacity goes down as you draw more and more current. In other words, it wold be less efficient to run both lights through the Y cable from a 3000 mAH battery than it would be to run them separately from 1500 mAH batteries, even though on the surface it appears like there would be no difference.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It also creates a single point of failure - one battery, and one cable. Either one dies and you are sunk.

J.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I run 2 Bikeray III's and a magicshine rear from a single 5.2 Ah Bikeray cell using 2 Y cables for my normal 1 hour towpath blat (but I do have a spare battery in the rucksack), works fine, nothing gets warm

mtbr member
    I just tried the y-cable with a bikeray IV and a XML magicshine on a 6ah geoman battery. Failed in less than a minute! Battery life indicator lights on both heads turned red and the MS head kicked down to 200 lumins. Turned one light off and everything went back to normal. Nothing was damaged but I know this combo doesn't work.

ride for fun
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    I just tried the y-cable with a bikeray IV and a XML magicshine on a 6ah geoman battery. Failed in less than a minute! Battery life indicator lights on both heads turned red and the MS head kicked down to 200 lumins. Turned one light off and everything went back to normal. Nothing was damaged but I know this combo doesn't work.
    interesting, thats the kind of think i was afraid of. must have something to do with them being different lights like mentioned above?
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Probably just too high of a current draw and the battery pcb backs it down to protect itself or the lights see it as a low battery.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I run 2 MS 900's on the Y every time I use them. Haven't had an issue yet.