XML-3 vs Olympia 2018 for a US guest- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    45

    XML-3 vs Olympia 2018 for a US guest

    Hi guys,

    every once in a while we get to visit the US, and stock up on lights. I use the 1800lm Olympia, but the battery is close to dead. So i am looking to replace the battery and buy a new light. Here are a few questions:


    • Will Action Led or Dinotte or someone else have good Thanksgiving discounts?
    • Should I go Dinotte XML-3 or Olympia (Gemini is cheaper, programmable, has a remote, but smaller battery, much worse run times and mount system)?
    • What replacement battery to get for the old Olympia, the original only 5200mAh, or something better? Will the Dinotte battery of 6800mAh be OK with a cable adapter? Or get those slim Magicshine batteries from Action Leds?


    Also in spite of the 20% of battery capacity difference, how can XML-3 run 1400lm for a whooping 5h, and the Olympia outputs 1200lm for only 2:45? That is a HUGE difference!

    Thanks for your thoughts. Make Croatia bright again!

    Domi

  2. #2
    RAKC Industries
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    3,264
    Have sale going on right now for the holiday: www.rakclighting.com

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.


  3. #3
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by dmalovic View Post
    Hi guys,

    every once in a while we get to visit the US, and stock up on lights. I use the 1800lm Olympia, but the battery is close to dead. So i am looking to replace the battery and buy a new light. Here are a few questions:

    Will Action Led or Dinotte or someone else have good Thanksgiving discounts?
    Should I go Dinotte XML-3 or Olympia (Gemini is cheaper, programmable, has a remote, but smaller battery, much worse run times and mount system)?
    What replacement battery to get for the old Olympia, the original only 5200mAh, or something better? Will the Dinotte battery of 6800mAh be OK with a cable adapter? Or get those slim Magicshine batteries from Action Leds?
    This is an excellent deal on a quality replacement battery pack for your Gemini:

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pana-sonic-...d=221312764259

    When I handed my Gemini 1800 down to my son I replaced it with a Gemini 2100. No complaints about the mount, remote, run times, or battery (I use the Gemini 7800mh slimline in a pack or jersey/bib pocket).

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by og-mtb View Post
    This is an excellent deal on a quality replacement battery pack for your Gemini:

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pana-sonic-...d=221312764259

    When I handed my Gemini 1800 down to my son I replaced it with a Gemini 2100. No complaints about the mount, remote, run times, or battery (I use the Gemini 7800mh slimline in a pack or jersey/bib pocket).
    Wow, that really is a great deal, if they indeed use the Panasonic cells. Has anyone checked the capacity maybe?

    I also enjoy my Olympia 1800, but we need another light, and I just know Dinotte is a special company. That's why the dilemma. Did you see the run times comparison? Amazing to get 5hrs @ 1400lm!

    While I am typing, any recommendations on a full 4 channel LiIon 18650 charger/tester...?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MRMOLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,274
    Quote Originally Posted by dmalovic View Post


    Also in spite of the 20% of battery capacity difference, how can XML-3 run 1400lm for a whooping 5h, and the Olympia outputs 1200lm for only 2:45? That is a HUGE difference!


    Domi
    A few factors going on here that lead to these deceptive numbers. First the battery capacity difference is closer to 30% which explains the difference in runtimes @ max. power for similar output (lol, I'm just trying to be accurate here). Looking at the manufacturers runtime charts I also noticed Dinotte is using power usage as its unit of measure where as Gemini chose brightness levels so this would be an apples to oranges comparison if everything else was done correctly (which it's not). Still things should be comparable and accurate @ 100% power (which they appear to be factoring in battery capacity differences). Nice neat/even numbers means both manufacturers have rounded their claimed numbers up or down. Finally and the biggest point of inaccuracy is it looks like Gemini has just calculated its results from the max. settings not taking into account the fairly substantial increase in emitter efficiency you get when driven at lower current levels. In the end my guess is at any given output level both lights will draw about the same current level and have similar runtimes.

    I know very little about Dinotte lights but do have a older Olympia. If I had to choose between these two lights I'd go with the Gemini largly because I'd know all the mounting systems and batteries would be compatible and I've been spoiled by programmable presets. That being said I personally wouldn't pick either of these two lights. Both these similar lights and their basic layout have experienced diminished popularity IMO because of some of the design advantages (potentially better thermal performance, changeable optics allowing beam customization) that the horizontally opposed multi emitter lights have. If you plan on dealing with Action-LED-Lights The Gloworm brand they also sell is worth taking a look at. They may cost a little more but you get a bit more power, beam adjustability, far better mounting systems and better UI programs. Another light worth looking at is the Ituo XP3 (one of my favorites). A few less features than the Gloworm (mounts not as nice, wired instead of wireless remote, and the major would be lack of customer support) but a good deal less money.

    One other thing I wanted to point out is emitter tint on the lights you mentioned and my suggestions. Your current Olympia's emitters have a very cool white tint. Mixing emitter tints on lilghts is not ideal. Dinotte and Gloworm (standard configuration) will match your current light the best. Newer Gemini's, Ituo XP3, and an option on the Gloworm's use emitters with a warmer neutral white tint. Most here prefer the Neutral white tint but if your planning on using the new and old lights together you may want to stick with the Dinotte or standard Gloworm. Hope this helps!
    Mole

    Edit: Another option if your dealing with Action is they offer a neutral white option for the Gloworms but I'm positive they can convert your Olympia to NW for a reasonable charge. I know it's more to think about but always nice to have all the options. Here's a link to the XP3 also.

    https://www.amazon.com/ITUO-Wiz-XP3-...tuo+bike+light
    Last edited by MRMOLE; 11-17-2018 at 04:11 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Cute triple xml and double xml helmet light
    By Magnum9 in forum Lights DIY - Do It Yourself
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-30-2012, 10:23 PM
  2. Tough choice: XML-3 vs Olympia vs Gloworm X2
    By dmalovic in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-06-2012, 12:33 PM
  3. New Build - 3 XML's Cute3 + XML Iris
    By OldMTBfreak in forum Lights DIY - Do It Yourself
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-20-2011, 09:35 PM
  4. Project Wall-E (dual XML) & single XML
    By allngap in forum Lights DIY - Do It Yourself
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-04-2011, 05:20 PM
  5. Double XML + Single XML Video
    By bravellir in forum Lights DIY - Do It Yourself
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-18-2011, 01:11 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.