XC light ?- Mtbr.com

Thread: XC light ?

tg
    mtbr member

XC light ?

Are there any cordless bar mount lights for trail rides at dawn or dusk? I think I have seen some that use AA or AAA . Are they worth it or do I need to get a real light? M y budget is $150 Thanks

mtbr member
    Real trail worthy cordless lights will cost quite a bit, Exposure lights made by USE or the TRION 600 spring to mind or you could have a look at DealExtreme.com for some high power torches but mounting them can be a bit of a pain as they are quite large.

If you can cope with a wired light then for value you can't get better than the MagicShine from Geoman.
    Long thread but you'll read that the teathing problems are now sorted:http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=521241

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Ay-Up out of Australia makes a really nice dual halogen. They aren't cordless but have a very short cord and a small light battery that attaches to the stem of your bike. I love mine, have it for the helmet and the bars. Price depends on the exchange rate, but you could probably get one of these lights and battery for around $150.

Its got what plants crave
    I kinda like the Light and Motion Vega 200. It's bar mounted and totally cordless, lasts like 2 or 3 hours at 200 lumens. Not a ton of light but can be had for about 130 bucks.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by tg
    Are there any cordless bar mount lights for trail rides at dawn or dusk? I think I have seen some that use AA or AAA . Are they worth it or do I need to get a real light? M y budget is $150 Thanks
    Ted,
    They aren't worth it. If possible, consider upping the budget and expanding your options.

Contact [email protected] for some great deals.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tg
    How long are your rides (or how long would you be in the dark)?

Is there a particular reason you want a cordless light? As already mentioned, if you can deal with the cord, the magicshine can't be beat. The battery pack is small and can be mounted right under your stem, you'd hardly even know it was there.

If you must go cordless, there are plenty of options. You can go with a bicycle specific light. But I think you'll get more for your money if you go with flashlights (again, this is if you absolutely don't want a corded light).
    Follow this link and look at the Trustfire TR-801 beamshots (both road 1 and road 2). These are $15 lights, add a couple batteries, a charger and mount and you're up to about $35 from dealextreme.

While on that beamshot page, look at the Spiderfire SSC P7, that one would set you back about $55 or so once you include batteries, charger and mount.

Plus you have the added benefit of being able to use these as regular flashlights when not on the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut
    How long are your rides (or how long would you be in the dark)?

Is there a particular reason you want a cordless light? As already mentioned, if you can deal with the cord, the magicshine can't be beat. The battery pack is small and can be mounted right under your stem, you'd hardly even know it was there.

If you must go cordless, there are plenty of options. You can go with a bicycle specific light. But I think you'll get more for your money if you go with flashlights (again, this is if you absolutely don't want a corded light).
    Follow this link and look at the Trustfire TR-801 beamshots (both road 1 and road 2). These are $15 lights, add a couple batteries, a charger and mount and you're up to about $35 from dealextreme.

While on that beamshot page, look at the Spiderfire SSC P7, that one would set you back about $55 or so once you include batteries, charger and mount.

Plus you have the added benefit of being able to use these as regular flashlights when not on the bike.
    As a newbie to night riding - any specific recommendations for mounts, batteries, chargers to hit the $35-60 price range for the setup?

Brian

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Ted,
    They aren't worth it. If possible, consider upping the budget and expanding your options.

Contact [email protected] for some great deals.
    ditto. lights are expensive but the good ones dramatically improve the ability to night ride safely. the absolute cheapest light i'd rec would be the light and motion stella. its just barely adequate. i actually use the Enduro Maxx-D and Joystick combo... expensive but worth it. get yourself the money to do it right and youll night ride a lot more often and more safely.

ps: my riding partner has tried to go the flashlight route and he pretty much has to ride behind me. also, on high power the burn times on the flashlights suck. definitely dont go the flashlight route.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutcat
    ps: my riding partner has tried to go the flashlight route and he pretty much has to ride behind me. also, on high power the burn times on the flashlights suck. definitely dont go the flashlight route.
    I don't know what light(s) your friend has, but there are just too many people that run with flashlights and are happy with them to disregard them altogether.

As far as I'm concerned, these people that say you HAVE TO spend $400 and up for lights are old school and just aren't that up to date on the new stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpus
    As a newbie to night riding - any specific recommendations for mounts, batteries, chargers to hit the $35-60 price range for the setup?

Brian
    Brian, too many options to cover. Your best bet is to use the search and do some reading. Search for info on "SSC P7 flashlights" & "bike mounts", you'll see that in a lot of the posts there will be links to dealexteme.com, they carry all the stuff you'll need to get started in terms of lights, mounts, batteries, chargers.

Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by betheriver
    Ay-Up out of Australia makes a really nice dual halogen. They aren't cordless but have a very short cord and a small light battery that attaches to the stem of your bike. I love mine, have it for the helmet and the bars. Price depends on the exchange rate, but you could probably get one of these lights and battery for around $150.
    Can you please tell me where I can get the Ay - ups for $150

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Correction: Ay Up lights are LED not halogen

Members who have read this thread: 0