XANES XL07 LED Headlight- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

XANES XL07 LED Headlight

Just created a video review of this light.

(I am not affiliated with the seller or manufacturer but they did send me the light for testing and review).

===========================
    The Adventure Biker: https://goo.gl/oDtXsP
    Tandem Adventurers: https://goo.gl/26KABa

mtbr member
    I think the Banggood ad on this lamp is a little deceiving. The lamp is marketed ( in their ad ) as being a flood light with a 120 spread. While it does include a light diffuser similar to ones used with LED torches which will no doubt spread the output of the light, this is in no way applicable for use while mountain biking. The lamp itself is using a standard reflector so the beam pattern for MTB use is going to have pretty much a standard narrow beam pattern. As mentioned in the video the diffuser is really only useful for supplying a light source in either emergency power outages or for camping.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    That's the standard magicshine connector. Can this handle 8.4v (2 cells in series) batteries that are pretty much the standard?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    That's the standard magicshine connector. Can this handle 8.4v (2 cells in series) batteries that are pretty much the standard?
    The Banggood website spec indicates that it could. Based on the teardown and driver pics of a different Xanes light in the 2018 chinese light thread, I'd approach that very cautiously. The other Xanes light used a very simple bleed resistor driver with PWM dimming. That style driver will generate lots of heat as the battery voltage increases over the LED Vf voltage.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    The Banggood website spec indicates that it could. Based on the teardown and driver pics of a different Xanes light in the 2018 chinese light thread, I'd approach that very cautiously. The other Xanes light used a very simple bleed resistor driver with PWM dimming. That style driver will generate lots of heat as the battery voltage increases over the LED Vf voltage.
    I don't know if the driver would really generate that much more heat if using the higher voltage. Torch makers have been doing this for years just using one simple coin size driver. Depends on what you are buying but it's not unusual to see to see a torch capable of using either two 16340 cells in series or one 18650. Usually in those cases it's the two 3.7 volt cells in series that will actually make the torch seem brighter although the single cell 18650 will usually give the longer run time. Of course all this depends on the type of driver being used. The thought of using bleed resistors to provide a drop down voltage seems so basic and inefficient. I'm surprised anyone would build something so cheaply made.

I like the idea though that you can buy a lamp that can run off of both a standard battery pack or a pack built for USB use. Not that I'm in the market for one of those but for someone who already has a USB battery pack and just needs a cheap light to ride by one of these could work.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    I don't know if the driver would really generate that much more heat if using the higher voltage.
    I guess that depends on what one considers more heat. If this light uses a driver similar to the Xanes light that was torn down in the other thread, all excess voltage will be turned to heat. If they are running 3A to the LED then you're are going to have about 10W more heat running on 7.4V versus 3.7V. As far as bike lights go that a bunch of heat to dissipate.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    The thought of using bleed resistors to provide a drop down voltage seems so basic and inefficient. I'm surprised anyone would build something so cheaply made.
    Well, it is a cheap Chinese light and Xanes has used that style in another light too. Nothing in lights of this category surprises me. It is possible that they have used a proper buck type driver in this light. Without a teardown it is impossible to tell. That's why I advised a cautious approach to trying it out on a 2S battery.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I see.

So if they used a buck driver it would work, but until proven otherwise we just have to assume they are using the same bad driver as their other lights. Are the buck drivers actually that much more expensive?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    High quality buck drivers do get expensive, but cheap Chinese ones are pretty cheap. As far as differences in cost between a cheap buck driver and the bleed resistor PWM driver used in the other Xanes light, I would not expect there to a more than $1 difference to cover additional components and assembly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    It's a standard 5521 connector (5.5mm O.D., 2.1mm I.D.) used by thousands of low voltage DC devices (usually no more than 12VDC). Magicshine just happens to use the same 5521 connector along with everyone else that doesn't use something proprietary.
    ===========================
    The Adventure Biker: https://goo.gl/oDtXsP
    Tandem Adventurers: https://goo.gl/26KABa