X2/XS , Olympia/Titan ,XS/XS for Technical Terrain- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018

X2/XS , Olympia/Titan ,XS/XS for Technical Terrain

Hi All,

New to night riding so this is probably jumping into the deep end but..

The local trails are mostly technical rocky gravity lines which i would like to have a crack at this winter. I will of course start with something easier to begin with but first i need a pair of lights.

First of all, is it even feasible to do gravity riding at night? local trails include 1-1.5m drops and a lot of rock gardens but i am quite familiar with the trails during the day.

So with technical and relatively fast gravity riding what lights should i be looking at? my current shortlist is:

-gloworm x2 head / XS bars
    -Gemini olympia head / titan bars
    -gloworm XS bars and head
    -ituo xp2 head/ xp3 bars

My main concerns are:
    -light moving around too much while descending
    -electrical cables disconnecting or getting in the way while descending
    -not enough light for the terrain

I'm open to cheaper brands however it seems for gravity riding a better quality light may be required? Also i would like to avoid the cheaper Chinese batteries which are likely to be a fire risk.

Budget is around about the lights listed. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    You are on the right track with your choices, good lights all. Optics can be changed on all of them which is a big deal. Gloworm is supposed to be releasing a new XS with wireless remote, when is the question.... My go to setup for non tech nite rides is xs on the bars and xp3 on the helmet.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Most of your concerns are pretty mute points these days. As long as it doesnt use a cheezy mount or band mounts you will be good. Gopro compatible mounting is definitely where its at for rough stuff. Connectors arent an issue with quality lights, most secure are the less common threaded connectors but the snap ones used on your list have had no really issues as long as you leave slack in the cable.

As far as what you want to ride, very doable. Jumps and drops you need to know the landing well because you will feel as if your going faster at night than you actually are (which could end bad if there is a gap to deal with).

As for light options, Lumens arent everything. Beam pattern matters a lot too. 2 Triple emitter lights is a good option, maybe even a quad emitter for the bars. Something to also consider to add to your list are Theia https://www.rakclighting.com/collections/mountain-bike , wireless remote, GoPro mount adapter and so on. Lightest weight of any triple, output comparable if not a bit more than the other triples on your list. Glowworm would be the other good option on your list.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Thanks for the responses! Good to know I'm at least in the ball park.

Rakc, would you suggest mounting the theia on both helmet and bars?

Also are there any pros/cons to running the helmet battery on helmet / backpack? Was planning on running in backpack so I can use a 4 cell for 2-2.5 ish hour run time.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    They can be mounted in either location. I dont ride gravity oriented but I ride with Theia on my Helmet.

The battery packs that come with them are perfect for a backpack/hydropack, they are flat 6 cell battery packs. But they come in a pouch that makes the really easy to frame mount as well (since your talking about 1 for each position)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.