as winter approaches remember this one weird trick to maximizing battery life- Mtbr.com
    EAT MORE GRIME

as winter approaches remember this one weird trick to maximizing battery life

don't charge a cold lithium battery pack. come in from freezing weather ? let the pack warm up first before slapping on a charger. Charging a cold (30's or lower) lithium pack kills them pretty fast, because, science. 99.999% the packs have no charge protection when they are cold.

Consumer grade lithium-ion batteries cannot be charged below 0C (32F). Although the packs appear to be charging normally, plating of metallic lithium occurs on the anode while on a sub-freezing charge. The plating is permanent and cannot be removed. If done repeatedly, such damage can compromise the safety of the pack. The battery will become more vulnerable to failure if subjected to impact, crush or high rate charging.

RAKC
    Great info to post!!! New guys need this info with the cold season coming up fast. Thanks for the post.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I made this very mistake when I first started night riding,,,,, Thanx 127.0.0.1 for the reminder!!! Cheers!!

EAT MORE GRIME
    I did this in the early days myself...no pack could last me a full season. but I come in and knock the snow off my bike and put pack on charger. did not know I was killing them

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'm sure there are many out there who have done this whether they will admit it or not, lol. Can get pretty costly with the price of some battery brands.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Funny enough, thermal protection is a standard feature in cellphone, notebook, camera etc. batteries, but rarely found in the bike lights. BTW, it was initially supposed to be included in the MagigShine 4-cell battery PCB (the CS-P2SE02 board have traces & places for the related components, and soldering points for thermistor), but not actually implemented in the production.

Probably manufacturers don't believe it's possible to cycle through winter...