Wilma 830 to 1000 lumens worth it?- Mtbr.com
    BBW
    mtbr member

Wilma 830 to 1000 lumens worth it?

Thinking about upgrading the light or looking for something with a different pattern since I'm currently running the Wilma on the bars with a Tesla on the helmet..
    Is it a big difference in lumens?
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    You remember that there's no wide lens for the Wilma XPG, and there will not be in the future.
    So only upgrade if the standard lens is OK for you. IMHO it's not wide enough for the bars. I bought the upgrade but don't use it because of that.

Otherwise yes, the upgrade is significantly, noticeably brighter. The Wilma XPG is comparable to the old Betty in output.

mtbr member
    If you are looking for a light with a nice wide pattern try the Baja Designs Strykr. I really like the wide pattern reflector. It's not going to be any brighter than what you currently have but if you are looking for more peripheral light it should do the trick. Coupled with your Tesla helmet light you will have good distance with the spot on the helmet and great side to side illumination with the wide reflector on the bars.
    Contact us with your video production needs.
    [email protected]

mtbr member
    It's way brighter and quite narrow. Won't be a good bar light if you ask me. Sell them both and get a Betty II and the 22 lens for a crazy bright and wide light.
    '08 Turner Highline
    '00 DBR X6

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback_X6
    It's way brighter and quite narrow. Won't be a good bar light if you ask me. Sell them both and get a Betty II and the 22 lens for a crazy bright and wide light.
    Would you say that the Betty on the bars alone makes helmet lights unnecessary? I'm afraid it doesn't...

mtbr member
    I think it was well worth it to upgrade my Wilma 830. The increased output is pretty impressive. I run mine mostly on 60% power which is at least as bright as the old Wilma on full power so that you get longer run times than you were used to. I do use my upgraded Wilma on the helmet though and on the bars I use my upgraded Betty 22. I have gone on rides with just my Betty 22 on the bars alone, but I quickly started missing the helmet light. My opinion is that you will always want a helmet and bar light combo over even the brightest bar light.

BBW
    mtbr member
    thanks... I think I will start my quest for the next handlebar light :-)
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    Would you say that the Betty on the bars alone makes helmet lights unnecessary? I'm afraid it doesn't...
    No, not at all. But I would think if you could get away with a one light setup that would be the way to go.
    The upgrade is insane, it is like a totally new light for sure. I just want it wider for the bars myself included with everyone else.
    '08 Turner Highline
    '00 DBR X6

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    Thinking about upgrading the light or looking for something with a different pattern since I'm currently running the Wilma on the bars with a Tesla on the helmet..
    I've upgraded two Wilma's and two Betty's now with the new kits from Lupine.
    Well worth it in my opinion. They are much brighter now.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I still have the Tesla for the helmet and don't foresee changing that- nothing else appeals to me right now. I think Lupine will eventually upgrade the Tesla too.

On the bar, I use the Betty but have now upgraded it to the new LED board and the 22 degree lens. It is a pretty significant improvement and the light is brighter but different. Before, it had one medium-sized swath of bright light with great reach. Now it has a similar main beam but adds on a pretty wide peripheral beam that is less bright than the main beam. It is really effective on the bar with more natural peripheral-vision transition. So you basically don't feel like you have that tunnel vision at speed and obstacles (like sleeping or huddled Deer) are more visible before you come right up to them.

My friend uses my Wilma with the 16 degree lens. It is all the light he needs but he is also the kind who rode by moonlight a few times.

BBW
    mtbr member
    what about using the tesla on the handlebars and upgrade the wilma and use it on the helmet (until the Tesla is upgraded; I mean, Tesla beam is super wide for handlebar!)
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    what about using the tesla on the handlebars and upgrade the wilma and use it on the helmet (until the Tesla is upgraded; I mean, Tesla beam is super wide for handlebar!)
    I'v tried this too, but didn't like it. Even though the Tesla is wide, not bright enough outside its hotspot. So I was running it constantly on high mode, and the Wilma at 60%, and even so the Wilma was overwhelming the Tesla. If you point the Tesla downwards then the hotspot is very annoying.
    But that's just my 2c.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by radirpok
    I'v tried this too, but didn't like it. Even though the Tesla is wide, not bright enough outside its hotspot. So I was running it constantly on high mode, and the Wilma at 60%, and even so the Wilma was overwhelming the Tesla. If you point the Tesla downwards then the hotspot is very annoying.
    But that's just my 2c.
    I now what you mean... I just feel I need more on the handlebar department and don't want to sell the Wilma
    Would like to keep the Lupine family and the betty is out of the question $$$
    I guess Lupine is only going to sell 1 bar light (Betty) and all the rest as helmet options?
    Not giving Lupine user many choices here
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    BBW, have you given any thought to the new Dinotte 1200L for the bars?? For about $400 you get the whole set up and the same XPG's.Should make a good team as there outputs are simlar.Hopefully Dinotte will make a 6/8 cell battery soon and give the 1200L a driver upgrade to reach it's potential.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt
    BBW, have you given any thought to the new Dinotte 1200L for the bars?? For about $400 you get the whole set up and the same XPG's.Should make a good team as there outputs are simlar.Hopefully Dinotte will make a 6/8 cell battery soon and give the 1200L a driver upgrade to reach it's potential.
    Yeah, in fact that is my first choice if I switch my Wilma
    I just want some beam shots!!!!!
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I myself have the XPG wilma and it's a fantastic light. What i really notice most,is how bright the light is on a lower setting.I'm saying this because dispite the Dinotte 1200+'s under driven XPG's, there are 8 of them.Even been driven at only 60 or 70%, it will give you a tonne of light.Hopefully you get some accurate photo's that convinces you to go for it.Good Luck!!

BBW
    mtbr member
    I just pulled the plug on the Wilma's upgrade... not ready to leave the Lupine family and I'm emotionaly attached to my Wilma :-)
    If I can make it work with the Tesla, then I'll sell it and get that Dinnote
    I will post some pics of the upgrade made with a tripod so people can have the perspective
    BBW. MS, RD

BBW
    mtbr member
    Pics will come soon but the dark room test is OMFG!!!! this thing is bright
    It washes out the Tesla completely (and the Tesla is really bright, I usually run it in medium setting)
    Funny how the Tesla was looking so pale hahaha
    I'll try them tonite and will see how I like the Wilma on the bars; even when not so bright it just throw so much light!
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Pics will come soon but the dark room test is OMFG!!!! this thing is bright
    It washes out the Tesla completely (and the Tesla is really bright, I usually run it in medium setting)
    Funny how the Tesla was looking so pale hahaha
    I'll try them tonite and will see how I like the Wilma on the bars; even when not so bright it just throw so much light!

So good to hear BBW,I myself find the Wilma has a bit more throw than the Betty.It's just a SICK!! light.Now your in the driver's seat.If you keep your Tesla you can just run the Wilma at 30%or/55%,and krank it up on the downhill!!

mtbr member
    I think you made a good choice in upgrading the Wilma. It really is such a nice light and I know I would have a hard time ever getting rid of mine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'd like you to switch back to your old avatar, BBW.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    I'd like you to switch back to your old avatar, BBW.
    So you don't like me as much as her? hahaha
    BBW. MS, RD

BBW
    mtbr member
    The upgrade is, like indebt said just plain "sick"!!!!! I was running the Wilma at 60% and it was so bright that I was getting complains from a guy with 2 MS :-)
    Its actually wider than the 830L pattern with regular lens and it has SO MUCH light that I really didn't miss the wide lens (yes it would be nice). The Tesla wascomplementing a little bit the wider part of the beam and since the Wilma is so bright, I can't really get bothered by the "spot" of the Tesla; they blend very nicelly and the amount of light with Wilma 60% and Tesla 30% (medium) was incredible. Also Wilma 100% and Tesla 100%, was insane and innecesary almost
    AWESOME!!!!!!
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Glad you like the Wilma upgrade, I also did a nightride last night, and yes, it is bright, but I'm still uncomfortable with its width. Perhaps I can sell it on ebay and also sell my kidney and upgrade to the Betty? We'll see.

mtbr member
    I'm thinking of selling my first Wilma that has the upgrade along with the old wide lens also since I have a Betty II coming along with a wide lens also. Maybe you'd like that instead!
    '08 Turner Highline
    '00 DBR X6

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback_X6
    I have a Betty II coming along with a wide lens also. Maybe you'd like that instead!
    Yeah, I'd like that for sure but I simply can't justify spending so much on a light that I don't NEED. Also, I'd need to convinve the mistress and she is not easily convinced... ;-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just enjoyed looking at that avatar...always hoping a full-zize version would pop up somewhere. Instead, now we have a blurry pic of you.

So you don't like me as much as her? hahaha

mtbr member
    Well if anybody is looking for a mint 830L Wilma that has all the upgrades let me know I may sell it. Now I have 3950 lumens with 2 Wilma's and a Betty II!
    '08 Turner Highline
    '00 DBR X6

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I sold my kidney. I also promised myself that I won't be buying new lights in the next 5 years. And now I have it, and the first night ride is going to be tonight...

First impressions so far ('been playing with it in the garden):
    - beam shape is very similar to the upgraded Wilma (not surprisingly), the 22* Betty is still pretty much a spot light... hm.
    - as it turns out my eBay-ed bottle battery (not original Lupine) can't provide the necessary power when the Betty is on full 24W (light turns off immediately). No problem however, switch on the 22W "economy" mode and all is fine (light output is pretty much the same). Well, that's a feature nice to have!
    - outside the main beam - as with the Wilma - there are a lot of artifacts, but I think - I hope - I will not notice these when actually riding.
    - the throw is HUGE, I can't really imagine who'd need the 16* lens, this wider one is still pretty much overkill....
    - it is not a "lone" light, eg. you definitely need a helmet light to see properly (so it's not like the Full-Beam light, for example).
    - there is considerable difference between low level modes (3%, 10%, 35%) and the high level modes (55% and 100%). The 55% is almost as bright as the 100% mode. Which means it is brighter than a Wilma on full but consumes significantly less power. Nice!

All-in-all, I'm not quite convinced yet... I'm a bit worried about peripheral vision, although based on wall-projection the amount of light spill is approximately equal to the old 18* Wilma... I will see what happens tonight.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by radirpok
    I sold my kidney. I also promised myself that I won't be buying new lights in the next 5 years. And now I have it, and the first night ride is going to be tonight...

First impressions so far ('been playing with it in the garden):
    - beam shape is very similar to the upgraded Wilma (not surprisingly), the 22* Betty is still pretty much a spot light... hm.
    - as it turns out my eBay-ed bottle battery (not original Lupine) can't provide the necessary power when the Betty is on full 24W (light turns off immediately). No problem however, switch on the 22W "economy" mode and all is fine (light output is pretty much the same). Well, that's a feature nice to have!
    - outside the main beam - as with the Wilma - there are a lot of artifacts, but I think - I hope - I will not notice these when actually riding.
    - the throw is HUGE, I can't really imagine who'd need the 16* lens, this wider one is still pretty much overkill....
    - it is not a "lone" light, eg. you definitely need a helmet light to see properly (so it's not like the Full-Beam light, for example).
    - there is considerable difference between low level modes (3%, 10%, 35%) and the high level modes (55% and 100%). The 55% is almost as bright as the 100% mode. Which means it is brighter than a Wilma on full but consumes significantly less power. Nice!

All-in-all, I'm not quite convinced yet... I'm a bit worried about peripheral vision, although based on wall-projection the amount of light spill is approximately equal to the old 18* Wilma... I will see what happens tonight.
    Waiting for your review and some beam shots
    Hopefully I will be able to afford that thing someday
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hi radirpok,, i just got back from a nighter a few hours ago,and your minor concern about artifacts i think won't be noticable to you on the trails.My Betty 2 does have a tonne on the wall,but myself i don't notice on the trails.I'm surprised you have the same issue with your Wilma though,as there doesn't seem to be any artifacts with mine.A little strange that there would be some inconsistencies with two identical lights Anyway,,,your going to have a blast at daytime speeds,enjoy!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Waiting for your review and some beam shots
    Hopefully I will be able to afford that thing someday
    I can't afford it either... but: I don't have a GPS, a heart rate monitor, carbon or full suspension frame, or a videocamera... etc. For me, having good lights is important, so I sacrifice other things to be able to afford the best lights. (But lets do a little calculation: it didn't cost as much as it seems. For a start, I already had the battery & charger, so I only bought a lighthead. That's $620 at Gretna, ~500 euros at Lupine. Then if I can sell my old Wilma & upgrades & Peppi for ~200 euros that makes it a ~ 300 EUR investment. Is that really so outrageously expensive? The Diablo cost ~230 EUR btw... yes, I know I can have a Magicshine for < $100, thank you ;-P)

Speaking of which... I had my first ride with the Betty. My second impressions are a bit different from the first... ;-)

I was worrying about the peripherals, but I needn't have, it's excellent, on forest trails, fireroads and singletracks this light is amazing. The best thing about it is how effortlessly it lights everything up - it is very close to daylight, in color temperature and brightness also - you don't feel that you are riding with a light, but rather riding in the middle of a fully lit stadium. I was really amazed the first time I experienced it - and then I realized I set the head to 3-step mode and I was only in the 55% setting... artifacts were not noticed, so another worry goes to the bin.

And of course, the throw... the question is not whether you can outrun it, but rather if you can see that far at all... I couldn't find a long enough straight road to really match it's potential, and on the fast "schotter" downhill I could ride exactly as fast as during the day - maybe faster. I couldn't find a place for the full beam setting, 55% was always more than enough. On one climb a runner scared me to death when he started cursing behind me loudly (I didn't expect anyone emerge from the darkness), it turned out he got blinded by the light in front of me and wanted to know what kind of light it is.

There is one catch though, you NEED a helmet light with the Betty. The problem is that the hotspot - although a bit larger than the Tesla's - is still not very big, and there is a sharp contrast around it. This means that you have a very bright tunnel in front of you, but if you turn the handlebar sharply - for example, when climbing slowly on technical terrain - then the hotspot moves to the side and you are confronted with pitch black in the front.

Otherwise the beam is very much like the Tesla's beam - only about four times brighter, and a 180 degree halo. I used the Diablo on the helmet, and my problem now is that in the medium mode it is not quite bright enough to match the Betty, but on high mode it has a short runtime. So I will try the Wilma on the helmet, to see if it's any good (I'd hate to let go the cable-free setup though). Part of my Betty deal was that the Wilma must go... but I'd like to at least try these two together to see something really spectacular.

Anyway, I think I'm going to ride a lot this winter ;-D
    Last edited by radirpok; 10-29-2010 at 03:55 AM.

Nompton, OK
    Nice radirpok, good to hear it comes pretty close to the hype! Definitely envious of the new output and wider beam!

You say that it still needs a helmet light... How about using IT as a helmet light? Since it is lighter now, would that not be a viable option?

I'm curious why more riders do not put their more powerful light on their helmet, since you can look and see the widest/furthest with your head... This is how I personally prefer it, but it seems most do not. Is there something I'm missing other than the discomfort factor?
    Last edited by russ3706; 10-30-2010 at 08:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

radical?

Check these guys out too. Saw them at a race a few weekends ago, smooth beams are so nice.

http://radical-lights.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Nice light but, $949:00 for 1200 lumens.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Nice light but, $949:00 for 1200 lumens.
    Think that might be aus dollars. Looks like Lupine costs in the same range. Side by side its bright as the betty. Beam looks great.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by raceer2
    Think that might be aus dollars. Looks like Lupine costs in the same range. Side by side its bright as the betty. Beam looks great.
    Which Betty??

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Guy said it was a few weeks old. Assuming latest betty. It had a distinct bright spot in the middle. This area was very bright. Had a large bottle battery.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    There are so many versions of the betty still been sold,would be really surprised if it was the betty2.Did it have the intergrated switch?I'm only questioning this as the new betty has 7 XPG's at 24 watts giving an honest 1850 lumens. Claims that the radical light with it's 4 XPG's is as bright, may be a stretch.Not sure what $949,00 works out in USD,but Radical may have claims of the most expensive 4x XPG system yet. With it's larger lamphead i could see it maybe been a little brighter than the XPG Wilma as it would run a little cooler. All been said,it looks like a very good light.Having the option to upgrade LED's as there always improving is good to see.Should be mandatory in high end lighting systems.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The switch was on 'top' of the light. Does this make it an older unit?

Think the issue might be with the beam thats out on the trail too. The betty had a very distinct/sharp bright middle which meant a more jarring and sharp cut off. The radical-lights unit was even/smooth. The radical also was a lump of alu whereas the betty was i suspect not as efficient just looking at the limited options for cooling. Plus betty with 7leds it would generate a lot more heat so suspect it could not been driven hard.This would also mean its not putting out as much as lupine claim? Even with the larger lamphead the radical felt a lot lighter. I mean noticeably lighter. The guy that owned the betty was also surprised :-)
    Agree being able to upgrade an expensive light should be a given :-)

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by raceer2
    The switch was on 'top' of the light. Does this make it an older unit?

Think the issue might be with the beam thats out on the trail too. The betty had a very distinct/sharp bright middle which meant a more jarring and sharp cut off. The radical-lights unit was even/smooth. The radical also was a lump of alu whereas the betty was i suspect not as efficient just looking at the limited options for cooling. Plus betty with 7leds it would generate a lot more heat so suspect it could not been driven hard.This would also mean its not putting out as much as lupine claim? Even with the larger lamphead the radical felt a lot lighter. I mean noticeably lighter. The guy that owned the betty was also surprised :-)
    Agree being able to upgrade an expensive light should be a given :-)
    Even the "enemy" acknowledge the Betty's output now:
    http://www.bikelightingsystem.com/seca1400.html
    So that Betty MUST have been an older Betty (although the integrated switch indicates an XPG model indeed).
    I'm sorry, but there's no way that 4 XPGs could be driven so that they would be more bright than a 24W 7 XPG unit.
    It could have been the "spot" Betty, which is indeed short on peripheral light, and has a very distinct (and very bright) spot in the middle. In that case of course the other light may have seemed brighter close-up, with a limited throw.
    I agree with the beam shape critics of the Betty though, yes, that middle spot is a bit sharp at the edges, even with their "wide" lens, but there is so much light overall that with a proper helmet mounted light it is simply fantastic on the bars.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    No raceer2, that would be the new Betty2. And as radirpok stated very accurately, the Betty2 has been acknowledged as a true 1800 lumen light. Only thing i can fish for, is that because of the betty's small size it gets hot quickly and if there is no air flow it will power down reducing output even on the high setting. I have the XPG Wilma as well,and it is as bright as the Betty,but with a more narrow beam.The Betty with it's 7XPG's has a wider beam thus more light.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    That explains it then :-)

It must have been the narrow betty2.

There is a lot of light for sure, but is it being used effectively? ie it was not all on the trail. This to me was the most surprising aspect as you would think with 7 leds they could use it more effectively. Guess size of optics also play a big part in this.

The lack of cooling also prob explains your wilma being as bright. That night, was very cool, but we were flashing a few lights around as there were about 4 bodies with various lights at this impromptu shootout :-) This could have made the lights hot reducing performance?

The surprising thing for me was the radical had as much throw as the betty with less leds. Don't think that was based on xpg which prob explains it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Fastcar Diffuser

Like the OP, I run a tesla/wilma combo. The output of the xpg's in the wilma is significant in terms of output, but it is really too spotty for trails IMO.

Reading threads, there was a question asking about anybody diffusing a magic shine. A reply came from "gunnysgt" about some material he found on a flashlite forum.

I looked into it and took the plunge based on my questions in that post, and reading posts on the FL forum.

Long story short, the stuff works.

Looking at beam patterns on my wall, it reduces the hot spots and moves the light out just like a wide lens would. It benefits both lights from what I can see. Yes, you will lose throw, but with all the output these things have now, this stuff lets you use the light better for a given activity.

I cut patterns out of both the 5 layer and 10 layer material for both lights. It's an inexpensive way to "adjust" these lights for different uses. You just drop them in behind the glass. Spot lights to flood lights, take your pick.

I am not camera savy, so beam shots are not available, but trust me, its worth a look.

http://www.light-reviews.com/fastcar_diffuser/

fc
    head minion Administrator

I actually have both and I think I took photos. The difference is significant from what I remember. I'll dig them up and post later.

The Wilma is the true bread and butter of the Lupine line-up. It is their most useable and barely affordable light. The light output compared to size of the XPG Wilma is impressive.

fc

fc
    Here's the old Wilma rated at 920 lumens. I measured it on my room/lux setup at 66 lux.

Here's the new Wilma at 1100 lumens. I measured it at 98 lux.

Since it's not really any wider, it's true advantage is in how far it throws. You can see very far with this light, aka travel at very high speeds.

Note the cyclist in the center of the photo to get an idea of the distance.

Last year, I actually thought the Wilma XPG was better than the Betty XPG. Aside from being cheaper, it was more useable since the light beam width/brightness ratio wasn't too intense. On the old Betty XPG, it was so intense that it was hard to see outside the light tunnel. This year, the Betty II XPG solves that by spreading the light to 22 degrees.

fc

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Sorry,a little off topic but was wondering Francois if you have made a change in the way your measuring the lux outputs this year? On an earlier you video you claimes 103 lux on the XPG Wilma and now 98lux. Also the 23 watt XPG betty last year had a 165 lux measurement,this year the 24 watt Betty i think you claimed 150 lux.

fc
    Sorry,a little off topic but was wondering Francois if you have made a change in the way your measuring the lux outputs this year? On an earlier you video you claimes 103 lux on the XPG Wilma and now 98lux. Also the 23 watt XPG betty last year had a 165 lux measurement,this year the 24 watt Betty i think you claimed 150 lux.
    Good question. I'll re-check everything. There was one evening where I did initial tests and the lights were showing up 3-5 lux lower. There is a new massage chair here and it might be skewing results.

One interesting thing is the Betty I is definitely measuring higher than the Betty II. On my last test:
    Betty I xpg - 166 lux
    Betty II xpg 22 degree - 152 lux

I believe that is because they are refracting the light much more on the Betty II to get the wide 22 degree pattern. That results in light loss. Also, the switch is now on the light head and that produces more heat and reduces heat sink abilities of the light head. So they may have tuned it down. But the Betty II is definitely a much better and useable light as the photos will show.

fc

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Would be interesting if you had a 16 degree lens for the Betty2 to see what it's lux measurement would be??????? Hint,,,hint!!!

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tjl5709
    Like the OP, I run a tesla/wilma combo. The output of the xpg's in the wilma is significant in terms of output, but it is really too spotty for trails IMO.

Reading threads, there was a question asking about anybody diffusing a magic shine. A reply came from "gunnysgt" about some material he found on a flashlite forum.

I looked into it and took the plunge based on my questions in that post, and reading posts on the FL forum.

Long story short, the stuff works.

Looking at beam patterns on my wall, it reduces the hot spots and moves the light out just like a wide lens would. It benefits both lights from what I can see. Yes, you will lose throw, but with all the output these things have now, this stuff lets you use the light better for a given activity.

I cut patterns out of both the 5 layer and 10 layer material for both lights. It's an inexpensive way to "adjust" these lights for different uses. You just drop them in behind the glass. Spot lights to flood lights, take your pick.

I am not camera savy, so beam shots are not available, but trust me, its worth a look.

http://www.light-reviews.com/fastcar_diffuser/
    Tjl thanks for the post. Which one do you use for the Wilma? the 10 layer?
    BBW. MS, RD

fc
    Would be interesting if you had a 16 degree lens for the Betty2 to see what it's lux measurement would be??????? Hint,,,hint!!!

Well, yes and no. They should just stop making that light. It really is of limited use only as a light tunnel that bright will is really not that great as your sight goes outside the tunnel. It is very distracting. Also, it's hard to mate the 16 degree Betty with any other light in the market as there's not much out there bright enough and wide enough to complement it. If you do, then you don't need the 16 degree Betty .

It's all about the 22 degree Betty and I'm afraid a few buyers will get the 16 degree and make an expensive mistake.

fc

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'm one of them Francois as i purchased just before the 22 degree lens was available.That been said, i have the new 22 degree lens and Betty centre mount on it's way.Based on all the reviews,i'm guessing this will be an improvement over what i have.Also,just wanted to thank you for all your work in giving us here on this forum so much usable information. CHEERS!!!

mtbr member
    Francois, which helmet light, if any, would you recommend running with the Betty II 22 degree?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    Francois, which helmet light, if any, would you recommend running with the Betty II 22 degree?

Well I don't know what Francois will recommend, but I run the Betty 22 degree on the bars and the Wilma on the helmet. I think they work absolutely brilliantly together. The Betty has a huge output, but even so when I turn on the Wilma adds a lot to the beam.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusHQ
    Well I don't know what Francois will recommend, but I run the Betty 22 degree on the bars and the Wilma on the helmet. I think they work absolutely brilliantly together. The Betty has a huge output, but even so when I turn on the Wilma adds a lot to the beam.
    Hows that wilma feel on the helmet? does it feel bulky? I was gonna get a piko 3, but I am leaning towards the wilma 5 since the output is so much more than the piko.

JMC
    2011 S works SS 29er
    2015 S Works Epic WC custom
    2018 Stache
    2013 Roubaix Pro Custom

Team RDC Cat 1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMCCRNA
    Hows that wilma feel on the helmet? does it feel bulky? I was gonna get a piko 3, but I am leaning towards the wilma 5 since the output is so much more than the piko.

JMC

No it's not too bulky and my Wilma is the older heavier style that had the switch separate from the head. I did the upgrade on mine so I am getting about 1000 lumens now. My classic style Wilma head weighs 125g and the newer Wilmas with the built in switch weigh less at 112g and put out 1100 lumens. Still I can't lie, I would love to have a 55g lighthead on my helmet like the Piko, but it just doesn't have enough output for me yet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusHQ
    No it's not too bulky and my Wilma is the older heavier style that had the switch separate from the head. I did the upgrade on mine so I am getting about 1000 lumens now. My classic style Wilma head weighs 125g and the newer Wilmas with the built in switch weigh less at 112g and put out 1100 lumens. Still I can't lie, I would love to have a 55g lighthead on my helmet like the Piko, but it just doesn't have enough output for me yet.
    Thanks for the input. I think I may go with the piko helmet and a wilma bar. I just came off niterider halogens not too long ago, so the the piko should be plenty. A wilma bar and wilma helmet might be awesome too.

JMC
    2011 S works SS 29er
    2015 S Works Epic WC custom
    2018 Stache
    2013 Roubaix Pro Custom

Team RDC Cat 1

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Tjl thanks for the post. Which one do you use for the Wilma? the 10 layer?
    I have cut pieces of both 5 layer and 10 layer for both lites. Looking at projections on the wall (I have not had time to ride) I think 5 layer on the tesla (dissipates that brite spot) and 10 layer on the wilma (wide, even beam pattern with basically no hot spot) would do it for nite biking.

I'd get enough to do both lights. With the tesla, just use the glass cover as a template. For the wilma, use some card stock and trace the lense cap and trim until it fits inside. (I couldn't get the glass out of the wilma) Cuts easy with scissors. I but the rough surface facing out between the glass lense and the light. Tighten it up, your good to go.

Its getting to the point that these new lights are so brite, we can now have options on how we use that beam. This is an inexpensive way to modify the pattern.

Members who have read this thread: 0